vagov
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 1995 suzuki vs800

ridley motorcycles

#1 Unread post by vagov »

i am considering buying a ridley motorcycle for my wife since its a automatic, easy for her to drive, plus its a nice bar hopper. no gears to shift. however they are pricey. just wondering if anyone out there has one or knows of one to get the pros and cons on . before i dish out alot of money.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: ridley motorcycles

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

I'll guess one of the cons is Ridley went bankrupt (chapter 7) and is out of business. The only Ridley motorcycle you're going to buy is used or New Old Stock. If you go to the "Ridley" website, you're going to a company called "2 Wheel Ventures", which is apparently owned by Clay Ridley's son, Jay. (Anyone smell a tax dodge here?) 2 Wheel Ventures bought up the leftover parts stock when Ridley folded, and provides parts support.

More info right here on TMW: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... Ridley.htm There's also no 2011 Ridleys, and I'm betting there will be no 2012's, etc, etc.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

bearcat
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

#3 Unread post by bearcat »

My daughter has her pristine Ridley for sale due to health reasons. Very low miles, runs great. Pm me if you want more info.
Old guys rule
2008 Burgman 650 Exec. "scooter"

bearcat
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

#4 Unread post by bearcat »

This is my daughters Ridley which is for sale for $13,500. Less then 2500 miles, year 2008, many upgrades.

her email is..... jastasarge@hotmail.com
stacys bike 2.bmp
stacys bike 2.bmp (101.94 KiB) Viewed 10666 times
Old guys rule
2008 Burgman 650 Exec. "scooter"

vagov
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by vagov »

alittle more than i would like to spend at this time, like to stay around 10 . just wondering what you think about the bikes performance and reliability?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:I'll guess one of the cons is Ridley went bankrupt (chapter 7) and is out of business. The only Ridley motorcycle you're going to buy is used or New Old Stock. If you go to the "Ridley" website, you're going to a company called "2 Wheel Ventures", which is apparently owned by Clay Ridley's son, Jay. (Anyone smell a tax dodge here?) 2 Wheel Ventures bought up the leftover parts stock when Ridley folded, and provides parts support.

More info right here on TMW: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... Ridley.htm There's also no 2011 Ridleys, and I'm betting there will be no 2012's, etc, etc.
Yup, 100% right on the money there.

Ridley made the most successful automatic transmission motorcycles IMO ever as the entire line was automatic. I think Ridley got into a lot of legal "hot water" using the "Auto-Glide" naming of their models, Harley-Davidson didn't like that as they felt it was trademarked to them. Maybe the legal costs did Ridley in?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Iron Lung
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2008 Ridley Auto-Glide Classic

#7 Unread post by Iron Lung »

Dear Vagov,

Hello, I am the owner of that Ridley that's for sale. My father posted that for me. I absolutely love my Ridley. It has been very reliable and the performance is excellent! The only reason I am selling it is due to a non-reversable health condition other wise I would keep it forever! My husband told me he doesn't care if I ever sell it because he will put ape hangers and a different seat on it and he would drive it! :lol:

It has been garage kept since the day I bought it and sat all winter, when my husband went out the other week to start it he said it started right up and he drove it around the neighborhood with no problems at all. I would be willing to take less than $13500 for it if you're interested make me an offer...

Thanks! -Stacy

vagov
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by vagov »

i will keep you in mind, im looking for one alittle more local to pennslyvania, if i dont find one i,ll let you know. either way i wish you well on your sale and also your health!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:I think Ridley got into a lot of legal "hot water" using the "Auto-Glide" naming of their models, Harley-Davidson didn't like that as they felt it was trademarked to them. Maybe the legal costs did Ridley in?
I can't remember seeing the $$$ amount of the settlement with H-D published anywhere, but it was a 6-year legal fight which Ridley settled to H-D's satisfaction, the lawyer costs had to be significant. The bankruptcy was announced right after the settlement, IIRC. Likely a combination of legal fees, the recession, and they were a small company, probably without big cash reserves or wealthy investors.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S