tonyric
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '11 Victory Cross Country

Re: Cruisers/Tourers vs. Sport Tourers

#31 Unread post by tonyric »

So, throw that list I started out of the window.....

I bought a 2011 Victory Cross Country (Black) yesterday...

From the moment I got here a year ago, I knew my Vstar was going to be replaced with something nicer. I spent months reading reviews, forums and consumer reports of the Yamaha FJR, Kawasaki Concours 14, Kawasaki Vaquero and Suzuki M109r. I had all but settled on the FJR or C14. I was home on vacation in March/April and went shopping, sitting on bikes and checking them out, etc. I went to a Kawasaki dealer to look at the Vaquero who also is a Victory dealer and immediately fell in lust with the XC. My wife and I went ot Las Vegas for a few days and I rented an 09 XC for a day and rode for 8 hours minus lunch, water, fuel and smoke stops, so about 7 hours total. My longest single ride by far in my 3 years of riding. In that 7 hours I put 450 miles on the XC of mixed city and highway riding. I fell from lust and into love with this bike. I had ridden a few of my friends bikes and they were nicer than my Vstar but nothing compared to this bike. It was mine and I had to have it. With my Vstar I would ride for 4 hours and be sore that night and at least the next day. It was like a paint shaker at 70+. That night I wasn't sore just tired (OMG the clutch is heavy) and not sore the next day or the next at all. I just had to have it.

Yesterday I was looking at cycletrader and saw the bike I wanted in CT. I sent a request for the out the door price. $15649 was the reply. Done deal. I even got them to agree to hold the bike for me in storage until I return in September. No problem the owner said to me and agreed to take the cash payment in 3 installments before I took possession.

So fellow Victory riders. I am now one of you and I now can't wait for the next 80 days to go by REALLY fast!!!! I will post pics after I pick her up in September.

Cheers
Tony from Bagram.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#32 Unread post by ceemes »

jstark47 wrote:
curty39 wrote:I currently own a c50 Suzuki and want to upgrade.... I like the cruiser style. But I am not totally turned off by the sport tourer. I am trying to narrow down a few bikes so I can make my decision. I am interested in the big cruisers... Go big or go home.. Like I said I am still open for other possibilities. 1800cc or bigger I have been eying up.
OK, so what exactly does "upgrade" mean to you? What do you want more of? Power? Comfort? Touring capability? Handling ability, like to strafe the twisties? There's going to be different answers depending on what you want. Do you want a bigger cruiser? A power cruiser? A big touring cruiser? A sport-tourer - these are all very different types of bikes.

If you want a sport-tourer, forget about "1800cc"..... it doesn't exist, and you don't need it anyway. Current I4 sport-tourers are already insanely quicker than they have any need to be...... :devil:

Hell, my old Connie 1000 is insanely quick, tho no as quick as more modern models. Still, I have to carefully watch what I am doing on the highway, otherwise the local speed tax collectors would be issuing me an assessment....aka speeding fine.
Always ask why.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#33 Unread post by JVRR »

It's funny you went Victory. I was about to post, for what its worth, the Seattle Police Department is in testing and its pretty unanimous thus for for the Victory. They may not ride huge distances every day, but they do spend a good several hours every day on 'em.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)