I kiss my dog on the mouth

curty39
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Cruisers/Tourers vs. Sport Tourers

#22 Unread post by curty39 »

I currently ride 90% of the time with my wife, so when we ride together I ride in her comfort zone. I am looking for a bike that will be more challenging for me than my c50, but not exhausting. I feel I have gone as far as I can go with my skills on this bike. I have been riding on and off for 30 years. More on than off. Iam 6' 2" and 190lbs so I think the only thing left to challenge me is a bigger bagger. I have ridden a sport tourer the FJR, and found the leg positioning uncomfortable and to much heat coming from the motor. But there is lots to choose from. triumph rocket 3t or honda 1800vtx ,suzuki c109, vulcan, etc. Just wondering if anyone has a big bagger, and knows some of the pros and cons of said models.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#23 Unread post by jstark47 »

curty39 wrote:Iam 6' 2" and 190lbs so I think the only thing left to challenge me is a bigger bagger. I have ridden a sport tourer the FJR, and found the leg positioning uncomfortable and to much heat coming from the motor.
You wrap a big-bore inline 4 up in a lot of plastic, you're gonna get heat. I have the same issue with my Triumph Trophy. Feels good this time of year, but July..... meh, not so much!

Forget sport-tourers, the bigger sport-tourers are all going to feel somewhat like the FJR to a degree. You want a bagger, get a bagger. Guy on this forum with the user name dr_bar has a Royal Star Venture, send him a Private Message. (Tell him I referred you, he knows me... :mrgreen: )

JS
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

tonyric
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '11 Victory Cross Country

#24 Unread post by tonyric »

So, after investigating, a lot of reading, figuring out what I want, I have come up with the following list:

Long distance rider
Comfort
Performance
Ability to pack for multiple days
Looks
Entry and final cost (pre and post farkle)

All of the bikes I have been looking at with just the possibility of a seat change are GREAT long distance runners and comfort should not be an issue as I come from cruisers and don't mind the feet forward seating as long as it isn't extreme. Pillions and a trunk and a strapped bag can be fitted (or are included) with all of the bikes. Performance, the ST's at >1l and the cruisers at 1700-1800cc will provide the performance. This leaves Looks and cost.....

I found, for me, that the looks of the full baggers with the fairing (for the comfort factor) and the trunk just look "old man"ish to me. Where the fairings on the ST's just look right and look good. Cost, the baggers I am looking at are in the 17K+ range (talking MSRP) new where the ST's are under 15K, hit various websites and all of the bikes can be had for about 3K under MSRP. This buys a lot of upgrades like a new seat, trunk, electronic cruise, new windshield, etc.

I think, unless the connie or feejer just don't feel right when I toss a leg over them, this is the way I will be going with the preference leaning towards the feejer.

P.S. I will be looking for the MFS ARC-ST courses to aid in becoming confident with the new style bike so I can have fun on her while remaining safe.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#25 Unread post by slimcolo »

Have you checked about buying a bike through the PX? I know that you could order (in the 80's not sure about still) Harley from PX in Germany and save 15 - 20% on the total price, then pick at the local state side dealer.

Your list should be about 12 - 15 bikes. then as soon as you get chance to "test" drive them find out which one meets your riding style. Spend a couple of weeks to a couple of months to decide/find a better deal. You said you return in Sep 2011. If you have leave first try to test bikes then. September is a good time to buy a bike as they will be a bit cheaper as dealers will be discounting them top make way for next years models and sell before inventory.

tonyric
Rookie
Rookie

#26 Unread post by tonyric »

Yup, I can get a harley for about 10% off list. Already checked them and have the prices listed, and even though I have all but eliminated cruisers from my list, I still need to hop on them and try them out. I will be home for a couple weeks the beginning of April (well other than 4 nights in Vegas) and plan to ride as many as possible and make a final decision based on that. Then using the end of the season specials and negotiating power grab one when I get home. List of 12-15 bikes? There aren't that many that I like the looks of so my list is much smaller than that. Other than the connie and feejer that fits all of what I am looking for at a reasonable cost is the F800ST.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#27 Unread post by Wrider »

Did you check out the ST1300 too? It, the Connie, and the FJR are all very very similar.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

tonyric
Rookie
Rookie

#28 Unread post by tonyric »

Wrider wrote:Did you check out the ST1300 too? It, the Connie, and the FJR are all very very similar.
Ya I did and I will hop on one if available as they are in the same showroom as the connie.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#29 Unread post by JC Viper »

Ninja 1000 is said to be very comfortable and has good range and it has an adjustable windscreen along with the thrill of a Z1000. Then we have the Triumph Tiger 800 said to be coming out soon and from what I've read to be a good bike.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

RideN
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#30 Unread post by RideN »

The ST1300 and the Concours 14 are on my short list. Both do a great job of blocking the wind when you need it, and allowing it when you want it. I have read alot about both and can't find anything negative except for the heat issue on the Concours (which was supposedly addressed in the 2009 model year) Around here the Concours seems to go about $1000 cheaper than the ST1300.