gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail

"Casual" Rider - yes or no?

#1 Unread post by gerjets »

I was at the beginning of a 5 hour ride last weekend on my 2010 Heritage Softail Classic and hit a stop light where I pulled up next to a guy and his wife (vs. a dude and his ol' lady) riding a HD Touring bike. I took a quick glance and noticed the guy wearing cargo shorts and flip flops and his passenger wife wearing similar attire.

What caught my attention was the dude wearing cargo shorts and flip flops. Yes, FLIP FLOPS - not tennis shoes, sandals, etc. They were like shower flip flops. His bike must have been over 800 lbs. My first thought was WTF???

I've been riding for many years so I'm kind of set in my ways. As an example, I ALWAYS wear jeans and boots over my ankles. I recognize that I'm an old dude so I'm wondering - am I just old and need to accept new trends OR was that dude a complete friggin' idiot?

I'll use your input as my guide.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: "Casual" Rider - yes or no?

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

LOL I can't imagine riding a bike in flip flops. I have only seen one person ever riding a bike in flip flops....and it was a BMW R1150GS. :shock:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

You don't need to accept any "trends". But you also don't need to pass judgement on anyone else's riding choices. I ride with helmet / boots / gloves / jacket / overpants 95% of the time, the other 5% I have everything except the overpants. I live in NJ, but my 2nd job is in Bristol, PA, right across the river. Bristol's got to be the capital of the "no gear riding society of America"!! No helmet law in PA for starts, but they don't wear any other gear either. Except sunglasses. Always gotta have their shades on.

It used to bother me. Now? Not so much....... I make my choices, they make theirs. I'll live with the consequences of my choices (including the choice to ride in the first place), they can live with the consequences of theirs.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13

#4 Unread post by agraebner »

I agree with jstark47 with one exception. I believe that this type of rider may be bringing a bad light to the sport and along with MY only helmet law concern, people should sign a waiver saying that the rest of us dont have to pay for there reconstruction or care later. If you old enough to make choices then you should accept the outcome of them.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail

#5 Unread post by gerjets »

Hyperr...I was thinking about my toes when I first noticed the flip flops. Ouch!

Jstark47...agreed, I don't pass judgement on anyone - getting better at that with my age...I also ride in PA a lot...I ride with dudes from MD (helmet law state) who stop at the PA border and take their helmets off...I'm ok with whatever they want to do..I do my own thing...I need to visit Bristol for grins...like you, I don't judge.

Agraebner...my insurance states that if I choose to NOT wear a helmet in a state that doesn't require one, that they don't pay. I obviously wear a helmet everywhere (DOT approved 1/2 shell). It just doesn't matter that much to me...to each his own, I guess :-)

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#6 Unread post by mogster »

I don't see a problem with making a judgement on such irresponsible behaviour.......twine.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#7 Unread post by madjak30 »

Here in Sylvan Lake, I see "squid behavior" all the time...the best one was flip flops, shorts, tank top & helmet on a crotch rocket...but the kicker was the guys 5 or 6yo son was on the back dressed the same...if you want to be a moron, fill your boots but protect your kids...dumb a$$!!

When it is 30C out (hot here) I get a lot of laughing and pointing because of my gear, but I just laugh and shake my head at the "squids" and their "protective gear"...the laughing used to bother me ("pee" me off really), but now I know that it is just people that don't understand the risks involved with riding...I choose safety over style (why the hell else would I wear a jacket that says "ROCKET" all over it??)

I guess I am judgemental, but hey it's their choice...I just choose to laugh at them!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

VI Shadow
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Shadow 1100

#8 Unread post by VI Shadow »

I recognize that I'm an old dude so I'm wondering - am I just old and need to accept new trends OR was that dude a complete friggin' idiot?

I vote idiot. As for judging others. I agree to a point but as a Canadian where my tax dollars pay for the medical for idiots like this when they do something stupid, I think I have the right to judge :eek:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

gerjets wrote:Hyperr...I was thinking about my toes when I first noticed the flip flops. Ouch!
That's what I mean as a HD Big Twin nor the BMW Oilhead have anything remotely close to a butter smooth tranny!
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

People in the Okanagan dress like this all the time. Ignorance is bliss (but sometimes not for as long as one would hope). It's 30C+ outside for most of the summer usually and I still wear the basics: helmet (full coverage), boots, gloves, (vented leather with armour) jacket, jeans. I often am on the highway though or taking a short in town trip. With all the mountain ranges it is sometimes +30C for an hour and then +10C for an hour.

I bicycle more often than not while in town rather than moto, cuz i like to stay in shape and enjoy more sun. If i think a nice vented cordura-nylon jacket with some armour is probably the way to go any place that is this hot or hotter consistently. Similar pants would be good, or something along the lines of an Aerostitch suit so you can where shorts underneath and enjoy the sun when off the bike.

Two recent stories come to mind: one guy broke his leg when the bike slipped away from him a little at a stop, and it eased over onto his leg and slowwwwly snapped it (heavy harley i think). A boot may not always save your leg in this case, but it probably beats a bare leg). Then another guy i met has road rash on his back, legs and arm... he says the pain, etc has lasted so long, all summer, and he's still redressing his arm everyday weeks after a crash (that wasnt his fault either). He did say he will never ride with proper clothing again.

ya live ya learn. or not.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)