jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Riding blind - a geezer's tale

#1 Unread post by jstark47 »

Well, not so much a geezer - I'm only 54. But some things don't work like 24..... :mrgreen: Eyesight is one. Especially night vision.

You go where you look, right? What if you look, but don't see? I worked a bit too late one night last week. It was all the way dark when I left. I was riding my Trophy. Trophy's the heaviest and most powerful of my bikes - it's the most demanding to ride well, but the most rewarding, too. My daily commute is of course a route I know very well. But I was really having trouble - not able to really see, which made me less confident, which started breeding muscular tension (as well as being tired), which ..... you can see where this is going. Trophy's a bike that has to be maneuvered with total committment. "Playing it safe" (pulling your punches) with leaning, body positioning, etc, actually is more dangerous. If you're loose and relaxed, the Trophy's a blast. Tighten up, and it feels like a top heavy pig, just waiting for a chance to bite you back.

I think there's a couple things going on here. While I have no trouble seeing lights, seeing into the dark areas and shadows is harder now - less and less detail is picked up by my eyes. Second, without general illumination, my eyes just don't want to focus on anything. No focus means less visual references for the processer in the brain, which means that semiautonomous "go where you look" feedback loop ain't working so well. Third, a day on the computer screen probably aggravates the whole thing. (Duhh..... ya think???!! :humm: )

Compromises of aging. A few years ago I wrote that I was OK with night riding if on a familiar route. Now? Not so much.

Hell, by the time I'm 94 I might have to cut out night riding altogether!! :devil:

Thoughts, anyone? (not necessarily confined to folk on the "adult" side of 50 :lol: )
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: Riding blind - a geezer's tale

#2 Unread post by pchast »

I don't ride at night. I actually avoid driving either if I can. I've gotten to a point where bright lights seem to actually blind me for a second.
Its a real pain....

Pete
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

ibswooft
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VTX 1800T, 2008 KTM 450 SXF

#3 Unread post by ibswooft »

Sounds like time for a visit to your eye doctor. Been there. Done that. Might need to look at an amber faceshield.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#4 Unread post by MZ33 »

There are eye drops that I got from my eye doctor that help with this. But you may just need glasses. I had lasix surgery, but I found that a new prescription for glasses, which I only need at night, works better than the drops for me.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

I, too, have noticed that my night vision isn't as good as it was back in my younger Army days. It's a natural thing that happens as we get older, unfortunately. I echo the suggestion you visit an eye doctor just to make sure everything is as it should be, as well as the yellow faceshield thingy.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Okay, I have to bite. What is so special about an amber face shield and night riding? I've used amber sun glasses, the so-called blue blockers during the bright days and like the way they brighten things up and seem to sharpen images, but never tried them at night.
Always ask why.

ibswooft
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VTX 1800T, 2008 KTM 450 SXF

#7 Unread post by ibswooft »

Amber sunglasses or faceshield are supposed to work the same at night or day. I use my shield at night some. It seems to help. Just got to remember to take it with me!

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

Maybe try contacts if you aren't already using them?

If I know I'll be riding at night, I will wear my contacts. I have to pick smaller lenses for my glasses because they're a bit too thick and contact lenses make it seem like I can see much more (esp. peripherally). I still don't like riding/driving in the dark though.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#9 Unread post by gsJack »

I'm geting to the point now where I'd rather not drive or ride after dark and I don't except to get home from somewhere not too far away. Oncoming lights are getting very bothersome but should be better after I get around to getting my cataracs fixed. :-) Never gave not riding at night a thought in my 50's and 60's, took my last trip to the mountains with some night riding about 6 years ago. Didn't even start riding until I was 52 so I have no pre 50's riding to compare it too.

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#10 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Mr Stark

I know exactly what you mean. I had to ride home in the dark and in the rain the other night. Spray on my visor scattering the light from oncoming cars as well as pitch black roads made for a really scary ride.

I used to use amber night glasses and though they didn't perform any miracles they did improve my night vision. One company here in the UK, though, has recently developed night vision glasses with clear lenses. I have a pair and they are brilliant. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the company. It might be worth doing some research on this.

I also use trayner glasses. I guess you will have them in the US, but they might be called something different. They are designed for focusing problems but I find they help with night vision as well. They are inconvenient and irritating but they work.

The 'lenses' are two pieces of opaque black plastic pierced by dozens of small holes. This cuts down the amount of light received and forces the eyes to work harder.

You don't wear them all the time. You just wear them for half-an-hour every day for six months in good light and over time your eyesight improves. I wear them to watch TV or read in the evening, or while I'm on the computer. After a while the 'pinhole' effect lessens and you start to see things whole through them (the brain is amazing). Since trying them out I've been able to stop using my reading glasses in good light and I am now more confident riding at night.

I know a couple of other people who have had very good results from them.

Don't let the birthdays get to you! Fight back.

PS British "geezers" can be any age. Are you trying to superannuate us? :wink:
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog