Riding blind - a geezer's tale

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: Riding blind - a geezer's tale

#11 Unread post by roscowgo »

Dark and rain = basically blind for me as far as the road goes. I can see the lines, but that's about it.

It's nerve wracking. My night vision otherwise is pretty good. It was at one point almost spectacular, now not so much.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#12 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I wear glasses. Two years ago at the annual motorcycle show I purchase a really nice pair of wrap around prescription sun glasses. They work great with my full face helmet. I didn't want a tinted faceshield and my regular glasses get pushed around when I wear the helmet while these wrap around ones stay right where you want them. I then got the idea to buy a clear set for riding at night. Best idea I've had in a long time.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

michaelb81
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2011 KTM 250sx

#13 Unread post by michaelb81 »

I have only been street riding for a year or so, but I do have a little trouble at night. My eye doctor says that i am fairly night blind, but contacts don't help that much with that. I have ridden 24hr enduro races, and I am getting better at reading the path ahead by the road angles that I see and feel while riding the streets. If you don't feel to good about waht is ahead I would just put it in one gear lower for every part that you run it in the day time. Maybe look into a different light system.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Welcome michael to the community!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#15 Unread post by blues2cruise »

So....where is the OP? Mr. Stark? What did you do about your vision problems? Glasses?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#16 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote:What did you do about your vision problems? Glasses?
I think it's a combination of dark and eye fatigue from long hours on the computer at work. So when I'm commuting by motorcycle during the shorter months of the year, I try to leave before dark. And if I've been on the computer all day (instead of at meetings), I try to leave after 8 hours.

I do need new glasses, but not for distance, for reading. Bifocals are from the devil, and I'm going back to dedicated reading glasses and will just accept the necessity to carry two pairs. (No, contacts don't work for me, I tend toward dry and eroded corneas, contacts aren't a good idea.)

blues2cruise wrote:So....where is the OP? Mr. Stark?
... I ran out of intelligent things to post about this week. :mrgreen: :laughing:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#17 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Mr Stark. I'm really glad you said that about the PC. I've been having an argument with my Health and Safety officer at work for months about eyesight and the computers. He keeps quoting some government stats which claim to prove that PCs don't affect eyesight - which is total crap in my opinion. I certainly have the same problem in the winter months riding home if I have been on the screen all day.

BTW on a linguistic issue: do I understand from your remarks that in the US a 'geezer' is specifically and old man, rather than a bloke of any age, as it is here?

Cheers
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#18 Unread post by jstark47 »

sv-wolf wrote:TW on a linguistic issue: do I understand from your remarks that in the US a 'geezer' is specifically and old man, rather than a bloke of any age, as it is here?
Yes, in American idiom "geezer" equals old man, especially an eccentric one. I wasn't aware there was another meaning in British usage. (English usage. English English? Oh, well..... :humm: )
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#19 Unread post by sv-wolf »

jstark47 wrote:
(English usage. English English? Oh, well..... :humm: )

Actually, London English in this instance (or at least the South-East). There aren't many geezers north of Watford.

Cheers
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#20 Unread post by blues2cruise »

sv-wolf wrote:
jstark47 wrote:
(English usage. English English? Oh, well..... :humm: )

Actually, London English in this instance (or at least the South-East). There aren't many geezers north of Watford.

Cheers
More likely doddering old fools. :P