Your Biggest Fear on the Road

Theweapon52
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Your Biggest Fear on the Road

#1 Unread post by Theweapon52 »

I went on a rider earlier this morning and i swear to god that taxi Drivers do not shoulder check AT ALL. I was pushed out of my lane 4 times in the span of 30 minutes, by the 4th one i had half a mind to boot the guys door. I've seen 16 year old girls be more aware of what is going on around them that are talking to somebody on the phone and putting on lipstick at the same time.

So I'm just wondering what you guys worry about each time you put on your gear and hit the road?

I never thought that i would be worried about people who spend half their time driving other people around. But after today I'm going to be far more cautious each time i see a cabbie around.

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#2 Unread post by Gunslinger »

What do I worry about? Other drivers.

Probably my biggest fear is the twitter girls making that infamous left turn in front of me. Second biggest is that bus or semi truck trying to change lanes without looking or maybe they do look but they don't care. Third fear is that my chain is going to come off and lock up the rear wheel at speed. I don't know why I worry about that one. I'm told it's pretty rare but I still think about it sometimes.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Magna

#3 Unread post by Magna »

I am always thinking about that THIN piece of rubber on my front tire, we are so vulnerable !!

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Theweapon52 wrote:I went on a rider earlier this morning and i swear to god that taxi Drivers do not shoulder check AT ALL. I was pushed out of my lane 4 times in the span of 30 minutes, by the 4th one i had half a mind to boot the guys door.
Hmm. Taxi Cabs = Transit Buses as far as I'm concerned. They're just smaller.

If you didn't expect it to happen, then it was your mistake. Especially after the first one. Letting it happen FOUR times in 30 minutes is just plain stupid. Taxis pull over. They pull out. They're always trying to get wherever they're trying to go, as quickly as possible and they'll snug into the smallest slot in trafffic to that end. "Looking" takes time, and what I"ve seen of most cabbies is that they expect YOU to beware of THEM (whether you're in a cage, driving a truck, or on a motorcycle). Its what they DO. One of the reasons they're often bright yellow, perhaps?

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

TroubledMind
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by TroubledMind »

deer and porcupines

Smilin' Jack
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2006 DL1000 Suzuki

#6 Unread post by Smilin' Jack »

My biggest fear is simply not being seen.......by on coming traffic. cars turning left. cars changing lanes.
Was even bumped from behind while stopped at a traffic light. No injuries.....but pushed me into cross traffic.

catnip
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by catnip »

Oddly, I'm not fearful of other drivers. Amazingly, I can usually predict what someone is going to do even before they do! My biggest fear is deer, and they are plentiful here in PA.
Roll me away..................

2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
2006 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Yamaha XT225
2001 Suzuki DR200SE

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#8 Unread post by MZ33 »

My biggest fear is that my attention will lapse at a critical moment.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#9 Unread post by MTexile »

What MZ33 said...
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")

Theweapon52
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Theweapon52 »

Lion_Lady wrote:
Theweapon52 wrote:I went on a rider earlier this morning and i swear to god that taxi Drivers do not shoulder check AT ALL. I was pushed out of my lane 4 times in the span of 30 minutes, by the 4th one i had half a mind to boot the guys door.
Hmm. Taxi Cabs = Transit Buses as far as I'm concerned. They're just smaller.

If you didn't expect it to happen, then it was your mistake. Especially after the first one. Letting it happen FOUR times in 30 minutes is just plain stupid. Taxis pull over. They pull out. They're always trying to get wherever they're trying to go, as quickly as possible and they'll snug into the smallest slot in trafffic to that end. "Looking" takes time, and what I"ve seen of most cabbies is that they expect YOU to beware of THEM (whether you're in a cage, driving a truck, or on a motorcycle). Its what they DO. One of the reasons they're often bright yellow, perhaps?

P

Before you assume what bad judgements i made on the road how about look at the positive. The whole reason i didn't end up crashing was because i had to "look" in the first place and swerve to get out of their way. Yeah ill agree that putting myself in the situation wasn't smart, but what i think that counts is that i had the ability to get myself out of the situation.

No motorcyclist notices every potentially dangerous situation when they first look at it. Like i said earlier what's more important is that you can put learned information and skills to use and ride out of any given situation safely.