Thoughts on this bike?

roncg41677
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Thoughts on this bike?

#1 Unread post by roncg41677 »

I'm selling my 01 GZ250 and moving up. I know this would be a big jump, but I've really been eyeballing this 1983 Honda cb1100f. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these, and what your thoughts are.

Also, my wife really wants a back rest for when she rides with me, but I haven't found one for this bike. Can you buy back rests for this kind of a bike?
[i]Matthew 6:33 - But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.[/i]
'93 Yamaha Seca II
'92 Yamaha Seca II (Fixing up)

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

When I started riding many moons ago, I started off on a Honda CM400 and then traded up to a Honda CB750 after about a year. The transition was interesting to say the least. The 400 was not as powerful as the 750 but a lot more nimble and easier to ride. Basically I really had to master riding all over again.

You are planning on transitioning from a 250 to a bike with over 4 times the displacement and possibly two to four times the power and weight. My advice is to take it very very easy, that CB is a great bike, but you will find that it cannot be thrown around like your current 250 and will require a lot more "muscling" when it comes to riding it.

As for the backrest, try looking for a bolt on rear cargo rack, many come with adjustable backrest. Had one on my CB and it worked wonders on long trips
Always ask why.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#3 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I transitioned from a Ninja 250 to a B-King 1340. My transition was not smooth, but no injuries were involved. I found out some interesting information about riding a bike during the transition.

Weight makes a difference in slow speed riding, but it isn't so much in handling as it is with perception.

I've become convinced of three things.

1) When I ride in the winter with the liner of my pants - it definitely changes the size of my legs. This caused my legs to be 'trapped' against the fake air intakes and when the bike felt like it was going down it took me a little extra time to get my leg out to stop the bike from falling down. Also, taking the liner out of my pants made it so I could flat foot the bike.

2) The comfort of my hands makes a difference in the confidence level I have on the bike. My sumer/spring/fall gloves are thin leather - of high quality and are very comfortable. My winter gloves I bought on close-out for $10 - they are thick, aren't formed for how a hand is shaped when you ride (not pre-curved). So, cheap winter riding gloves are something I don't recommend - especially when upgrading a bike.

I think the end-all of the above is your most comfortable riding attire is what you should be wearing when you start on a new bike.

3) When a heavy bike feels like it is falling - starts much sooner than when a lighter bike starts feeling like it is falling. I suspect a combination of the above three contributed to me dropping my bike when I upgraded. I'm pretty sure that if I had simply put my foot down when it felt like it was falling I could have stopped it from falling.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by paul246 »

Nice choice. These are excellent bikes, smooth, powerful and dependable.

Remind yourself at slow speeds ( parking lot speeds ) not to touch the front brake unless the front wheel is nearly straight ahead. If you have the wheel cocked over too far and grab that brake the weight transfer will likely pull you down on the side the wheel is pointing toward.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#5 Unread post by XB08 »

CB 1100f Good bike buy it. If it is at a good price you made out. the cost are going up on them.

roncg41677
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by roncg41677 »

I JUST missed out on it, the price had gone down to $1,000 :(. The seller told me when I asked it had just left the driveway.
[i]Matthew 6:33 - But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.[/i]
'93 Yamaha Seca II
'92 Yamaha Seca II (Fixing up)