Sportster 1200C vs. Honda VTX 1300

Wordherder
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Harley 2009 Superglide

Sportster 1200C vs. Honda VTX 1300

#1 Unread post by Wordherder »

Folks, I'm hoping I can get some relatively unbiased opinions here. I've narrowed my search down to the HD Sportster 1200 Custom and the Honda VTX 1300. The price points are pretty much identical. I'm a more comfy on the HD, but the Honda promises a smoother ride and (by reputation) better reliability.

My current ride is a Suzuki S50 (nee Intruder VS800).

Can I get some insight from S1200 and VTX1300 riders?

Thanks all!
Harley Superglide Custom
Born to be ... Courteously deferential. If that 's OK with you.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

They're kinda different bikes!
Sporty is kind of a hot-rod cruiser, narrower, better cornering clearances, more of a standard seating position.
VTX is more of an traditional cruiser seating position, wider, more of a cruising cruiser than a hot-rod.

If you're more comfy on the HD I'd say go for it. Which year sporty? If it's a Twin-Cam it's almost guaranteed to be as reliable as the VTX.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Big B »

yeah, it is all going to come down to which one you feel more comfortable on. i've got a vtx (albeit the 1800 - bigger motor - fuel injection - but the same basic layout otherwise - same frame) for the at least immediate future and have had absolutely no issues with it, it's very comfortable for long rides, the 1300 should be the same. one of my riding buddies has a 1200 sporty and loves his, i've ridden it a couple times and it's a great bike as well. you can't go wrong with either one, just depends on what kind of riding you want to do. i personally would never think i was going to sell my vtx (and if i don't get what i want out of it, then i'll still have it) so i can't imagine you'll have any problems with one - as long as it fits you.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#4 Unread post by MTexile »

Have a '03 1200 Custom. I love it except for the vibration above 65 mph, I'm assuming you're choosing between new bikes. H-D rubber-mounted their XL's in '04. No problems with mine yet (17,000 miles), either way you go, I think you've done good.
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")

Wordherder
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Harley 2009 Superglide

#5 Unread post by Wordherder »

Thanks all! Appreciate the insight. I'm looking at new bikes here.

I've been leaning toward the Sporty, yes, mainly because when I threw a leg over it, there was almost an audible "click" as I snapped into place. It felt like home.

HD also has a 2-year warranty, vs the VTX's one, for what that's worth, and the local HD stealer has a fairly good reputation for service, from what I can tell. (Feel free to disabuse me of that opinion: it's Heritage H-D in Lisle, IL.)

I like the look of the VTX; it's a serious head-turner. And I'm willing to bet it beats the 1200 hands-down in the horsepower department as well.

But the missus and I are mainly back-road sightseeing types, puttering along at 62 mph on the blue roads and enjoying the scenery. I think the VTX's zip would be wasted on me. (She's got her own bike. Don't need the extra HP for a pillion rider!)
Harley Superglide Custom
Born to be ... Courteously deferential. If that 's OK with you.

xdixiecratx
Veteran
Veteran

choice

#6 Unread post by xdixiecratx »

Sounds like you ve talked yourself into the Harley, Both are good bikes till you crack the throttle, and or have run a 100 000 miles and spent asmuch money on one of them as you gave for it. If your not planning on long distance trips at freeway speeds all day go with the Harlet, not that it cant,but dont take my word for it or anybodyelses take em both out on the freeway at 80 mph and see for yourself

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#7 Unread post by jmillheiser »

If your more comfy on the harley than you will probably be happier with it.

Between those 2 actually the HD is probably a tad quicker. VTX1300s aren't speed demons. The VTX is a bigger bike than the harley and will probably be smoother on the highway. Both have tons of aftermarket accessories available

Of the 2 I have ridden a sporty 12 myself, I found the engine to be very torquey and responsive.

xdixiecratx
Veteran
Veteran

80 mph I said

#8 Unread post by xdixiecratx »

I ride a wide glide and would take both of em for mine.

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#9 Unread post by XB08 »

Sportster is light next to the VTX , The sportster sounds better then the VTX. The VTX will last for ever. The VTX is a better highway bike. If you are tall you won't like the sportster for long. The VTX is very heavy if you need to push it. But it all comes do to what one you like, ride them and find out.

xdixiecratx
Veteran
Veteran

which

#10 Unread post by xdixiecratx »

Ill say it like this,If your goin to ride around town get the Harley, If you like to travel on the interstate get the Honda.