Honda Flooding

crazy8racer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Honda Flooding

#1 Unread post by crazy8racer »

Newb here, I have recently bought a 1998 Honda Shadow ACE. I had a slight issue whre the engine would back fire a little at about 2500 rpms so I had the carbs cleaned.

Well that is were the problems started. After the Carbs have been cleaned I was able to run it for about 1.5 hours. I parked it for a day went to start it the next day it is flooding. Well had the carbs rebuilt again because It was insisted that it was dirt in the carbs yet. OK rebuilt them ran it for about 2 hours parked it for 3 hours went back to start it and it had a flooding problem again.

Well I figured no way I am going to pay a yahoo to rebuild the carbs again and mess it up (I can do that right) well I did the and to the same results. Run it for a couple of hours park it and it floods not able to get it to start just keeps puking fuel out the overflow hose.

I have the carbs off again because I was thinking stuck floats. took the bowls off and the floats are moving fine.

I have heard and read here that it could possibly be a diaphram issue. Does any one have a picture of where it is located at and I have read that you can press on it and you should here some air being sucked back in if it is in good shape.

Side note the carbs just had the bowls and jets cleaned on them nothing else not sure if it is important or not.

If any other suggestions it will be helpfull Filters yes I said filters i added another just to be sure nothing is getting into the carbs 12 micron going into carbs they are brand new.

Please help, I want to ride for more than a couple of hours

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

While the floats may be moving freely, have you checked your float height? Could be something as simple as that!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

crazy8racer
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by crazy8racer »

Is there a good way to check the float height is correct?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah you've gotta pull the carbs off again, take off the float bowl. Then tip the carbs at about 45 degrees until they stop swinging freely and settle gently. Then measure from the very bottom (what looks like the top now) of the floats to the gasket surface on the bowl.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha