New 2010 Honda Fury

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

#21 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

HYPERR wrote:
Ryethil wrote:I heard something very similar having to do with motorcycles by my dad and his friends. Harleys and Brit bikes had a intergal connection between the rider and his motorcycle. Then the Japanese came in and had the material concept of what a motorcycle should do but couldn't understand the soulfull connection between the rider and his bike. So my father said it had all the soul of a Waring blender. Hence, appliance...
You see, I don't buy that cr@p about certain brand of bike has this or certain genre of bikes has that, bullsh!t. Different bikes move different souls. There are people that are just as much as obsessed with their Kawasaki Triples as they are with their Toaster Airheads, Pan Dressers, CBX Sixes,Tridents, Water Buffalos, Kingpins, or V Maxs.
Arguably the most fun bike I have ever owned is my Honda CBR600RR. It never fails to bring a smile to my face and always remind me why I ride. I would assume you would file the CBR under your "appliance" category because it is not the type of bike you like and it is virtually flawless in every way.
One cannot explain to someone else why certain bikes or cars bring a smile to their face and other's don't. The bike that turns you on or your father's may not be the bike that turns on your next door neighbor. That's what makes the world go around. Just because it doesn't turn you on or your father or you father's friends, doesn't not mean that it doesn't for someone else.
Absolutely. I really adored my old FZR - I wish I could have it back. Especially with all I put into it - it became part of me. I would choose my FZR over, say, Hyperr's CBR. Or someone else's GSXR. Or someone else's Daytona. The nationality of a bike means nothing - they are all machines. But they all touch us in a way that is unique with each one. That doesn't make every other bike an "appliance". It just makes it a machine incompatible with your soul.
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#22 Unread post by Ryethil »

PacificShot327 wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
Ryethil wrote:I heard something very similar having to do with motorcycles by my dad and his friends. Harleys and Brit bikes had a intergal connection between the rider and his motorcycle. Then the Japanese came in and had the material concept of what a motorcycle should do but couldn't understand the soulfull connection between the rider and his bike. So my father said it had all the soul of a Waring blender. Hence, appliance...
You see, I don't buy that cr@p about certain brand of bike has this or certain genre of bikes has that, bullsh!t. Different bikes move different souls. There are people that are just as much as obsessed with their Kawasaki Triples as they are with their Toaster Airheads, Pan Dressers, CBX Sixes,Tridents, Water Buffalos, Kingpins, or V Maxs.
Arguably the most fun bike I have ever owned is my Honda CBR600RR. It never fails to bring a smile to my face and always remind me why I ride. I would assume you would file the CBR under your "appliance" category because it is not the type of bike you like and it is virtually flawless in every way.
One cannot explain to someone else why certain bikes or cars bring a smile to their face and other's don't. The bike that turns you on or your father's may not be the bike that turns on your next door neighbor. That's what makes the world go around. Just because it doesn't turn you on or your father or you father's friends, doesn't not mean that it doesn't for someone else.
Absolutely. I really adored my old FZR - I wish I could have it back. Especially with all I put into it - it became part of me. I would choose my FZR over, say, Hyperr's CBR. Or someone else's GSXR. Or someone else's Daytona. The nationality of a bike means nothing - they are all machines. But they all touch us in a way that is unique with each one. That doesn't make every other bike an "appliance". It just makes it a machine incompatible with your soul.
Okay, once again I tried to say soemthing that didn't translate very well...

For starters, I never implied the bikes that anyone favored were somehow trash in my eyes. My father is almost 60 and he still remembers the Yamaha 350 2 stroke that took him back and forth to school. He still swears that he would like another one to rebuild. My first bike that I rode regularly was a little Yamaha dirt bike and I must have been all of about 8. But I could wheelie it so much better than my brothers could on their bigger bikes. Good memories...

But when any company, not just rice bikes or any motorcycle company builds something that has had all it's specialness taken out of it just to make a profit from the masses then I feel betrayed. This is how I feel about the Fury. It looks so right. I don't care if it's a Honda or a Harley, it just looks like the real thing. The trouble it doesn't feel that way and the quality control really s*cks. It's really a cr*ppy motorcycle. But just on looks, I thought about getting one. I''m so glad that there was forums and Bike articals that said what it really was. I've said it before I think the VTX1300/1800 series is far more a real cruiser then the Fury is. But the Fury looks like it should be the real thing. So in reality Honda screwed up and I hope it doesn't keep other possibly similar bikes from coming out, produce by different companies. But even though I feel this way, there will be so many people who will get it and defend it to the death as one of the greatest motorcycles produce.

The 600 class of bikes is probably one of the most exciting series that has hit motorcycling. But sometimes I felt betrayed by the bean counters for the bikes had cost cutting measures that I thought hurt performance. But they had a lot of smiles per mile. There are so many bikes out there. I have a Buell S3 and I have never traded it for something else because of its smiles per mile.

However, there are so many bikes out their that just don't live up to thier promises. They look right but when you ride them they don't have any of the inputs that make them come alive.

I love my Sportster C. It's bored, stroked and really breathed on. It will hold a V Rod in its wake but most other people would rather have a XTV 1300 and good for them. And all the faults that everyone finds in my bike is what it makes it so special to me.

And in the end all of this subjective. I love my ST and even though I have other Harleys in the garage, I want to ride it everyware but I've already taken CR*P for riding a UJM. I worked for a multi-brand dealer as a mechanic and there were things the Japanese did that Harley should of learned from. Well, maybe HD did. Harlkeys are reliable as hammers now.

In the end I don't know how to say something that people don't instantly translate in to a jusdgement about their bike. I don't care what people say about my Shovelhead or my ST. I love them warts and all.

I guess that is what I'm trying to say. My ST is partly an appliance. It doesn't have the soul of a Harley but it doesn't need to because they translated what the bike was all about just fine. And it grows on me everyday. And I wouldn't rush out and get a HD version of it just because it's a Harley. In fact I don't think Harley has the understanding to build such a bike. However, Triumph is another story...

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#23 Unread post by HYPERR »

Ryethil wrote:
And in the end all of this subjective. I love my ST and even though I have other Harleys in the garage, I want to ride it everyware but I've already taken CR*P for riding a UJM.
Anybody that gives u any cr@p about a bike you ride based on the country of origin is not a true motorcyclist; and absolutely nothing you say will convince me otherwise.

Rice, Pasta, Kraut, Wheat, I love them all! :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#24 Unread post by Ryethil »

HYPERR wrote:
Ryethil wrote:
And in the end all of this subjective. I love my ST and even though I have other Harleys in the garage, I want to ride it everyware but I've already taken CR*P for riding a UJM.
Anybody that gives u any cr@p about a bike you ride based on the country of origin is not a true motorcyclist; and absolutely nothing you say will convince me otherwise.

Rice, Pasta, Kraut, Wheat, I love them all! :mrgreen:
This is turning out to be hysterical. Little old ladies come up and talk to me because I have such a "nice" motocycle. It kind of makes me want to tug on my blouse sleeves to hide the tattoos. On the other hand, A friend has a brand new Fury but he's so clean cut and a real straight arrow type he can't understand why people treat him badly because he's "biker".

Yea, it should be a free world out there but then there are so many that make it their job one to tell you to be more like them. It's just sad.

As for my friends, it's mostly semi-serious trash talk. Hell, anything I ride is suspect because I'm a gurl. Yes, a girl. That thing that rides on the back of your bike that you call her your b*tch. :laughing:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#25 Unread post by Amdonim »

No offense, but it's probably because of blanket statements like this:
Then the Japanese came in...

Just my two cents.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by Ryethil »

Amdonim wrote:

Just my two cents.
Just my nickle...

Try quoting more than the little bit that proves what ever point YOU want to make irregardless of what I actually wrote!! It happens to me all the time on these forums and from now on, I'm no longer going to be bothered by people with agendas. I have and ride bikes of every stripe. I prefer Harleys but I now own a Honda ST1300A and I'm in love with it. However, I still build and ride Harleys and love them just as much.

BTW, I'm also a certified mechanic for Hondas and Suzukis. So I understand a bit about motorcycles and how they affect people. I also understand when the bean counters and marketing people take a great idea and water it down to sell as many of them as they can to people that don't understand what made the motorcycles special in the first place.

Squids and 600cc sportbikes come to mind. Not experienced riders that enjoy the pure pleasure of cutting through a series of corners just right. But kids or young adults that were sold a motorcycle just because it was cool. And then all of motorcycledom suffers because of their stupidity.

Even there, the companies could of made them closer to the real racers but chose to water them down, to detune them and put cheaper parts on them to make them more pallitable to people with no idea what it means to ace a series of difficult corners. When I was in Europe, the 600 and liter bikes weren't detuned and you had to know how to actually ride to get the most you could out of the bikes there.

However, if a company comes in and builds a bike that is a "poser" then I find it aggravating. I don't care who did it or what country it came from and I say so but this never comes out in what is quoted from my posts.

As for your little snippets that you quoted that showed nothing of my thoughts, I call that less than genuine. I was not alive when the original Honda CB750 came to America and I stated so. I meerly passed along a statement that my father and his friends have told me. And how their statements reinforced my understanding of a term that I learned as a teenager. Appliance means "ANYTHING" that is special to a group of people and then taken away and produced to make money by other people that have no idea of it's specialness.

Right now that is best personified by the Honda Fury. It's a poser that is also a cr*ppy motorcycle. I just hope that it doesn't cause other companies to not attempt similar projects.

I'm sorry I dumped on you for that is not my style. I hope not anyway.

But it's B*llSh*t to bring up a long gone thread and say that I should have known better. Yes, I knew better. But like I said in that particular post, I thought I was being brought to task for something I never implied.

But will any of that be quoted, I don't think so because others want to read what they want and throw out what they don't want to deal with. Which is pretty much what you did with your quoting of two not even full lines in two differnet quotes and implied that I was the stupid one.

Well, back at you!!!!

And on top of this, I'm able to do all of this as a woman. I've fought cr*p from men that thought I should of been more feminine, more traditional. However, I just passed my state certification boards for my RN and nearly aced them. I did this working as a paramedic and a part time mechanic. I was always in the top 5% of my class and got great perfomence reviews and was always in demand for my wrenching skills.

Now I'm going to be a team leader in the city's only true Trauma Center. So don't give me cr*p about that I can't understand because I'm a woman or that I can't do it because I'm a girl. I'm not a chick or someone's B*tch. I'm me and I just want to be treated in the same way that people treat each other here.

Actually, I really sorry about dumping on with the rest of the last paragraph. It just felt too good to stop. I really am a sh*t for doing it. Forgive me for that last part if you can. :oops:

:rockon:
Alex

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#27 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

Ryethil wrote:
Amdonim wrote:

Just my two cents.
Just my nickle...

Try quoting more than the little bit that proves what ever point YOU want to make irregardless of what I actually wrote!! It happens to me all the time on these forums and from now on, I'm no longer going to be bothered by people with agendas.

---Big o' snippet---

But it's B*llSh*t to bring up a long gone thread and say that I should have known better. Yes, I knew better. But like I said in that particular post, I thought I was being brought to task for something I never implied.

But will any of that be quoted, I don't think so because others want to read what they want and throw out what they don't want to deal with. Which is pretty much what you did with your quoting of two not even full lines in two differnet quotes and implied that I was the stupid one.

Well, back at you!!!!

And on top of this, I'm able to do all of this as a woman. I've fought cr*p from men that thought I should of been more feminine, more traditional. However, I just passed my state certification boards for my RN and nearly aced them. I did this working as a paramedic and a part time mechanic. I was always in the top 5% of my class and got great perfomence reviews and was always in demand for my wrenching skills.

Now I'm going to be a team leader in the city's only true Trauma Center. So don't give me cr*p about that I can't understand because I'm a woman or that I can't do it because I'm a girl. I'm not a chick or someone's B*tch. I'm me and I just want to be treated in the same way that people treat each other here.

STOP right there.

Ok - 1st - I really don't believe his "agenda" was to imply that you are stupid in anyway. I took it as him pointing out that the way you worded it was the reason for so many misunderstandings, and I agree. That's a problem with communicating over text, as inflection and intention with words cannot be translated over the Internet.

2nd - You will NEVER be treated as an equal if you continuously bring up the fact that you are a woman. Big deal?! I'm a female, too, with an unfortunately-ended short stint at USNA, 4 years in ROTC, currently working to get in with one of the local police departments, AND a senior at a Japanese Dojo in the area. It's not unheard of for females to do the things you and I have done, so why do you continue to measure your successes against gender statistics that are a little out-dated? Yes, you are going to be a TL at the Trauma Center. That's awesome. Congratulations, seriously. But no one here is attacking you because of your gender. Stop reading between the lines. I've always been told by my chief ROTC instructor that assuming only does one thing. It makes an a$$ out of YOU and ME. And that's what you're doing right now. By constantly bringing your gender into question, you are reducing your own credibility. Females are humans, too, capable of just about as much as males are. Your posts have the underlying tone and belief that all males think all females are incapable.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Have a nice day. 8)
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#28 Unread post by Amdonim »

I apologize if I seemed reactionary. I just get the feeling that you believe the Big Four can't make anything with a v-twin correctly, just because they're not cheating off Milwaulkee's paper. Anyway, I'm not trying to create any animosity or anything, I'm just a brand mean for Honda (motorcycles or otherwise, have you seen their private jet?) and maybe I put them on a pedestal too much. Apologies.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#29 Unread post by Ryethil »

PacificShot327 wrote: STOP right there.

Ok - 1st - I really don't believe his "agenda" was to imply that you are stupid in anyway. I took it as him pointing out that the way you worded it was the reason for so many misunderstandings, and I agree. That's a problem with communicating over text, as inflection and intention with words cannot be translated over the Internet.

2nd - You will NEVER be treated as an equal if you continuously bring up the fact that you are a woman. Big deal?! I'm a female, too, with an unfortunately-ended short stint at USNA, 4 years in ROTC, currently working to get in with one of the local police departments, AND a senior at a Japanese Dojo in the area. It's not unheard of for females to do the things you and I have done, so why do you continue to measure your successes against gender statistics that are a little out-dated? Yes, you are going to be a TL at the Trauma Center. That's awesome. Congratulations, seriously. But no one here is attacking you because of your gender. Stop reading between the lines. I've always been told by my chief ROTC instructor that assuming only does one thing. It makes an a$$ out of YOU and ME. And that's what you're doing right now. By constantly bringing your gender into question, you are reducing your own credibility. Females are humans, too, capable of just about as much as males are. Your posts have the underlying tone and belief that all males think all females are incapable.

Have a nice day. 8)
I agree with everything. :oops:
Alex

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#30 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

Ryethil wrote:
PacificShot327 wrote: STOP right there.

Have a nice day. 8)
I agree with everything. :oops:
Alright, then. Now we can all be one big happy family again and talk bikes. :wink: