getting a bike running

mrdj115
Rookie
Rookie

getting a bike running

#1 Unread post by mrdj115 »

I posted about this before the boards got erased. Unfortunately, I didn't write any of the info down. :frusty:

I dug out this little motorcycle that my cousin had stored away. I've never ridden at all and I figured this might be a good way to at least get the basics down. The motorcycle is called a Trac DH100 Superhawk (obviously some generic brand). I believe it's a 1986. It's been sitting for almost ten years but it ran fine when it was put away.

I don't know much about it. I know it has one carb. What are the basic steps to take to get it running? Thanks a lot.

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

:blink: :ermm:

I don't know anything about this particular bike, but it might help if you could post a pic so we'll know what we're dealing with. The more we know the better we can advise you.
Do you happen to know if it's a two-stroke or four-stroke motor, for example? Have you tried turning the motor over yet? Is there oil in the crankcase? How about the fuel tank... does it have old gas in it? I guess that's enough questions for now. The answers to these will determine what's next.

There's quite a lot to do, I'm sure, to get it rideable but we'll help you along the best we can.
:thumbsup:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

This is the only link I could find on it.

http://www.calvmx.com/dcforum/conf1/10.html#1
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

mrdj115
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by mrdj115 »

I have a pic on my computer. How could I post that?

The only thing I know about the motor is it's very small. :( There is some old oil still left in it. No gas. It almost sounds like it would start if there were gas in it.

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by poppygene »

Thanks, Scott, for the link! :thumbsup: Aha! A SOHC single, like Honda's Super 90 of the Sixties!

Mrdj, you can post pics directly into our Motorcycle Photo Gallery, All Other Makes section.
First of all, do your very best to find a service manual for it. Searching online is probably your best chance.
Tell us what you've done with the bike so far. Here's a good place to start. As good as any...
With any luck your cousin drained the carburetor and fuel tank when the bike was stored. If not, you'll need to first clean the entire fuel system. You may be able to tell by opening the carb drain screw and draining the contents, if any, into a clear container. Do the same with the fuel tank. Let us know what you find.

mrdj115
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by mrdj115 »

album_showpage.php?pic_id=2507

There you go. I put it in the gallery you said. I still think it belongs in the Stunt and trick riding gallery. :laughing:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by TechTMW »

Sweet little bike!

It looks taken care of. Might want to just change oil, Gas, and plugs and give it a go ...
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by poppygene »

Nice!!! That's a sweet lookin' bike! Let us know how things progress!

mrdj115
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by mrdj115 »

Oops. My fault. That's not the actual bike I have. That's a picture of the same kind of bike. The bike I have is in the same condition, though. The only difference is mine's red. :)

mrdj115
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by mrdj115 »

poppygene wrote:
Tell us what you've done with the bike so far. Here's a good place to start. As good as any...
With any luck your cousin drained the carburetor and fuel tank when the bike was stored. If not, you'll need to first clean the entire fuel system. You may be able to tell by opening the carb drain screw and draining the contents, if any, into a clear container. Do the same with the fuel tank. Let us know what you find.
poppygene -

I finally got a chance to look at the bike again. My cousin can't remember if he drained the tank and the carb. Nothing came out of either one, though. So he could have possibly drained it. Or could it have evaporated?

What do I do now? I'm guessing I have to figure out if the fuel system is clean.