Advice: Don't ever want to move down in CC (Engine Size)?

Never Move Down in CC?

No it's not true, you can move down in CC
89%
It's true, don't ever move down in CC you will regret it
5%
Other (Please Elaborate Below)
7%

Total votes: 44

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Advice: Don't ever want to move down in CC (Engine Size)?

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

Let me preface this by the fact that I am not looking for advice about getting aftermarket parts for my Shiver. I haven't ruled out that possibility or weighed cost factors etc. etc. I just want to discuss the art of buying a second bike.

The bike I own currently is a lot of fun but it's difficult for trips longer than an hour and it's not really easy for me to get anyone on it two up due to the height. The lack of aftermarket parts does not help this scenario either.

So I said to myself, what if one day I got another motorcycle. One with bags and a nice comfy seat lower to the ground so my (short) wife can get on easier. Lower to the ground so I can flat foot it!

When I went to the dealer the first thing I thought about was probably getting the Monster 696 that I had already wanted. The controls are much easier for me to reach, I can flat foot the bike, and there is always tons of aftermarket stuff for Ducati's.

But the Manager of the place I was talking with said something interesting to me "Don't ever go down in CC, you won't like it". He suggested I check out the new monster (1200cc) which, when it comes out, will basically have everything I want already on it. Instead of paying to have all the upgrades on the 696 (Adjustable suspension, more comfy seat, etc) and then feeling lackluster with the performance.

This logic at first made sense to me. Getting a lower powered bike would probably feel less powerful and maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much. But lately I started thinking about it more.

I never really wanted to get into the 1k range bikes. I feel 750cc is enough for me. Therefore lets say I do buy a second bike, and it's 1200cc then won't I enjoy my current bike (750cc) even less?

Then it would lead to me riding the bike I wanted to use more less, and riding the bike I wanted to take less more?

So now I feel like if I am going to get a more comfortable bike, if it has less power it really won't bother me. Because I want to have my main bike be faster and more fun, I just want a second bike to be more comfortable.

I haven't even begun to look at all the different bikes that are out there available for touring or whatever so please do not focus too much on the fact that I was considering the Monsters. I am completely open to all suggestions for make and model. This isn't something that I currently have the funds for but I am starting to look into it because I would like to do it especially because I want to bring my wife with me.

Does this make any sense? Has anyone else who have bought or thought about buying a second bike gone through this logic? What was your choice?

Thanks all :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

I have a 1540cc bike and a 750cc sidecar rig...they're both an absolute blast to ride. I couldn't find one bike that does everything I want, but between these two I have it covered.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

matthew5656
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda VTR

#3 Unread post by matthew5656 »

I would normally assume choosing a bike with lower displacement is not at all a bad decision to make, but of course you must consider the kind of riding you plan to implement with it. Lower displacement bikes tend to be lighter, better handlers, efficient commuters. But if I were interested in longer, touring rides with a pillion, I would consider spending some extra money for a little more bike. 1000+cc bikes tend to be heavier, more comfortable for passengers, and much much faster with far less strain put on the motor when traveling at super slab speeds. I don't think it's impractical to convert your 750/600/250 into a touring machine, but a bigger bike would seem more practical to me if I intended to ride longer distances.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Different strokes is all it is. My current bike is 650ccs and I really love it. It's a good "all purpose" size. But I'm tempted to get something even lighter, nimbler and more tossable, and a 250 or 400cc supermoto would be lots of fun. If I wanted to commute and filter through traffic, one of the 50-150cc motorcycles available here in Asia would be superbly practical. If I wanted to comfortably tour with luggage and a pillion, then bigger it is.

Granted, starting small before you gradually get a bigger bike is a safe way to go, but it doesn't mean a person's next bike should always be bigger. More importantly, what kind of riding does the rider want to get into or do more of? There's always a right tool for the job, and depending on that job, smaller and more nimble might be more fun.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Skier

#5 Unread post by Skier »

Sounds like someone wants to make more money off you.

I've been looking long and hard at the new 250 dual sports Kawasaki and Yamaha have out. Low CCs doesn't mean low fun factor.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

My wife's main bike is a 1200cc I4 that makes redundant amounts of horsepower. There's no place around you can really wring that bike out legally, and the only time you even touch the bike's potential is merging onto freeways.

Her other bike is a 650cc single. It makes less than half the horsepower - it also weighs 200lbs less. It's a complete blast to ride :twisted: ...the only thing you don't want to do is try to tour on it.

Riding a small bike to the max is tons of fun. And "slow" is only relative, you're still faster than most cars.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

I think Skier nailed it about the salesman.

Bigger is not always better. Cliche phrase, I know, but its true. A lot of satisfaction will come with the type of riding you'll do in a given situation. I think its in those specific areas you'll develop your preferences. The differences bike to bike change the riding experience.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

CC doesn't mean anything. My CBR600RR will spank my R1150R & HM1100 beyond belief.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

^^^^

I'm with this guy, my 600cc ZX6 spanks the heck out of my GL1800 at only 1/3 the displacement. There's also nothing like throwing my ninja 250 or cb360 street tracker project through the twisties.

That said you do need to find the right bike for your purposes. The 360 had the frame cut for the tail preventing passengers. It was a sacrifice I gladly made b/c the 74 cb360 sucks to ride around here with a passenger. The Goldwing pretty much only gets ridden if I have a passenger, gear and serious distance to eat up. Otherwise I'd much rather ride the sportbike, sidecar rig or V-strom

As for short people getting on your bike, my g/f is 5'4'' and can get on the Vstrom. She has to mount it like a horse, it has to be smooth and you need to be braced for it, but it works like a charm!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

Thanks everyone for the input! I will consider all CC ranges now when i start looking at new bikes. I'm sure I'll come back for advice about tourers when I have the funds :)

If anyone has anything else to add please feel free to continue I'm sure this knowledge is valuable for everyone!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)