flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

bike total miles before brake or tire replacement

#1 Unread post by flw »

I understand the following will vary on driving style and weather.... And does not apply to those that race or beat their street bikes for what ever reason.

How many miles did you have on your street bike before you replaced front or rear brakes and front or rear tires?

Thanks,

Dan
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by Skier »

If I stopped picking up gorram nails in my rear tire on the Hornet I'd get somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 miles out of a rear tire. About 1.5 times that for the front.

At just shy of 30,000 miles I still see a good chunk of wear indicator on the pads, front and back, so they are probably good for another 5,000 to 10,000 miles.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#3 Unread post by Gadjet »

changed my first rear tire at 6000km, the front at 16000km. I run a dual sport so my tire life varies by style. Lowest I got was 2000km out of a Maxxis 6006, longest was 12000km out of a Kenda 760 (these are on the rear) Longest I've run a front tire was 23000km out of a trailwing 41.

As for brakes, I think I changed my pads at 30000km.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

The least I ever got was on a rear tyre 1100 miles and had cords showing (DUNSTOP) Most I ever got was from a Goodyear Speedgrip about 20K. (both rear tyres on same bike)

Also most modern tyres are built very cheap (synthetic vs real rubber) and will develop dry rot in 5-6 years. I have some older tyres laying around from the 60s and 70s that never dry rotted like the modern crap.

As to brakes on my 72 and 73 FLHs
front pads last about 4K

on my 73 rear pads last about 3K

On my 72 rear linings (drum) last over 70K (the 72 with rear drum has far better stopping power, takes less foot pressure to activate and do not lose when wet) Harley replaced drums with discs on BTs totally in 73 but failed to have a disc preform as well as a drum until the 80s

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

slimcolo wrote: Also most modern tyres are built very cheap (synthetic vs real rubber) and will develop dry rot in 5-6 years. I have some older tyres laying around from the 60s and 70s that never dry rotted like the modern "crumb".
Well, I started Riding in 1972, and the tires were NOT as good as now. Synthetic rubber is much better than natural. The old rubber did check and harden. The old tires had far less traction. They lasted, but they were not as good as any today.
slimcolo wrote: As to brakes on my 72 and 73 FLHs
front pads last about 4K

on my 73 rear pads last about 3K

On my 72 rear linings (drum) last over 70K (the 72 with rear drum has far better stopping power, takes less foot pressure to activate and do not lose when wet) Harley replaced drums with discs on BTs totally in 73 but failed to have a disc preform as well as a drum until the 80s
I have the original brakes on my 1991 NH750. 24K miles. I am the second owner, but the OEM stuff sure lasted.

Sounds like the FLH brakes were undersized for the bike. Ypu are right though, early disk brakes are not as good as nowadays.
slimcolo wrote:The least I ever got was on a rear tyre 1100 miles and had cords showing (DUNSTOP) Most I ever got was from a Goodyear Speedgrip about 20K. (both rear tyres on same bike)
The brand of tire isn't usually the reason you get a lot of miles out of a tire, it often is the model. For instance, a tire designed for trackdays has a very soft compound and wears out quickly, while touring designed tires tend to have a harder, longer lasting compound, The trade off is traction.

I bet the Goodyear was a much harder compound than the Dunlop. I just put Dunlop's K505 (OEM model) on my NH, hopefully I am going to get more then the 7k miles I got out of the Bridgestone BT045's. (Both front and rear were worn out). Some have reported over 20K miles on them.

The brand and model tire are sometimes limited when you have an unusual or uncommon size. The NH750 has an uncommon size, so the choices are limited in the original sizes. I may have to try a slightly over or undersized tire if I want a greater choice.

My points were not to pick on you Slim, just some more points for the OP.
Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#6 Unread post by JC Viper »

I had to replace the front brake pads at around 8 - 15,000 miles or so. I am pretty hard on the front brakes and use them more than the rear. After switching to a sintered compound I find the brakes last longer and have more feel in the rain. The drum brakes are the originals that came with the bike and I still have many more adjustments to go.

As for tires I had my OEM Bridgestone get slick on me after 8,000 miles. When I moved up to the Dunlop D404 I managed to get 12,000+ but it started to get slippery when wet at that point. Now with my Dunlop F11 and K625 Qualifiers I'm getting 15,000+ miles out of them but I am starting to see the wear bars lining up with the tread.

I'll probably try out the Continental Milestone because of the activated silica compound and long lasting tread (or so they claim). If the price is right maybe I'll try the new Pirelli Night Dragon which claim to be sportbike tires for cruisers while maintaining touring class mileage.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#7 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

8200 miles out of a set of BT-020's on a Ninja 650R. Both wore down fairly evenly, though I would have replaced both regardless.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

xdixiecratx
Veteran
Veteran

cost

#8 Unread post by xdixiecratx »

whats the average cost to have front brakes put on at the dealer?

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by slimcolo »

mydlyfkryzis those tyres were not as good but I believe that the reason has nothing to do with synthetic rubber. Tyre companies made the switch for economic reasons. (I also wonder if the lower life in modern tyres isn't planned, much like trash bags will fall apart if used for storage in the sun) Also many newer tyres have weaker sidewalls and may buckle under while cornering. (ESP on sidecar/trike application)

Yeah most did harden and crack (ESP older Dunlops, Firestones and Arcos) The Goodyears hardened but not as fast.

However I took one off this year that was over 30 years old and was in perfect condition (soft and subtle with NO dry rot) except for being rim cut from sitting years with a flat. I also changed one (Dunlop) that was only about 7 years old and had hardened so much that I needed to use longer car type irons just to get enough leverage to dismount.(I remember my Dad having to cut a tyre <also a Dunlop> off because it had hardened so much as to be impossible to dismount)

The Early HD brakes were big enough, the calipers were just garbage. (Honda, Yamaha, everyone even Triumph had better brakes. And HD put good front calipers on FXs and Sportys, just not the FLs.

The Dunlop that I only got 1100 out of was a "light touring" tyre not a track compound. The time I put on a track tyre (Avon) it lasted 1400. Forgot to mention that the longest lasting front tyre was a ME88 Perfect that out lasted it's mate plus an Avon and a Hy Max on the rear. (changed about 3k after second Avon on rear) Don't know actual mileage because it was already on bike when I bought but well over 25K)

I installed a Chen Shin on the front of my 61 this year because it was the only tyre in my size that wasn't on back order. (and it took 2 weeks to find) I wanted a Connie or Avon. This tyre has a very weak sidewall (If I jerk handlebars sitting you can see flex in sidewall a lot)

Over the years I have seen more problems with Dunlops than any other brand, but they are still the best seller.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xdixiecratx The cost will be the price of the parts + one hour shop time. (It should take less than an hour but most shops charge a minimum of one hour. This however this is usually a simple operation and with a manual and very few tools can be done yourself.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I replaced both tires at about 29,000 km. I have not had to replace any brakes yet.