Why won't reviews list mpg?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#11 Unread post by JC Viper »

Many bike magazines list their fuel mileage in their in depth reviews of bikes. The British bike mags are really good at listing fuel mileage especially on different types of roads.

Also reviewers tend to ride the bike much harder than most people.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

ofblong wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:Fuel economy is also important to me....as is insurance cost.

The magazine just wants to sell magazines...so often it's all about the glamour.....

You can probably find the info you need on the net....in fact...click on the link in the post above.
looking at the fuel guide my bike isnt listed yet I gave my info on that thread.

wonder if its because I was the only one with that type of bike????

Either way I have a honda shadow deluxe vlx 1996 and get 55mpg continuously on city/county roads and I drive 60mph.
That is decent mileage.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#13 Unread post by ofblong »

blues2cruise wrote:
ofblong wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:Fuel economy is also important to me....as is insurance cost.

The magazine just wants to sell magazines...so often it's all about the glamour.....

You can probably find the info you need on the net....in fact...click on the link in the post above.
looking at the fuel guide my bike isnt listed yet I gave my info on that thread.

wonder if its because I was the only one with that type of bike????

Either way I have a honda shadow deluxe vlx 1996 and get 55mpg continuously on city/county roads and I drive 60mph.
That is decent mileage.
not as good as a rebel but..... I am not going to complain :D.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

I would like fuel mileage in reviews. I don't mind if they keep the statistics they have now too.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#15 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

matthew5656 wrote:Bicycle: Better exercise, with an ability to laugh and poke fun at the majority spending a lot of their paycheck on black gold. MPG= Best
As you don't generally drink Petrolium Spirits (ok "Gasoline") shouldn't that be listed in Miles Per Pie, not Miles Per Gallon?
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

waizen
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by waizen »

My '06 Kawasaki 900 Classic has been getting a consistent 54-55 mpg with a mixture of local and highway speeds. Two weeks ago, I actually got 58 mpg, however, that was the only time I filled up at a different pump. Usually I fill up at the same pump to get consistent reports.

BTW: most cruiser mags will publish mpg. Sportbike mags don't list them as much, I find.

e1_zx-9r
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2000 & 2002/Kawasaki ZX-9Rs

#17 Unread post by e1_zx-9r »

This would be a good post on a magazine forum.

One of my main considerations last Aug (2008) was MPG. I like a fun bike, but it looses it's appeal if it strands or limits my riding due to poor range. I want a bike I can ride hard and the MPG goes down to 42 rather than going down to 30. The mags listed my ZX-9r as getting 38-42 MPG, but I found many personal blogs showing the actual to be roughly 50. So even when the mags do post MPG, it's posted after they 1/4 mile it a dozen times, top speed the sucker, and race it around the track. Useless!!

Many of the posts here reflect the thinking of today's riders, F--- MPG. These same guys are the ones I'm having to nurse around to the next gas station, because they forgot to realize that most rides to canyonland require 50-100 miles of boring highway. And when they get to canyonland, the nearest gas station was 30 miles back and now they can't play because they're on fumes. Those kinds of bikes should be left at the track.

For us real-world riders, we want comfort, agility, and a bike we can actually go somewhere with. And when most riders buy a track bike or a drag strip bike for the street, mfgrs build bikes that do just that.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#18 Unread post by Nalian »

I've had quite a range on my bike ('07 kawi 650r) depending on the riding I'm doing. The best I've seen was 62mpg while on a highway trip. Most of the time I was going between 65-85 mph but it was pretty consistent in 6th gear and not much throttle fluctuation. The worst I've seen is when my commute was all in town no more than 4 miles (but it still took 20 minutes..). I got around 48ish mpg.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#19 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

The B-King is actually ok in terms of mpg. Most times I get 45 mpg as a commuter. A few 48's and once a 52 (entirely highway ride).

I think, with a bit of Honda-style VFR upcoming cylinder management technology - even a beast like my B-king would get 50's to 60's.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#20 Unread post by JC Viper »

RhadamYgg wrote:The B-King is actually ok in terms of mpg. Most times I get 45 mpg as a commuter. A few 48's and once a 52 (entirely highway ride).

I think, with a bit of Honda-style VFR upcoming cylinder management technology - even a beast like my B-king would get 50's to 60's.

RhadamYgg
Yeah, the new VFR is supposed to be a long distance touring bike with near 200MPH speed.

The new issue of Motorcyclist has a picture of it being ridden and it looks kinda funky. I like the look of the current VFR models.

Kawasaki is listing MPG figures for some bikes but not for their super sports considering people who ride them aren't really concerned with mileage.

with an aftermarket air filter and a slight gearing change my Vulcan 500 can get 59 MPG highway (65MPH, 57MPG @ 80MPH). Around town I can expect 40 - 48 MPG (ham fisted and conservative throttle respectively).
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.