RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

10 things I dislike about motorcycle manufacturers

#1 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Here we go - a noobs feeling about motorcycle manufacturers - in no particular order:

1) I always buy cheap-"O Ring" stuff, except for vehicles and houses. So, why is it that my cheap "O Ring" $250 lawn mower has an automatic choke and my $3,000 motorcycle doesn't? When was the last time you bought a car with a manual choke?

2) ABS should be an available option on just about all models of motorcycle, just like in cars.

3) What is the deal with the drum brakes? Is this older technology really all that much cheaper than disc brakes? I mean come on, I can actually change the pads on disc brakes. Just checking, but I think the majority of new cars don't have drum brakes. Weird that they are common past the year 2000...

4) Break-in period? WTH? You know, it should be just like a car - 500 miles - keep it under 60 and don't race like an idiot.

5) What is the deal with aftermarket light bulbs and LEDs being brighter than what the manufacturer provides? The OEM parts should be the best bulbs/LEDs available that are DOT approved. I just don't get it. It isn't even like these superbright LEDs are expensive.

6) Electronic Fuel Injection... Once again, when was the last time you bought a new car that had a carb? I think my sister-in-laws 1991 Dodge Spirit thing had carbs... But after that? Not really. My 1992 Civic LX was Electronic Fuel Injected - and so were all the cars I bought after that... 1997 CRV, 2001 Accord, 2007 Odyssey... Is it a Honda thing? I don't think so, but maybe.

7) Liquid Cooling should be standard (except for duel-purpose and off-road bikes, where I think there is some advantage in air-cooled). It isn't like it is some kind of engineering feat, and judging by the price of the Ninja 250... It doesn't seem to affect price much.

8) Louder horns to save your "O Ring", not have kids on pedal powered bikes laugh at you. Hell, I was beeping so my wife would look at me (she was following me to the service place) and she didn't hear a damned thing.

9) I love the decals on bikes. Really, I do. Especially bikes like the Hyabusa. Would it cost so much more to make them retro-reflective? Huh? An extra dollar or two?

10) All bikes should have a tachometer. I don't care if you use it, never use it, whatever, but the damned thing should be there. I personally, will not buy a bike without a tach, and that really limited my options for a newbie bike.

Thoughts, Suggestions? Am I a jackass for expecting any of these?

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

1) Automatic chokes have a bad habit of failing lol. They're "poo poo"... they're on Arctic cat quads. If I had the choice I'd rip the bloody things out of ever single one that gets sold. ERGH!

2) ABS... I want to modulate my brakes. I want to be in charge.

3) Drum brakes are self actuating, and actually a lot cheaper to make and maintain. Sure they take a little more work to change. But on a bike that doesn't need the stopping power why bother? Plus you don't really need to worry about warping a drum brake.

4) Break in period... who actually follows that??

5) Everything is built to a price point. Yes, I would LOVE to have the brightest stuff possible, but that'll cost me more in the initial purchase.

6) Bike carbs are efficient enough that they don't NEED to be replaced. And I know for sure that if I'm pulled over on the side of the highway with a fueling issue I'd MUCH rather have carbs then FI. I can rebuild a carb, I cannot rebuild an injector.

7) Again... just don't see the point of added weight and complexity if cooling works it out.

8) YES!

9) PFFFFFT

10) I like Tach's, but you don't NEED one.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#3 Unread post by KingRobb »

1-10 Different people like different things. i am happy to have choices.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

most has already been said by SEV but
1) they fail
2) ABS ever rode an ABS bike on dirt??
3) My 49 HD has Mech. drum rear and will stop in less distance than a new Buell with crummy discs weighing a lot less. (using rear brake only) Thge 49 brakes DO NOT fade in rain,leak fluid, or squeek like many discs. Also shoes will last a lot longer than pads.
4) When I rebuild a engine I double break in period.
5) Most of the brighter bulbs are not DOT approved
6) Every FI car I have owned has given trouble both electronic or mechanical (I don't want that with a bike)
7) Other than weight Liquid cooling would be more advantagious on a duel sport than a street bike. (I have had problems off road with overheating but not on street with air cooled bikes)
8) If you have time to actually use a horn you don't really need it. (I never use a horn bike <except just before passing> or car with most bikes horn cannot be heard over motor anyway) seems strange that a horn is required (legally) but winkers and two brakes and speedos are not
9) I hate decals.
10) Tachs are nice but a trip meter is a must. (also nice to have a speedo that reads in MPH and KPH)
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I was going to say... Automatic chokes shouldn't fail frequently, I've never had a car that had problems with this....

But most of the cars I've owned have been EFI, and so, no choke...

In terms of EFI... Maybe its Honda, but I've never had any issues with mine. I had a distributor fail in 222K mile0s on my Civic, 202K miles on the CRV, no break-downs, 60K on my Accord... Transmission problem, covered by Warranty, and the Odyssey is too young to have any problems - it only has like 20K miles on it.

If cars can have dependable EFI, there really shouldn't be a reason why it shouldn't be just as dependable on a bike. Especially, given that most cars drive many more miles than most bikes.

The horn thingy... I've used my horn once (for a traffic reason) and it was because I was annoyed, not because it would have saved my life. Some jackass missed his exit and ( a very long distance ahead of me ) stopped in the right lane of the Parkway and needed to wait for cars to go by to get off. I don't think he even heard me.

ABS, should have a switch to turn it off, as some cars have, just like traction control. If this is an issue, a $2 switch should have no problems in turning the system off. Besides, I'm saying it should be an available option. Right now, only the high-end bikes have ABS available. This is the way cars were years ago - when the technology was expensive.

I don't NEED a tach, however, I find that they are one of the most useful things in the world to *know* which gear I'm in for a given speed and if there is something seriously wrong with the motor. A tach, should be so cheap, that who would notice the extra $20 on the price of the bike? I mean, really, simple cost benefit, if you use it 10 times in the life of the bike it cost you $2 each time, but I bet that if you have a tach, you'll look at it sometimes and that'll be more than 10 times or even 100 times in the life of the bike.

Disliking decals - is no big deal. I think I've read they aren't hard to take off. But if they're there, and you leave them on, and someone took the effort to design the damned things, shouldn't at least parts of them be retro-reflective? I'd think (if you are in to decals) that this would make the cooler rather than dorky.

Although, I'll admit I'm one dorky motorcycle rider. Neon Yellow jacket, cat ears on helmet and retro-reflective stickers on my silver solid helmet. :)

Drum brakes might be cheaper to build, but on a cheap-bike like mine - it has disc brakes in the front and back, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to include it on any bike, even as an option.

Shoes do last longer than pads. My 1992 Civic had rear drums and front disks. But they also cost me 4 times as much to get fixed when they finally needed it - or twice as much when I needed the rotor shaved and the pads replaced.

I'll tell, that's weird about the liquid cooling and the off-road bikes. I just assumed that most off-road bikes were air-cooled and that was because there was some advantage in that.

Trip meter is definitely a must, but I have been assuming all bikes have one since mine does (might be a really bad assumption). In fact, two trip-meters is optimal, as I'll track an entire trip with one and my gas tank with the other in my car. Don't see ever needing three, though.

I have a little mechanical skill, but if I had either carb or EFI problems, I'd be done for the day, no question. Unless a bottle of ether would fix the problem. Although, I do know a guy that burned his face badly shotting ether in to a carb. No permenant damage for him, fortunately. Did do it badly enough to have puss harden and keep his eyes shut for a while. Ewwwwww.

Let's think of it this way, it was between the Rebel and the Ninja for me. But, the rebel doesn't have optional disk brakes for the rear. And I like disc brakes (even if it is for the wrong reasons). I really like tacks on vehicles... But it isn't even an option. Possibly a third party could do it (I don't see why it shouldn't be possible).

ABS, I love it in my car. Not an option on any beginner bike.

EFI? Same thing. Hell, the European version of the 2008 Ninja 250 has EFI. It is a known entity and technology. It isn't an option in the US. But that hardly matters since I'd have been extremely luck to have found and purchased a 2008 Ninja 250.

As far as brighter lights, some (but far from all) are DOT approved. I think there are tolerances though, that if it is too bright you basically violate the spec for the light and it wouldn't be DOT approved. I don't see why motorcycles shouldn't come new with the best possible lights available for them (and plenty of them) - even if it is an option.

But it isn't even an option. So, kaput on there.

These are all things that the manufacturers can do or offer, and certainly overcharge and make money on - as car dealers do with car options, but for some reason they are not motivated to do it.

RhadamYgg

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: 10 things I dislike about motorcycle manufacturers

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

RhadamYgg wrote:Here we go - a noobs feeling about motorcycle manufacturers - in no particular order:

1) I always buy cheap-"O Ring" stuff, except for vehicles and houses. So, why is it that my cheap "O Ring" $250 lawn mower has an automatic choke and my $3,000 motorcycle doesn't? When was the last time you bought a car with a manual choke?

2) ABS should be an available option on just about all models of motorcycle, just like in cars.

3) What is the deal with the drum brakes? Is this older technology really all that much cheaper than disc brakes? I mean come on, I can actually change the pads on disc brakes. Just checking, but I think the majority of new cars don't have drum brakes. Weird that they are common past the year 2000...

4) Break-in period? WTH? You know, it should be just like a car - 500 miles - keep it under 60 and don't race like an idiot.

5) What is the deal with aftermarket light bulbs and LEDs being brighter than what the manufacturer provides? The OEM parts should be the best bulbs/LEDs available that are DOT approved. I just don't get it. It isn't even like these superbright LEDs are expensive.

6) Electronic Fuel Injection... Once again, when was the last time you bought a new car that had a carb? I think my sister-in-laws 1991 Dodge Spirit thing had carbs... But after that? Not really. My 1992 Civic LX was Electronic Fuel Injected - and so were all the cars I bought after that... 1997 CRV, 2001 Accord, 2007 Odyssey... Is it a Honda thing? I don't think so, but maybe.

7) Liquid Cooling should be standard (except for duel-purpose and off-road bikes, where I think there is some advantage in air-cooled). It isn't like it is some kind of engineering feat, and judging by the price of the Ninja 250... It doesn't seem to affect price much.

8) Louder horns to save your "O Ring", not have kids on pedal powered bikes laugh at you. Hell, I was beeping so my wife would look at me (she was following me to the service place) and she didn't hear a damned thing.

9) I love the decals on bikes. Really, I do. Especially bikes like the Hyabusa. Would it cost so much more to make them retro-reflective? Huh? An extra dollar or two?

10) All bikes should have a tachometer. I don't care if you use it, never use it, whatever, but the damned thing should be there. I personally, will not buy a bike without a tach, and that really limited my options for a newbie bike.

Thoughts, Suggestions? Am I a jackass for expecting any of these?

RhadamYgg
My 2 cents...

1. On a carbureted bike, I will take a manual choke over a auto choke. I also would like it by the handlebars and not on the carb like my KLX.

2. I agree that ABS is great and all bikes should have it except for dirt bikes.

3. Drums look so uncool but I suppose a crappy drum brake is much safer than a super easy to lock up rear discs found on some bikes.

4. Pass :wink:

5. I don't mind that as I love modifying my bikes to improve it and those are very easy mods.

6. EFI is great! Although I have the carb on my KLX dialed in perfectly(changed the pilot and main jets, shimmed and adjusted the needles, drilled out the side, etc etc) it starts instantaneously and can be ridden away right awat like an EFI with no hiccups or hesitation. :D

7. IMO, the dirtbikes and dual purposes bikes that go off-road, need liquid cooling more so.

8. I agree 100%. Installing an aftermarket horn is a PITA and most bikes have no room for it. :frusty:

9. Never thought of that but it's a very good idea!

10. I agree 110%!
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by Big B »

RhadamYgg wrote: ABS, should have a switch to turn it off, as some cars have, just like traction control.
umm... you can't turn abs off on a car. you can switch the traction control off on the ones that have it, but the only way to defeat the abs system is to pull the fuse

and i'm really happy my vtx does not have abs

as far as carbs vs. efi, i like the fuel injection, but like sev said, bikes are built to a price point, and carbs are cheaper than a fuel injection system. just about every automobile has been fuel injected since the late eighties, but when a cheap automobile costs as much as an expensive motorcycle, and with the sheer volume of cars sold compared to motorcycles, the added cost of efi is eaten up.

horns, i agree with you, put a stebel on and enjoy

decals.... eh, i catch someone putting a reflective decal on my bike and it won't be pretty, but to each his own

if there's enough people that still want air cooled engines, then manufacturers will continue to make them

it's not overly difficult to install an aftermarket tachometer on a motorcycle. i wouldn't let such a small thing influence my bike buying decision

out of order, i know, sorry :twisted:
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

RhadamYgg wrote:Here we go - a noobs feeling about motorcycle manufacturers - in no particular order:

I thought cars were fuel injected and that's why they didn't need choke?
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Brackstone wrote:

I thought cars were fuel injected and that's why they didn't need choke?
My '02 BMW R1150R is FI'd but has a "choke". It's actually a fast idle lever that needs to be used like a choke when starting cold. I think it's kinda backwards that they couldn't incorporate a fast idle circuit into the EFI. :frusty:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Big B wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote: ABS, should have a switch to turn it off, as some cars have, just like traction control.
umm... you can't turn abs off on a car. you can switch the traction control off on the ones that have it, but the only way to defeat the abs system is to pull the fuse

and i'm really happy my vtx does not have abs

as far as carbs vs. efi, i like the fuel injection, but like sev said, bikes are built to a price point, and carbs are cheaper than a fuel injection system. just about every automobile has been fuel injected since the late eighties, but when a cheap automobile costs as much as an expensive motorcycle, and with the sheer volume of cars sold compared to motorcycles, the added cost of efi is eaten up.

horns, i agree with you, put a stebel on and enjoy

decals.... eh, i catch someone putting a reflective decal on my bike and it won't be pretty, but to each his own

if there's enough people that still want air cooled engines, then manufacturers will continue to make them

it's not overly difficult to install an aftermarket tachometer on a motorcycle. i wouldn't let such a small thing influence my bike buying decision

out of order, i know, sorry :twisted:
You know, I think your're right about the ABS, it isn't that it couldn't have a switch, like Traction control often does, but no, I checked my car and it doesn't have a switch off for ABS. Easy fix, though I should think.

hehe, I like your comment on the reflective decals. :) I'm just thinking about it like Microsoft. They were the winner by default in the browser war.

IE came with the computer and most people use IE. If the reflective decals came on the bike, few people would actively remove them to put non-reflective ones in, especially since during the day they don't really look all that different.

I think what makes carbs cheaper is economies of scale. So, if the manufacturers changed all their bikes to come with or have optional EFI, then the price would come down comparably to carbs + a little bit. I'd be willing to pay a little bit for EFI, I might even be willing to find an aftermarket EFI system for my bike, but with labor @95/hr, and the limits of my mechanical ability, I sure as hell am not going to waste a few hundred dollars for something I won't even be able to get on to my bike.

I don't know if aftermarket EFI is available, I think it used to be available for cars, until, well they all went EFI.

RhadamYgg