Using High Beams For Safety

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Using High Beams For Safety

#1 Unread post by TrueFaith »

Getting back into riding after a long break and I was wondering what the opinion is these days about using high beams on your headlights during the day for more visibility. Do most of you use them, or not? Also, what became of "headlight modulators"? Seems like there were ads for them everywhere when I was last riding and statistics to back up their use. These days I haven't seen them mentioned at all.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

In Kansas it is illegal to ride with your high beams on all the time. Same in Missouri. I bet if you check your local laws you'll find that you're required to switch to low beam when approaching another vehicle.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Skier

#3 Unread post by Skier »

In most states you must dim your headlights to low beam if there is oncoming traffic, even if it is daytime.

Headlight modulators may help but some drivers think a flashing headlight is a "go ahead" or "I'll yield to you" signal - that is not what you want to say!
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#4 Unread post by flw »

During the day on the Interstate, I do all the time. Anything to raise my visability in heavy traffic.

I always turn them down if I pass a stationary cop or pass one going the other way. If they pull me over it will be off before they can verify anything, if that's why they pulled me over anyway. Since I don't have a radar detector or cannot set a cruising speed so speeding a bit is the most likely reason for me to get tagged.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#5 Unread post by Thumper »

In Calif it's not only legal to ride a bike with your high beam on, it's recommended. I always ride with mine on (I don't ride at night, so there's rarely a need for me to switch to low beams.)

I want to put a modulator on, just haven't gotten around to it. And the flicker rate is fast enough that no one will mistake it for a go-ahead signal. The typical reaction (Spouse Thingy has one on his bike) is "Dude, there's something wrong with your headlight..." People do notice it, and if they can get to you to tell you, they like to warn you about your impending headlight explosion... :lol:

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by TrueFaith »

I just checked the law at the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles web site and riding during the day with high beams on is not only legal, it is strongly recommended for motorcyclists. That makes perfect sense to me, since most accidents here seem to happen with cars turning left in front of the biker because the automobile driver did not see him.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by jonnythan »

I always do it during the day, and will continue to do it whether it's legal or not.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

If you can't see the large black object with a white light and four bright yellow markers on it, how is having my brights on going to make a difference?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by TrueFaith »

For the same reason you have to dim that white light when approching cars at night. Because the beam is directed higher and shines at eye level - hence it is more noticeable, even in daylight. If you approch someone with a flashlight beam directed towards the ground it won't be noticed anywhere near as much as it is if you shine it directly into their eyes. High beam and low beam refers to the angle of the beam, not the intensity of it.

Skier

#10 Unread post by Skier »

TrueFaith wrote:For the same reason you have to dim that white light when approching cars at night. Because the beam is directed higher and shines at eye level - hence it is more noticeable, even in daylight. If you approch someone with a flashlight beam directed towards the ground it won't be noticed anywhere near as much as it is if you shine it directly into their eyes. High beam and low beam refers to the angle of the beam, not the intensity of it.
Many vehicles use a higher wattage bulb for the highbeam.

What worries me about blasting other motorists with a very bright light aimed at them is the fact it's hard to ignore: target fixation.

My anecdotal evidence is running with your highbeam on all the time doesn't improve visibility one lick.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]