Using High Beams For Safety

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by Skier »

jonnythan wrote:
Johnj wrote:
jonnythan wrote:The idea that brighter lights "hides" your bike is stupid.

The problem is that the cagers just don't see us. Shining a brighter light at them makes a larger percentage of them aware of my existence.

End of story. I use my highbeams in the day.
In that case why don't you get an aircraft landing light. Those puppies put out a lot more light than any high beam. :roll:
1) It's illegal.

2) My bike's electrical system is so weak it can't even handle a pair of driving lights on a light bar ;)
Using your highbeam during daytime is also illegal in some states so you only have the other excuse. ;)

As for a motorcycle being "hidden" by a very bright light, I haven't found anything more than anecdotal evidence either way.

The idea of brighter lights not hiding your bike is stupid.

What now? :P

On a more serious note, it's the difference in brightness from the motorcycle body and the highbeam. The same difference in brightness that prevents you from seeing what kind of car is aimed at you at night: all you can see are the headlights and nothing behind them.

I have yet to come across information showing the difference in brightness would be a problem or not in daylight and highbeam scenarios.

To sum up my position, I have found no evidence a highbeam during daytime improves visibility. Your bike's electrical system could be better utilized by making your motorcycle appear bigger and "breaking through" the mental filters of motorists.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#32 Unread post by ofblong »

TrueFaith wrote:ofblonng,
So you're saying that because a Jeep's headlights are closer together than most cars, this gets transmitted to an oncoming driver as the Jeep appearing farther away? That makes sense considering how inattentive cagers are in the first place and how they only rely on an abrupt glance to completely size up a traffic situation before committing. If that's the case, then I imagine this problem is specific to Jeep CJs and not to other models like a Cherokee Chief or Liberty. Interesting.
yes I dont consider cherokee's a jeep but an suv. So I am talking about cj types etc etc where the lights are very close together. Good job deducing what I was talking about :D.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Skier

#33 Unread post by Skier »

ofblong, I'm still waiting for something more concrete than anecdotal evidence. Spouting stories, secondhand knowledge and making personal attacks only weaken your position.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#34 Unread post by Johnj »

jonnythan wrote:I always do it during the day, and will continue to do it whether it's legal or not.
jonnythan wrote:
Johnj wrote:

The problem is that the cagers just don't see us. Shining a brighter light at them makes a larger percentage of them aware of my existence.

In that case why don't you get an aircraft landing light. Those puppies put out a lot more light than any high beam. :roll:
1) It's illegal.

2) My bike's electrical system is so weak it can't even handle a pair of driving lights on a light bar ;)
:?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#35 Unread post by ceemes »

Same, and I still ride as if the bike had a Romulan Cloaking Device engaged.
Always ask why.

Teek
Regular
Regular

#36 Unread post by Teek »

Ditto. If my high beam aggravates my buddy riding in staggered formation several lengths in front of me, then he's obviously more aware I'm there, which makes me think probably drivers coming the other way could also potentially be more aware I'm there. But I still ride like they can't see me. :|
2001 Suzuki GS500, Sonic springs, Katana shock, 14t sprocket, OEM flyscreen & chin spoiler, billet fork brace, fenderectomy, Diamond links, NGK Iridium plugs. Lowered and lean but not very mean.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#37 Unread post by ofblong »

Skier wrote:ofblong, I'm still waiting for something more concrete than anecdotal evidence. Spouting stories, secondhand knowledge and making personal attacks only weaken your position.
I never attacked you so that right there kinda makes you look stupid yourself. as for the rest its common sense as well as common knowledge.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... ?p=8285702

bout halfway down someone stated same thing.

may I also suggest you read

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story. ... =3/11/2008

this talks about the RPI reports. Easily found with GOOGLE like I told you to do because to me its common sense.

Skier

#38 Unread post by Skier »

ofblong wrote:
Skier wrote:ofblong, I'm still waiting for something more concrete than anecdotal evidence. Spouting stories, secondhand knowledge and making personal attacks only weaken your position.
I never attacked you so that right there kinda makes you look stupid yourself. as for the rest its common sense as well as common knowledge.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... ?p=8285702

bout halfway down someone stated same thing.

may I also suggest you read

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story. ... =3/11/2008

this talks about the RPI reports. Easily found with GOOGLE like I told you to do because to me its common sense.
Your response, quoted below, sure appears to be an attack on anyone not "deducing" what you were trying to explain:
ofblong wrote:
TrueFaith wrote:ofblonng,
So you're saying that because a Jeep's headlights are closer together than most cars, this gets transmitted to an oncoming driver as the Jeep appearing farther away? That makes sense considering how inattentive cagers are in the first place and how they only rely on an abrupt glance to completely size up a traffic situation before committing. If that's the case, then I imagine this problem is specific to Jeep CJs and not to other models like a Cherokee Chief or Liberty. Interesting.
yes I dont consider cherokee's a jeep but an suv. So I am talking about cj types etc etc where the lights are very close together. Good job deducing what I was talking about :D.
I am afraid I am not buying your common sense and common knowledge statements. The forum link you provided backed up my argument of trying to make a motorcycle appear bigger with a light triangle:
As for marker lights showing the vehicle width, make your turn signals into running lights if they're not that way already, and add 5 amber lights on top of the windshield.

The problem with the TJ is the headlights are so close together that people think it's either a very small vehicle or very far away.
Same problem with bikes, same solution: make your vehicle appear as large as possible.

The second link you sent has an appropriate section:
"Research from the University of Granada in Spain showed that people do tend to misestimate the vehicle distances for vehicles with closely or distantly spaced headlights in clear weather at night," Bullough said. "Fog or snow will certainly complicate things further."
Most motorcycles fall into this same category with either a single light or two closely mounted lights. Cranking up the brightness isn't going to help!

Two more notes: the first instance of "Google" in this thread is the quote starting this post and you really, really need to brush up on your English skills: "its" is possessive and "it's" is short for "it is." I find it hard to believe things are "common knowledge" or "common sense" when someone doesn't have the "common sense" of a grade schooler.

There, now that is a personal attack.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#39 Unread post by ofblong »

lol ok grade school idiot. its easier to right its than it's so I wrote its and its to me has always been the same as it is. I dont need to know proper english for my line of work as a MECHANIC so why dont you go crawl into the hole you came from cause your not helping anyone with this thread. I proved you wrong and now your pissed. boohoo

Skier

#40 Unread post by Skier »

ofblong wrote:lol ok grade school idiot. its easier to right its than it's so I wrote its and its to me has always been the same as it is. I dont need to know proper english for my line of work as a MECHANIC so why dont you go crawl into the hole you came from cause your not helping anyone with this thread. I proved you wrong and now your pissed. boohoo
I am going to assume you didn't read anything I posted. Instead, you skimmed it and responded to what you thought I wrote. If you want to respond to the points I brought up instead of dismissing them offhand, I am willing to continue the discussion.