Fair Weather Riders

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#51 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I ride in winter for two reasons. I don't have a car and it never occurred to me not to.

Riding in the cold can be bloody uncomfortable or even downright painful, riding in the wet can raise a degree of anxiety. But there is a lot of discomfort and anxiety in life, so what the hell! At least I'm out on the bike.

Call me stupid but I'd rather have an uncomfortable or anxious ride than none at all. Maybe I lack imagination, but when I decide to ride out in the wet or the cold, I don't think, hell this is going to be uncomfortable, I just think, great! some time on the bike. I might come home feeling like crud, but I left it feeling great. I just choose to forget the first and remember the second.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with balls or commitment to the bike or anything like that. I think it is just a habit of mind.

The thing that bothers me most about winter riding is the damage it does to my bike. Now I have two bikes and I'm not so bothered. :D :D :D 8)
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

wickedrider
Elite
Elite

#52 Unread post by wickedrider »

What damage does winter riding do?

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#53 Unread post by Shorts »

wickedrider wrote:What damage does winter riding do?
Roads often are sprinkled with sand and/or salt to keep them clear.

rhd
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Fair Weather Riders

#54 Unread post by rhd »

Mintbread wrote:... these limp-wristed part-time riders ...

you're kidding ,,, right?

Anyone who has the nerve to get on a vehicle with just 2 wheels and absolutely no metal between them and the road, other hard stationary objects and a wide variety of 4 wheel and more heavy vehicles whose drivers often seem intent on crashing into them and their motorcycles certainly shouldn't be called "limp wristed."
1984 Nighthawk 650SC

1991 Nighthawk 250

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#55 Unread post by Mintbread »

sv-wolf wrote: Call me stupid but I'd rather have an uncomfortable or anxious ride than none at all. Maybe I lack imagination, but when I decide to ride out in the wet or the cold, I don't think, hell this is going to be uncomfortable, I just think, great! some time on the bike. I might come home feeling like crud, but I left it feeling great. I just choose to forget the first and remember the second.
Exactly my point.
Hence why I raised the point about commitment. I ride my bike every chance I get because I just love to ride, not because I like to ride when the sun is out and the roads are nice and dry. Yes, that makes it better, but any time I ride is a good time.
rhd wrote: you're kidding ,,, right?
No.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

celt
Elite
Elite

#56 Unread post by celt »

mostly fair weather rider here.

i will ride in the cold (i've ridden 20 degrees f.) but sometimes here in central NY we get black ice. i just about shat myself the first time i hit black ice & slid sideways my first winter with a bike.

i would be less of a fair weather rider if i didn't have to dress nicely for work. i go as far as bringing dress trousers and a tie in my backpack and changing when i get to work, but if it's nasty out i'd have to wear a rainsuit (which would make me sweat a lot so i'd be worse off than if i didn't wear one ;))

so if it's already raining in the morning i'm kinda forced to take my car in crappy weather. if it's supposed to rain on the drive home, i'm more apt to take the bike as it doesn't matter what shape my clothes are in going home...

however, when i don't have to work i generally don't set out to ride in the rain. although i'm not miserable if i get caught in it...just as long as it's not unsafe(windy enough to have branches fall on me and/or blow me all over the road; lightning storm, snow, etc...)

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#57 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I guess Im fair weather, If its raining out, Ill take the truck.... and I cant ride 6 months out of year as well. snow kinda puts a damper on it. I did invest in a rain suit lately, and saddle bags to keep it in. so I plan on getting out a bit more, but horrible cage drivers in the nice weather get worse in the rain up here....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#58 Unread post by qwerty »

I had a dog that was too dumb to come out of the rain. He smelled like he had been too many hours in a rainsuit, too.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#59 Unread post by BlueBomber »

I don't feel like reading all of the replies right now...too late...early? (4am)

I'm not, as of yet, a fair weather rider. I've ridden about 120 miles so far. 10 in total downpour. 20 in good conditions. 65 in about 40-50 degrees and 25 in 20-30 degrees.

But I bet the snow will stop me right quick...

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

Re: Fair Weather Riders

#60 Unread post by shane-o »

Mintbread wrote:As the weather has started to warm up down under I have noticed a lot more bikes on the road and more guys are riding their bikes in to work.
I, on the other hand, ride my bike all year round regardless if it is cold or pouring with rain and just shake my head at these limp-wristed part-time riders and constantly question their commitment to motorcycling in general.

We do not get months of snow over here that would make it physically impossible to ride so my question is only relative to cold weather and rain.

Are you a fair weather rider and if so, why?

yes, feel ya pain :)

I have also noticed alot of riders starting to get out there since the weather has become fine.

I also, ride all year round infact, for quite a while now, my bike is the only form of transport I have.

I must say though, I do prefer the roads dry than wet, but just cuase they are wet, wont mean I wont get out there :)

Fair weather riders = no balls ;)
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]