bmw extras

nivek24
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

bmw extras

#1 Unread post by nivek24 »

hi, first time on here so here goes.
i have been looking at buying a bmw rt1200rt and about the extras you can have with it. I like the heated grips and trip/oil ind computer but what about the esa,heated seats and cruise.
Any one got any thoughts on these, which is needed and which is not.
thanks kevin

MontyCarlo
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by MontyCarlo »

Heated grips and RID/computer are must-haves.

The ESA stability control system adds a margin of safety that depends on your riding habits. If you like all-weather rides through the twisties on wet roads, then definitely go for it. If you're just doing fair weather trips on superslab, you probably don't need it. I'm pretty sure you can't get an RT without the ABS, and that's good since you definitely want ABS.

Electronic cruise: adds some comfort to the long highway trips if that's what you're doing. Personally I just use a hair tie wedged b/w the throttle and bar, as i don't like to have my hands off the bars for more than a couple of seconds. The weather protection is really good on the RTs. Personally I don't bother with heated seats since if it's that cold I have enough layers on to keep my bum warm already.
"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Hi!

Here are some places to ask your questions and where folks who KNOW (and have used these 'amenities') can give you the low down. (By the way, its a R1200RT):

www.bmwsporttouring.net OR http://r1150r.org/board/index.php

I've got a previous model of the R bike: R1150R - Rockster. LOVE the flat twin engine. Lots of pull in lower rpms, so you don't need to wind it up over 5000 to get power.

Mine is more 'nekkid.' No fairing or heated seat option. I hear that the ESA is amazing. The flat twin engine lends itself well to owner maintenance, but you'll spend a good 30-40 minutes removing the 'tupperware' - the fairing on that RT - to GET to the engine to do any work.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

dzervit
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by dzervit »

I recently aquired a '06 R1200RT. Got mine loaded since I'm a gadget mean.

Heated grips are a must have.
Trip computer is kinda neat, but I don't think I'd miss it.
Heated seats are nice but not as effective as warming you up on a cool morning in your car.
ESA is hella-cool. Comfort mode really disconnects you from the road and gives you a floating luxury car ride (think old lincolns and caddys). Standard mode is supple yet firm (think modern bmw sedans) and sport mode is tight (M3 handling and somewhat harsh).
Cruise control is another must-have in my book. I love it.

I guess the only option I could do without is the trip computer, but for a measly $210 or so, why not just get it?
½ of a 03 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
All of a 06 BMW R1200RT