Life Experiences - helmets

doodlebug
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Life Experiences - helmets

#1 Unread post by doodlebug »

Hello, I am new here but have read the forums for years to get information. In August I sold my Shadow VLX and got a Boulevard C50.
Great Bike. :)
Yesterday, I had my first experience of an accident (i'm OK), Bike has cometic damage :x . My riding experience is off and on since college (I'm 43). What happened in so many words is an older lady (senior) pulled into my lane when she went to check her mailbox while on a little country road. I went off into her lawn at hit the wet grass and went over, as I said I am OK. What I am getting at is when I got up my helmet had plowed through the wet grass so hard about 2 feet, that grass,dirt and even a worm were plastered on my helmet :shock: . Without the helmet I would have a terrible headache.
Anyway, she said she didn't see me. Bike has less than 400miles and needs some stuff like turnlights on the side a hit the grass, handlebars are minutly bent and front headlight stand is bent. Just makes me mad.
It happened so fast, was wondering if there was anything I could have done?
My learning that I can get into misshaps and the helmet lessons makes me optomistic. :lol:

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Re: Life Experiences - helmets

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

sorry to hear that. im glad it wasn't very bad.

doodlebug wrote:What happened in so many words is an older lady (senior) pulled into my lane when she went to check her mailbox while on a little country road.

It happened so fast, was wondering if there was anything I could have done?
if you have done this before she got in her car, then it would have never happened...

but then again, it's never too late. :twisted:

:laughing:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

badfish89
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by badfish89 »

loud pipes and helmets save lives
[img]http://r2.fodey.com/178a00a236ae9408ea0fec7711f874423.1.gif[/img]
V-TWIN fo lyfe

asiantay
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by asiantay »

I would say most accidents are avoidable. If we all paid more attention and scanned ahead better, motorcycle accidents would be reduced greatly. It just sucks that cagers dont have an incentive to scan ahead (a la 2000 lbs of steel around them). Glad you're ok.
Lenny: Hey George I want a dog.
George: Shut up Lenny, you're too stupid for a dog.
Lenny: At least I'm not an @ssoff.

- Of As and Off

MontyCarlo
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by MontyCarlo »

From your description it sounds like you did the only thing possible, swerve out of the way off the road. I'd much rather lowside on grass than plow into a car any day. Unfortunately, it might be harder to prove liability on her part since you avoided the collision and didn't actually hit her vehicle . :evil: File a claim with her insurance anyway, hopefully they'll foot the bill for your repairs.

It's good to step back and ask *why* she didn't see you. As a motorcyclist you are already invisible, but what could you do to make yourself more visible? What color is your bike? Helmet? Jacket? If you answered black to all three, you're putting yourself at additional risk.

Reflective vests, white helmets, and flashing headlight modulators all go a long way towards increasing your visibility and safety margin.

Oh, and replace that helmet. It's done its job. Retire it and upgrade.
"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#6 Unread post by t_bonee »

MontyCarlo wrote: It's good to step back and ask *why* she didn't see you. As a motorcyclist you are already invisible, but what could you do to make yourself more visible? What color is your bike? Helmet? Jacket? If you answered black to all three, you're putting yourself at additional risk.
In theory this is true. From what I've heard from other riders experiences that I've heard about this from, in practice it doesn't seem to help much. I met some riders that were forced out of their lane or cut off or turned in front of wearing bright gear just like I've met some the the same wearing darker gear.

I think the "I didn't see him/her" excuse is just that; an excuse for the drivers lack of attention and focus while driving their vehicle.

MontyCarlo wrote: Oh, and replace that helmet. It's done its job. Retire it and upgrade.
Sage advise. Hopefully the OP follows it.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Did YOU see her car? Before she pulled into your lane? Did YOU note that there was an elderly woman driving?

Did she pull OUT of her driveway, or was she travelling on the same road and switched lanes?

If she pulled out of her driveway, then YOU should have slowed down/covered your brakes.

If she was travelling on the road, you should have noted her slowing to do... something. YOU need to S.E.E. better.

Glad you're not hurt badly.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

BAJACRUISER
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by BAJACRUISER »

Glad to hear that your are ok....

It will be a good experience for the future.... :|
Road Star Silverado 1700 2005
Suzuki Boulevard M50 2007 (sold)

www.californiosmotoclub.com.mx

[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii252/bajacruiser/DSC04339-1.jpg[/img]

gitarjunky
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by gitarjunky »

Welcome to the boards! Glad you're alright...at least you aimed for the grass. The damage to you and your bike probably would have been a lot greater if you stayed on the pavement. Hope your scoot is in tip top shape in no time!
2005 Suzuki SV650
Get a yellow one....they're faster

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by Ian522 »

Its weird reading a post advocating helmet use, because here in jersey they are required by law. But even if I had the choice, id keep wearing my full face on every ride.