How to explain injuries?

Inquizator
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

How to explain injuries?

#1 Unread post by Inquizator »

Hey, as some of you may remember, I recently crashed at my MSF course and broke my left foot and my right wrist. Details are in this thread for those who didn't see it. Basically, college starts again tommorrow, and even just the people I've ran into so far this weekend have all asked what happened, of course.

Well, I've been saying "motorcycle crash" or "motorcycle accident", and then it's either "well, I guess you've learned to stick with a car then, huh?" or "how fast were you going? what?! only 15! wow, motorcycles are more dangerous than I thought!". Worse is when they ask what exactly happened and I mention it was at a safety class, then I get "ha! some safety class...". And even worse than that is when they ask more about the safety class and I have to admit that I ended up with the highest score, then I get "wow, that's scary...".
I just know that I'm giving motorcycling a very poor rep to a lot of people with whom I just don't have time to really discuss it with. I can see it now, when one of these peoples' kids or significant other wants to start riding "NO WAY!! When I was in college, I met this guy who broke 2 bones in a 15mph crash. Just imagine if you got in a wreck at traffic speeds?! INSTANT DEATH!!"

So, anyways, my question is this: Does anyone have any better ideas on how to explain what happened or how to head off the misperceptions sure to follow? Or is it just inevitable and there's nothing I can do about it? It just annoys me all the conclusions these un-informed people jump to. I know I'm not the only person to have this problem, so also, you people that have had injuries (particularly obvious ones), how did you explain it in order to avoid misunderstandings? Or did you just let people think what they wanted to think?

Also, here's a pic of what I look like with my casts and special crutch attachment (I guess that's why I get so many people staring):

xsyamahadg
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 55
My Motorcycle: 2007 1100 V-Star Silverado

#2 Unread post by xsyamahadg »

How about: You were being chased by a nymphomaniac and you fell down the stairs just before she caught you...or she caught you, and you both fell down the stairs :lol:
1981 Yamaha XS650H
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
1979 Honda PA 50
1970 Rupp mini
Stop in and visit my web site sometime:
http://rideohiomc1.proboards.com

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

Just say it was a bad fall in a parking lot.

They don't need to know what you fell off of.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Sevulturus wrote:Just say it was a bad fall in a parking lot.

+1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Inquizator
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by Inquizator »

Sevulturus wrote:Just say it was a bad fall in a parking lot.

Lol, there's no way I could keep a straight face saying that. I'm 19, how would I manage to fall in a parking lot and injure myself like this? I know that'd be the very next question and then I still have the same problem. I'd rather not lie or mislead, I am just trying to figure out a better way to say it.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

You can't go wrong just telling the truth. Let people have their precious hang-ups and misconceptions. It's their ignorance and their loss.

m1a1dvr
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by m1a1dvr »

I would tell every body exactly what happened. It is a good story that you will laugh at if not now then down the road.
[img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/m1a1dvr/dvrcopy.jpg[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

You could always just say a motorcycle attacked you...
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#9 Unread post by Nalian »

I wouldn't worry about giving motorcycling a bad rep - for the most part people who want to believe all motorcycles are dangerous are going to feel that way whether they see you or not. I would just be honest "I got distracted on a motorcycle and crashed." should do it. If you want to make it sound cooler say you were doing drills and crashed. If they say "So I guess you're giving up now" then give them some crap about advocating quitting just cause something went rough. ;)

I don't think there's really much you can do though.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: How to explain injuries?

#10 Unread post by Shorts »

[quote="Inquizator"][/quote]

I think you'll just have to just deal with the way things sound or the way it comes off to people. I find the same thing when I explain my accident. Yeah, I call it a rollover accident. I don't say crash, but when they ask how, I have to say "I think I fell asleep or daydreamed off". Oh yeah, that sounds real responsible :roll: I be sure to add it was at 2pm on a sunny wednesday afternoon, windows rolled down and radio blasting. How did I manage that!?

Don't worry what people say. Someone will always ask you if you'll still keep riding or make snarky comments about motorcycles. I still get asked if I'm scared to drive again. What the heck?? wierdos! Of course I'm not afraid to drive.

Just take it in stride, explain it how you wanna explain it, but there will always be people to make stupid comments. They're usually folks that, for lack of a better description, are weenies :mrgreen: