SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2004 Ducati 620ie

weird, weird, weird...and dangerous

#1 Unread post by SuperRookie »

I have an '04 Monster 620ie. The other day as I was warming her up, she sounded like she was missing a little bit. But I figured since the temp has dropped a bit in the morning she just needed to warm up a bit. The bike had been idling a bit low lately and I was going to get that checked anyway. I took off smoothly but in 2nd gear, the bike hesitated, i.e., no throttle response. I wasn't hard on the throttle, in fact, initially I thought I missed the shift so I kicked up (unknowingly to 3rd). Everything was fine for about two miles when, after having pulled off from a light, the same thing happened, albeit very briefly...a hesitation before picking up. This is my first season with this bike, so I figure, ok, she's cranky when cold...she'll be ok in a few.

Was fine for another half mile then I hit the parkway. She was fine in 2nd on the on ramp, but once I hit the entry lane, kicked into third to enter the flow, she briefly picked up, then hesitated. So, here I am, cranking the throttle and getting zilch, zero, nada, sweet nothings....with traffic moving up quickly from behind. The engine didn't stall, it was running...just not responding to throttle input. I quickly motion for traffic coming up behind me to slow and go around me...which, thankfully they did, as I waited for the first exit to appear...approx 1/2 - 3/4 mi., all the while she's sputtering, picking up briefly, hesitating. It was an issue quickly headed for a crisis.

I pulled of, slipped into neutral, cut her off. restarted, revved a few times (nothing abusive) with no problem. So I nursed her back home thru the streets dogged by this intermittent conundrum. The night before I topped off the tank in anticipation of a full days' ride in perfect, sunny 68-72 deg weather. It was not to be.

Now, I'm no wrench (I'm not even a pair of pliers) so, I don't know where to begin with this, so I had the shop pick it up rather than chance riding it and dropping it off. Any ideas what this could be? Bad gas? Watery gas? Fuel injector clog? (It revved fine in neutral)...

Sucks big time that it happened at all...no less on one of the fines weekends for riding, weatherwise in NY. I am glad it didn't happen while I was cruising at 70 and then experiencing a sudden loss of power.

Any ideas??? Thanks.
"Not just your 'ordinary' Rookie..."

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: weird, weird, weird...and dangerous

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Sounds like it could be your fuel injection system acting up, but first things first, check your gas (like you said it could be bad), then check your air filter, and check your plugs. If it still does it after that I'd check plug wires, then the FI system.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by SuperRookie »

So, I should drain the tank and fill up with fresh gas? ok. How would I go about draining the tank? Siphon? I know I sound like an idiot, but mechanical/things with moving parts have never been my forte. I'm a doctor, Jim...not a mechanic... :laughing:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Lol you see the petcock coming out of the gas tank there? Disconnect the gas line running out of the petcock toward the carbs and put it into an extra gas jug or container of some kind. Then open the petcock and drain all of the gas out. Reconnect the line and fill it with fresh gas. Run some seafoam in the fresh gas too to clear out the carb bowls. it's available from any local car parts store for pretty cheap.
And don't feel stupid asking questions, we all started somewhere!
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by SuperRookie »

What's all this talk about a petcock, eh? A pet dog, maybe :laughing: Um, my bike is fuel injected... soooo, um... perhaps I just let the shop work it out :?

Thanks, tho

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

*facepalm* wasn't even thinking about that. Yeah now you have to get into lifting/removing the tank and letting the fuel pump remove all of the fuel.

SuperRookie
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by SuperRookie »

No problemo, bro. Happens to the best :mrgreen: I am totally :frusty: tho, seeing as how the season is coming to an end and i just missed five straight days of perfect riding weather. Just shoot me. Shoot me now...

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

:shooting2:

:whistling:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.