Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

'06 Boulevard S50 electrical issue

#1 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I was out for a ride on my 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50 (805cc Intruder) and it suddenly quit running. Still had lights and warning lamps (neutral, temp, oil) but not even a click when I punched the starter. I turned the key off then back on and had no electrical at all. Cycled the ignition a couple times and got lights back but still no starter.

Friendly cager came by and offered a jump. With the cables connected, the bike would fire right up and run. As soon as the cables were taken off, it would sputter and die.

Checked it this evening, no lights again. Pulled the battery and got a multimeter reading. Set on DC V at 50, I get an output of 52. I have no idea if that is good or bad. The connections were all tight when I removed them. Some traces of rust on my battery tender cable and bolt but no apparent acid build up. There were no signs of rust on the main bolt and terminal plate.

I've kept the battery out and have it on the charger overnight and will clean all the terminals and bolts just for good measure.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Have any ideas on what I should try next? I can do simple things but I'm no mechanic.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: '06 Boulevard S50 electrical issue

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

An output of 52? On Volts DC? Either your multimeter is bad or your battery is. It should be around 12.5. 14.5 while running, and no lower than 10 while it's being cranked.
I guess it is possible you knocked a plate loose within the bike's battery and it's shorting it out, but that would be very rare.
I'm honestly guessing it's your battery that randomly decided to go ka-put, but it's weird that it did it in the middle of the ride. Were you able to ride it home? Or did you get a lift?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I ended up getting a lift for me and the bike. Got to meet a nice guy and see a really cool custom enclosed motorcycle trailer anyway. *lol*

Thanks again Wrider. I'll test this battery and try it out again in a few hours and go from there.

Well, the battery is back in and it fired right up. I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm going to keep checking it over the next few days before I risk a solo ride anywhere.

Also, I reread the multimeter and it was showing around 14 (the gauge doesn't give me exact. I have 10 then 20 and it was reading between the two closer to 10. I'm guessing in the 12 to 14 range). I was looking at the wrong numbers when I reported a reading of 50.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#4 Unread post by flynrider »

You need to get a decent multimeter (preferably a digital one). In order to test your system you need around .1 volt resolution.

A fully charged battery should read 12.4 - 12.6 volts. Attach the leads to the battery and start up the bike. With the rpms above 2000 you should see a reading in the high 13v to low 14v range. If the voltage remains around 12.5v, that's an indication that your charging system is not charging the battery (which would explain why it died in the middle of a ride).
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Thanks for the info! I was thinking of taking the battery to an auto parts store on Saturday to have them check it for faulty cells. Think I'll pick up a good digital meter while I'm there. The one I have is an analog that I've had for years and (obviously) never used.