pickledherring
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 94/honda/vf750Magna

FUBAR?

#1 Unread post by pickledherring »

For the last 15 years I have not been kind to my 94 VF750 Magna, storing her outdoors in winter. And for 15 years every spring without hesitation she would fire up immediately… well until last week. I turn the key and the lights don’t illuminate. When I press the start button the side stand light and oil light do dimly illuminate, but not even a click from the starter. I swapped all the fuses, charged the battery up, it is putting out 12V according to the multi meter.. any one have any suggestions. I am not skilled with electrical… I just bought this multi meter but looking at the wiring diagram I am pretty lost… can some one led me the benefit of their knowledge?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Re: FUBAR?

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

I'd guess corrosion at one or more of the many connections from the battery to the starter or ground.
Provided the battery is good. 12 volts showing may not mean it has the amps to power the starter.

Start by undoing, cleaning and tightening all the power connections you can find. 15 years of winters outside will raise hell with them.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: FUBAR?

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

+1 to what Buzzz said, you also can test the battery by putting a multimeter on it when trying to start it. If it drops below 10.5 volts it's done and needs to be replaced.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha