sprocket problems?

yoman793
Rookie
Rookie

sprocket problems?

#1 Unread post by yoman793 »

hey all, new bike owner here. i just got a 91 honda nighthawk 750 and love it. she needs some loving though. i've gotten the chain tightened due to the chain clicking or popping at low rpms, but now i've noticed a new problem. the chain seems to be clicking in a pattern, bout every second or sooner. the guys at the local bike shop said i had a bad sprocket when i went to have the chain tightened the first time. does this sound right? i have heard that the local bike shop has dicked around a few people and they seem a little pricey at 350 for the repair.

anyone have a similar problem, or can you confirm that this chain 'popping' or 'clicking' noise is in fact due to a worn out chain sprocket, or do i just need a new chain. i know that the chain is about ready to be replaced

i have 22,000 on the bike.

thanks for the help

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

It sounds like one or both of the sprockets could be worn. If you change out a sprocket you might as well change out both. Price out the parts at bikebandit.com and do it yourself.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

yoman793
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by yoman793 »

i dont have a center stand on my bike, or many tools other than a simple socket set. what would i need to complete the replacement. i found a chain and sprocket set on ebay for $140. is that a good price? is this a good set?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... Y.m238.lVI
i was thinking about just buying the set and taking it over to a bike shop to have to work done. any ideas?

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

It looks like it would do the job. You need to get the bike up to get the rear wheel off.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by ElChado87 »

I doubt your shop will install any parts not bought from them, for liability reasons...
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#6 Unread post by flynrider »

yoman793 wrote:i dont have a center stand on my bike, or many tools other than a simple socket set.
The centerstand was optional on your bike, but I think it's probably one of the best investments. It makes chain maintenance a snap.

Since the Nighthawk was last produced (for the North American market) back in 2003, your dealer will probably not have one. The part number you need is 50600-MW3-810. Do a Google search on that number and you should find a source on the 'net. When I bought one several years ago, they were going for around $100.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

You can get a set of front and rear stands for around $100. Great for working on the bike. That and your socket set, with maybe a few bigger sockets will have you covered.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

yoman793
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by yoman793 »

thanks ya'll. i think im going to spring for a center stand. i found one on ebay for around a 100. hey flynrider, the install aint to bad is it? i mean i wont have to jack the bike up to put the center stand on will i? also, does this get in the way of the side stand? thanks for the help guys.
91 Honda Nighthawk CB750

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by JCS »

You might want to check your local Honda dealer for a centerstand. I got a brand new one with all the stuff to mount it for a 86 VFR 750 that way. There is some other hardware involved than just the centerstand. It was about $110 I think.

Get a shop manual and it will not be that hard to install.

As far as the sprocket, if you change the chain you should change the sprockets, too. Chances are both are shot.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

yoman793
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by yoman793 »

found this set on ebay, looks to be the right stuff and has all hardware.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Center-S ... dZViewItem
probably gonna spring for some rear shocks too since i am already spending about $275 on chain, sprocket, center stand, and a case of beer. any ideas on what i should buy? i weigh bout 215 and ride two up fairly often.
91 Honda Nighthawk CB750