Fuel leak on start up

hammer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Fuel leak on start up

#1 Unread post by hammer »

hi people, im new to the site. Ive just bought a zrx1100 and have a problem that i was hoping for some help with...
I start her up and after about say ten seconds she cuts out and starts leaking fuel . It seems to be coming from just above the front of the battery bay, well back from the carbs, but its hard to tell. I cant see any fuel pipes around that area. Its a fair amount and it keeps leaking for a while after the stall then stops.
I will add that i know nothing really about bikes. I also charged the flat battery with a car battery (car not running). Dont think this is important though?

Any help appreciated. Thanks .
rob

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

Hey, Rob. Sounds like one or more of the floats in the carbs is not seating, allowing the fuel to overflow the carbs. This would likely mean there is some trash or varnish in the float bowl. But, of course, there is a possibility that a fuel or vacuum line is leaking or has become disconnected. See, the fuel tap, also called the petcock, when it's set on "RUN" or "ON" only flows fuel when the motor is supplying vacuum to it. You may be able to switch it to "PRI" (Prime) and then find where it's leaking from. This way you don't even have to run the motor to get the fuel to flow.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

hammer
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by hammer »

ok, thanks, ill try that, and see if i can spot it.

hammer
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by hammer »

i tried the prime thing, but i couldnt make it leak. Now i cant even get her to start. Tried choke in all positions, and opening the throttle. it was trying when i opened the throttle, but no joy. Brand new battery, clicks and turns nicely. :cry:

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

Turn the fuel off and pull the plugs. Turn the engine over with no plugs installed to flush out the cylinders. Clean and dry the plugs and re-gap 'em. Then install them again and try normal starting procedure.

I agree with Poppy that it sounds like a leaking float needle, possibly intermitantly sealing and leaking.

Sounds like it might be terminal. Better sell that bike to me :wink: I'll give you 2 grand in Canuck Bucks.... :lol:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by poppygene »

Better get 'er to a mechanic unless you're really handy, Hammer. Buzz is right - I'd say the plugs are fouled now and no doubt the carburetors need going through.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

hammer
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by hammer »

righto, mechanic it is then. Ill let you know thw outcome.