totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: any avid shooters here? (guns)

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I'll be looking at buying a gun here in Texas for target/range shooting. Something like a 22 or such.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#12 Unread post by Wrider »

Lord knows there's plenty of .22s to choose from! Mossberg, Ruger, Marlin are all big names in little .22s.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#13 Unread post by fireguzzi »

My favorite .22 right now is my dads ruger MKIII hunter. That is the nicest pistol I have ever shot. If you want a fun accurate pistol right out of the box that is it. There is a little bit of travel in the trigger before it breaks but when it breaks it is smooth as glass. Love it. And like the 10/22 there are a lot of aftermarket parts available.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#14 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I'm always amazed when I go to the states and walk into the gander mountain or Diks sporting goods and see the gun section. I never saw actual automatic weapons (or at least they look like them) and case of handguns before. Lol. I love the gun shop ib my town bit it isn't even close. Lol. Ben of the owner has a WWII anti aircraft machine gun set up in the store. Lol.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

There seems to be a lot of little gun stores here in Houston, TX so finding one shouldn't be an issue. I just have to visit a gun range to find out what type of license (if any) I need for a rifle. I'm thinking you don't need one in Texas, but can that be true?

I really like the .303 bolt-action and 7.62mm FNC1A1 I shot in the Army, but looking on Bass Pro Shops site, ammo for a .303 is a little over $1.50 a round... ouch

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#16 Unread post by fireguzzi »

In Ga all you have to do is pass a background check. I believe Texas is the same. I believe... If you want to carry a firearm in public, concealed or not, you have to get a state firearms license. But if you are on your own property or in your car you can carry concealed or not all you want to without one. The state license will also make you able to skip the background check. Again, Texas is most likely very similar. But as for long guns all ya need is to pass the background check. Obviously one would check on that to make sure.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#17 Unread post by Wrider »

1. No licenses needed for rifles in TX. You don't need any licenses to own long guns (rifles and shotguns) or handguns. The only reasons you'll need a license involving guns down there is if you plan on carrying concealed, you plan on hunting with it, or you plan on getting something fully automatic. (That's a Federal thing, very expensive, lots of background checks, and fully auto weapons are very expensive.) Oh and handgun wise you are no longer limited to something with a 4.2 inch (105 mm) or longer barrel like you were in Canada.

Like FG said, you do need to pass a background check, which is complicated by the fact you're not citizens (I'll check the requirements, but I think you have to be in the country for 6 months before you can buy one), but overall, no felonies, and no violent/domestic abuse misdemeanors and you're fine.

Oh FG, you can skip the background check if you have a CCW in GA? CO they don't allow that, it's every firearm sale, bar none.

FWIW as far as I know, the only states that require you to have a license for long guns are in the Northeast part of the country.

2. .303 is the old British round from WWI and WWII, and typically not a very popular round over here in the States, so yeah it's pretty expensive to find. If you think that's bad though, look up some .50 BMG haha ($3 per round is the cheapest I've ever seen it). The 7.62 is also a fairly large round (.308 equivalent). If you're looking for something that's cheap to shoot, you can't beat a .22. Plus it's accurate and if you decide to take up hunting, it's a good small game gun.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Thanks guys for the information! It would be good to get back into range shooting again, although, I wasn't the best at it in my platoon but it was fun. :D

Other than a .22, what would be the next larger caliber that's inexpensive on ammo?

Mike

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by Wrider »

.223 is still relatively cheap. Any bigger than that and you're entering $.75 per shot range. My .270 is around 20 rounds for 19 bucks. And trust me you dont want to shoot it all day!

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#20 Unread post by VermilionX »

Haha

I thought bout buying a mosin nagant. The ammo for it is also expensive..bout 1$ per shot

But i did find a online store that sells bulgarian surplus ammo. Bout. 18cents/shot. They just said that it's corrosive and you should clean your gun same day.

Actually... i might still do this later since mosin nagants are cheap anyway.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer