JVRR
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

Re: Which language you like most?

#21 Unread post by JVRR »

American English, which is ridiculously different than British English. I spent a little over a month in Russia, and I think with my limited Russian I had an easier time understanding Russian than everyone speaking British English :D (I was one of only two Americans, everyone else spoke foreigner's English, which tends to be heavily British :D).

I'm sorry, I'll never do anything at the weekend! :D

So anyway, English, a little Russian, and I surprised myself occasionally with my Spanish, purely on a listening capacity (no more speaky!).
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#22 Unread post by sunshine229 »

JVRR wrote:American English, which is ridiculously different than British English. I spent a little over a month in Russia, and I think with my limited Russian I had an easier time understanding Russian than everyone speaking British English :D (I was one of only two Americans, everyone else spoke foreigner's English, which tends to be heavily British :D).

I'm sorry, I'll never do anything at the weekend! :D

So anyway, English, a little Russian, and I surprised myself occasionally with my Spanish, purely on a listening capacity (no more speaky!).
Yeah, British English is definitely different than North American!

In our travels we've learned that foreigners who meet English speaking people cannot easily understand a Brit's English vs. North American English. I've had to "translate" British into North American a few times... :laughing:

But, as I've said before, it all "swings in roundabouts"!

(How's that one for ya?)
Andrea :sun:

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#23 Unread post by Kingshead »

Orkian, nanu nanu

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#24 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#25 Unread post by Kingshead »

badinfluence63 wrote:私は困難なlanquagesが非常に好きである
That's good John. You get my message on posting?

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#26 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#27 Unread post by JVRR »

sunshine229 wrote: Yeah, British English is definitely different than North American!

In our travels we've learned that foreigners who meet English speaking people cannot easily understand a Brit's English vs. North American English. I've had to "translate" British into North American a few times... :laughing:

But, as I've said before, it all "swings in roundabouts"!

(How's that one for ya?)
No idea what that one means :lol:. It was real funny getting my first in-depth introduction to British English (not counting 20 hours in London) while training to be an English teacher, getting trained in a Cambridge program by a native Brit and native Rus (as with all foreigners some sort of amalgamation of mostly British with a little American lol).

The two that stick with me the most are "at the weekend," and in London the use of "schemes," in America you would never use "schemes" with a positive connotation!
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#28 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Definately have a lot of strange "Queens English" here in the UK. I find (from a Canadian perspective) that we Canadians seem to use a combination of American and British English with Canadian mixed in. Some words here in the UK are pronounced like American's do others like Canadians do and others are just strangely pronounced. Like: Bottle, is said in the UK: BoTT-el rather than: Bodtle

I used the term "You snooze you lose" on Friday with a group of UK'ers and they never heard that before... haha.

For language you like most? I like the sound of harder languages like Russian and German, they sound like you are making a point when you talk.

Language you like least? Chinese and Japanese asian type. So complex and it sounds like a run-on sentance and they are just angry/shouting at each other.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#29 Unread post by sv-wolf »

sunshine229 wrote: But, as I've said before, it all "swings in roundabouts"!

(How's that one for ya?)
Blimey, that's a bit puzzling, Sunshine. I think what you have actually heard Brits saying is: "its all swings and roundabouts." (Kinda makes your point, doesn't it?)

Yep, British English is different from North American English.

But hey, we all spell it equally badly! We have something in common after all.

Forget the queen's English, hev yee tried te get yer heed roond Geordie or Brummie or Scouse yet? Try this for Geordie:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sound ... and/byker/

or this for Dorset:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sound ... portesham/
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#30 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

hmm, kinda strange reading all these postings... because my first thought is non-verbal, non-written language...

I find the subtleties (and not so subtle things) with the actions and gestures of body language, are definitely the most interesting language of all... they often betray or emphasize peoples "other half". I often see a balanced personality, or imbalances in various things; controlled actions, true intentions, etc.. and these sometimes subconcious actions require a different way of communicating in return. There are all sorts of neat clues to the depth and personality of people, and unfortunately this communication is missing from forums.

It's like adding a music soundtrack to a movie...
Attachments
snoopy-typing.jpg
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)