my rant about stupid magnet ribbons

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

my rant about stupid magnet ribbons

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 pm

I hate thos stupid ribbons. the only thing you "supporting" is the magnetic ribbon manufacturers.

wanna support our troops? send them some body armor instead of putting a sticker on your $55,000 SUV. (or better yet, let them come home before they have to make the trip in wooden boxes!)

what? you support breast cancer research.. the rest of us really didnt want them to find a cure... wow arent you a good person!

and dont say they donate a portion of proffits to an organization because all charitys will take checks directly and 100% of your donation can be used to suport a certain cause.

yes, i have several family members with breast cancer, my best friend is diabetic (and my grandfather died of diabetes related complications), my other grandfather had lung cancer and died, i know people currently serving overseas in the armed forces, and i wish i could "fix" all of this. but stupid magnets arent going to solve any of these problems. save the back of your cage for funny bumperstickers or just write in the dust like "i wish my wife was this dirty" but the magnets/stickers gotta go.

ok...

steps down off soap box
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by 9000white » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:07 pm

i saw one the other day that was intriguing.

New Vegetarian Hot Pockets.for those who dont eat meat but still want diarrhea!!!!
dr bob

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Unread post by liablemtl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:09 pm

I'd recommend NOT buying a "Biker Friendly" sticker for your car then. There are plenty who might think your statement was just as stupid as you think theirs is. :mrgreen:
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Unread post by Ninja Geoff » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:25 pm

It depends where you live. If you live in a high hippie/liberal concentrated area (massachusetts) you see them on all the cars who don't want to be mistaken as a hippie/liberal by those passing through (that or you had a friend/knew someone in the corp who actually did appreciate seeing them around) but out here in central Maine, where things are more conservative/redneck, i see maybe 3 in a day now. And i pump gas (oh joy) so i see a LOT of cars.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Unread post by BuzZz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 pm

I just seen where the Canadian Government is releasing a coin with a breast cancer ribbon(in color, yippie) minted into it. Just to show how friggin' much they(we?) care. My tax dollars at work? Not bloody likely.

Just put some dam money into research and find a cure!!!! Now there's a novel idea. To novel for the politicians, I'm sure.

Keep the bleeding heart, lovey-dovey B.S. to yourselves and actually do something effective instead of yammering on about how much 'we care'....

What a waste of..... well everything, really.... :frusty:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by 9000white » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:06 pm

if the canadian politicians are like ours one of them will insist that a monument to breast cancer research be built on some land he owns that he will let the taxpayers have for twice the price of surrounding property.
dr bob

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:42 pm

I'd recommend NOT buying a "Biker Friendly" sticker for your car then. There are plenty who might think your statement was just as stupid as you think theirs is.
I know i sound liek a whiny baby because someone disagreed with my post, but dont mean to, everyone is entitled to an oppinion, im just trying to clarify:

i resent those magnets because they are saying :"i suport our troops" when really most of them have done nothing to suport our troops (they probably voted for Bush :cry:) other than buy the damn magnet. a bike-friendly sticker would let other know you (A) probably ride a motorcycle [hey cool we have the same hobby] (B) are more likely to be on the lookout for bikes as you know they are all around. if you had ribbon that said "suport our bikers" then i would think thats dumb but "bike friendly" is a-okay by me.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by MrGompers » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:04 pm

It would be ironic if someone had a sticker "look out for motorcycles" then actually tagged someone on a bike.

They should do something about breast cancer tho I love boobies.

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha sr250

Unread post by NorthernPete » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:19 pm

MrGompers wrote:They should do something about breast cancer tho I love boobies.
Here here....
1982 sr250

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Sev » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:20 pm

HandsomeRyan wrote:resent those magnets because they are saying :"i suport our troops" when really most of them have done nothing to suport our troops
support has more then one meaning, which is to say, that it is possible that they offer moral support and hope the troops will make it home safely, which is also a form aof support, rather then doing something like donating money.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

zarakand
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

Unread post by zarakand » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:26 am

BuzZz wrote:I just seen where the Canadian Government is releasing a coin with a breast cancer ribbon(in color, yippie) minted into it. Just to show how friggin' much they(we?) care. My tax dollars at work? Not bloody likely.

Just put some dam money into research and find a cure!!!! Now there's a novel idea. To novel for the politicians, I'm sure.

Keep the bleeding heart, lovey-dovey B.S. to yourselves and actually do something effective instead of yammering on about how much 'we care'....

What a waste of..... well everything, really.... :frusty:
LoL you think that's bad...Chicago is opening up a new EL line that ties parts of the south side with the loop, guess what this one's color is? Pink to help raise awareness...yeesh. :roll: I'm all for increasing taxes to pay for education and reform in education so we can have "smarter" citiziens to help find cures, but I don't think these efforts work as well long term.
Honda Shadow Aero
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10329/]Chicago Bike Blog[/url]

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

Unread post by Shiv » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Just put some dam money into research and find a cure!!!!
It'll never happen. As we all know, they don't want a cure.

There's no money in teh cure. It's a one time thing. If you can keep the person coming back for multiple prescriptions and chemotherapy and x-rays etc and so forth then you got money. If you cure them, you lose all that.

There's no money in the cure. Only the treatment.

Oh and the marketting of those little ribbons.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

BuzZz

Unread post by BuzZz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:25 am

I fear you are all too correct, Shiv....

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Unread post by Wizzard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:15 am

Guess what ? I sport one a dem pink ribbons on the front of the Magic Bus for the simple reason that my wife was cured of not one , but two types of cancer . Unfortunately they did not have the colored ribbons for her type of cancer . It , in my opinion , is simply a matter of raising awareness . Nothing more and nothing less .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

Unread post by Mintbread » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:23 am

Prostate cancer kills as many men as breast cancer kills women. But do you see pretty ribbons etc for them? Of course not. Womens health is infinitely more marketable than mens.

Secondly, survival rates for breast cancer are very high these days as opposed to other forms of cancer (I have lost my cousin and grandmother to non-Hodgkins lymphoma, my grandfather to lung cancer and my wife has lost her mother and grandmother to ovarian cancer).

Breast cancer "awareness" must rake in the $ so why stop now?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

zarakand
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

Unread post by zarakand » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:56 am

Mintbread wrote:Prostate cancer kills as many men as breast cancer kills women. But do you see pretty ribbons etc for them? Of course not. Womens health is infinitely more marketable than mens.

Secondly, survival rates for breast cancer are very high these days as opposed to other forms of cancer (I have lost my cousin and grandmother to non-Hodgkins lymphoma, my grandfather to lung cancer and my wife has lost her mother and grandmother to ovarian cancer).

I think one of the big problems we have on going on these assumptions is the lack of financial statements to really break down where the money goes. I'm sure they're a matter of public record.
Honda Shadow Aero
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10329/]Chicago Bike Blog[/url]

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 am

support has more then one meaning, which is to say, that it is possible that they offer moral support and hope the troops will make it home safely, which is also a form of support, rather then doing something like donating money.
Thats true.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 1983 Honda CB250N superdream,

Unread post by Kal » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:32 am

Mintbread wrote:Prostate cancer kills as many men as breast cancer kills women. But do you see pretty ribbons etc for them? Of course not. Womens health is infinitely more marketable than mens.

You don't hear about it much, but men get breast cancer too...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Unread post by BigChickenStrips » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:52 pm

but no one has love for the man-boobies so it doesnt make the news.

BuzZz

Unread post by BuzZz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:00 pm

HandsomeRyan wrote:but no one has love for the man-boobies so it doesnt make the news.
Unless they are your own man-boobies. :wink:

I once heard that the rate of breast cancer in men is higher than in women, but I have no idea if that's true or not.