Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Honda Riders All Set for Qatar and MotoGP 2016

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

$Honda $Riders All Set for Qatar and $MotoGP #2016

The waiting is finally over, as Honda’s MotoGP riders gather in the desert for Sunday night’s season-opening Qatar Grand Prix, staged under the floodlights at the Losail International Circuit.

This year’s MotoGP championship is motorcycling’s 68th season of Grand Prix racing, the inaugural 1949 campaign getting underway one year before the first Formula 1 car World Championship.

Each new MotoGP season is eagerly anticipated by hundreds of millions of fans, but this year more than usual, thanks to a raft of new technical regulations that make the action even more difficult to predict.

The new rules introduce same-for-all technical regulations after several years of a two-tier championship, plus control rider aids and a change of tires, from Bridgestone to Michelin. The concept behind the first two changes is to reduce costs and make the racing even closer.

The move to control electronics and Michelin tires certainly makes the bikes different to ride, with riders working hard throughout winter testing to adapt their riding technique, while engineers focus on adjusting machine balance.

Factory Honda Racing Corporation riders Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda RC213V) and Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda RC213V) have hardly stopped testing and traveling since the first of MotoGP’s three preseason test sessions commenced at Sepang, Malaysia, on February 1.

Four-time World Champion Marquez was fifth fastest at Sepang, second at Phillip Island, Australia, and fourth at Losail earlier this month. Like many of his rivals, the 23-year-old sometimes found it challenging to master such a comprehensive overhaul of the technical regulations, but he looks forward to the opening race with some confidence, following a positive end to the final tests.

Marquez has twice tasted glory in Qatar. He took MotoGP victory in 2014 after a thrilling contest with Valentino Rossi (Yamaha), the first of a remarkable ten consecutive race wins that season. Two years earlier the Spaniard won the Moto2 race from Andrea Iannone by just six hundredths of a second. Third overall in MotoGP last year after winning the championship in 2013 and 2014, Marquez is determined to regain the crown this season.

Pedrosa has had some more challenging outings preparing for his 11th season with the Repsol Honda squad. The former 125 and 250 World Champion was 11th at Sepang, seventh at Phillip Island and tenth at Losail. As the smallest rider on the grid, machine set-up is often tricky for Pedrosa, so in some ways it’s no surprise that he has lagged behind his team-mate. But the racing doesn’t start until Sunday and Pedrosa is upbeat about his chances, with HRC working hard to give him the motorcycle he needs to compete at the front.

The 30-year-old has yet to win a race in Qatar but he has come close on five occasions, with a best of second place in 2012, as well as third-place finishes in 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2014.

This year Honda supports three satellite-team riders on RCV machinery. Briton Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda RC213V) is the most experienced MotoGP rider of the trio and is looking forward to his second season on an RCV after showing some great pace in preseason testing. The former World Supersport champion was sixth at Sepang, third at Phillip Island and seventh at Losail. Last year Crutchlow finished seventh at Losail in his debut outing on his RCV.

MotoGP’s newest two-rider team comprises former Moto2 World Champion Tito Rabat (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS Honda RC213V) and Moto3 race winner Jack Miller (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS Honda RC213V). The pair ride for the Belgian-based Marc VDS outfit and have high hopes for the new season.

Rabat is MotoGP’s only rookie of 2016; he graduates to the premier class after five years in Moto2, during which he won 13 GPs and took the 2014 world title. The Spaniard has had plenty to learn during winter testing and knows he still has plenty more to learn, so his initial target is top-ten results.

Miller moved up to MotoGP last season, making the jump directly from Moto3, instead of taking the usual route through Moto2. The youngster had some promising results and made a few mistakes. Despite suffering a leg injury during winter motocross training, the Australian is confident he will be close to full strength for the first races of 2016 and then he will build his pace from there.

Last year Rabat became the first winner of the Honda-powered Moto2 championship to stay in the class and defend his crown. Some suspension issues hurt his title defense and the season was dominated by Johann Zarco (Ajo Motorsport Kalex), who has also decided to remain in Moto2 so he can try to become the first back-to-back champion in the class.

Zarco knows he won’t have an easy time trying to pursue his ambition in a category renowned for close, action-packed racing. The Frenchman and his rivals only completed their preseason testing last weekend, making their final preparations under the Losail floodlights. Zarco was eighth quickest in the session, behind fastest man Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 Kalex) who has shown throughout preseason testing that he will make a strong bid for the title, following a switch to the Kalex chassis preferred by most Moto2 riders.

Lowes finished the Losail outing just two tenths in front of Swiss ace Thomas Luthi (Garage Plus Interwetten Kalex), who is set to race his ninth season in the intermediate category. Third was last year’s Qatar winner Jonas Folger (Dynavolt Intact GP Kalex), with the top ten completed by Alex Rins (Paginas Amarillas HP 40 Kalex), Lorenzo Baldassarri (Forward Team Kalex), Takaaki Nakagami (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia Kalex), Sandro Cortese (Dynavolt Intact GP Kalex), Zarco, Alex Marquez (Estrella Galicia 0.0 Marc VDS Kalex) and Franco Morbidelli (Estrella Galicia 0.0 Marc VDS Kalex).

Honda riders dominated the final Moto3 test at Losail last weekend, with the fastest two and three out of the top four aboard on NSF250RW machines. Quickest of all was 20-year-old Niccolo Antonelli (Ongetta-Rivacold Honda NSF250RW) who looks to be recovered from the broken collarbone that had hampered some of his earlier preseason efforts.

Belgian teenager Livio Loi (RW Racing GP Honda NSF250RW) was second, ahead of Fabio Quartararo (KTM) and Jorge Navarro (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda NSF250RW). Also in the top ten were Aron Canet (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda NSF250RW) and Enea Bastianini (Gresini Racing Moto3 Honda NSF250RW).

The Qatar GP is the first of an 18-round series that concludes at Valencia, Spain, on November 13. All other GP events are spread over three days but Qatar runs over four evenings, from Thursday to Sunday, due to the narrow four-hour window between sundown and 10pm, when dew settles on the track, reducing grip.

Losail joined the MotoGP calendar in 2004 and has run at night-time since 2008. The circuit is lit by a 5.4 million watt lighting system, the biggest of its kind, enough to illuminate 70 FIFA football pitches. Losail was constructed in 2004 to bring MotoGP to the Middle East for the first time. The track is a sinuous test for man and machine, with the layout made up of corners inspired by famous corners at other racetracks around the world. Corner speed and machine agility are vitally important at Losail with only one straight worthy of the name – the 1.068km/0.664 mile start-finish, which demands plenty of horsepower.

Honda MotoGP rider quotes

Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team:
“The season is finally about to start, and I’m looking forward to it. When we came to Qatar two weeks ago we did a big step forward with the set-up at the very end of the test, and I really felt at ease with the bike, especially in my last run that was quite late in the evening, with the dew already starting to form. That’s positive in view of the race, even if we’re not yet where we’d like to be and still have a margin for improvement with the set-up. The Losail layout may not be the most favorable of the season for our bike, but in the past we’ve scored a podium and a win here with the RC213V, so we’ll fight to get the best result on Sunday. This year there are a few variables that aren’t yet completely predictable, such as tire wear over race distance, for example, and the bike’s behavior with the new electronics. Still, Honda never cease to work hard, as is the case for me and the whole team, so I’m positive and looking forward to the action starting!”

Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda Team:
“I’m going to Qatar with a positive attitude, even if the test we did there wasn’t completely satisfactory. We’ve made some progress with the electronics, but we have to improve further with the chassis set-up and make the tires work better. I expect things to go a little better for us this week compared to the test. We’re probably not yet where we’d like to be, but it’s important to remain positive, especially because with the many changes that have been introduced this year, I expect a greater balance among the performances of the riders compared to the past, at least in the beginning. Losail isn’t among my favorite tracks, but I’ve got five podium finishes here so we must stay focused, work to improve our bike setup and be ready to get the most from what we have and from the situation.”

Cal Crutchlow, LCR Honda:
“Our final tests in Qatar didn’t go so bad. We were a bit stuck for a while but the team worked really well together during the three days and we started to find our way a little more. The previous test in Phillip Island went pretty well; we were pleasantly surprised with the package, the Michelin tires and the new electronics, so all in all we are ready for the first race and I’m really looking forward to getting going and starting the new season.”

Tito Rabat, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS:
“The last day of the Qatar test wasn’t a good one for us; too many crashes and a lack of confidence with the bike. Since then we’ve spent some time looking through the data and we think we’ve identified some areas in which we can improve the bike, which is positive for us. In myself I feel strong, ready to start the season and confident I can accelerate the learning process with more riders on track during the practice and qualifying sessions. My goal for this first weekend is to improve with every session and then give it my best shot in the race on Sunday.”

Jack Miller, Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS :
“We’ve had some time to go through the data from the Qatar test and we know where we need to improve the bike when we head back for the first race of the season. Since the test I’ve also had more time to work on my injured ankle and I have much more mobility in the joint now, which will definitely help this weekend. I’m feeling really good after a solid week of training and I’m looking forward to getting the new season started.”

Moto2 rider quotes

Johann Zarco, Ajo Motorsport:
“I am really looking forward to another season in Moto2 because this year will be very different for me. I think we are well prepared for the first race, even though it may be more difficult to retain the title, because when you win your first championship you want it badly, but once you have it you think about doing things differently. Being champion again is a motivation, because if I do it then I will be stronger in the future, and that future is in MotoGP. It is an exciting challenge to continue racing in Moto2 and try to be the top rider in the class once again.”

Sam Lowes, Federal Oil Gresini Moto2:
“I’m really proud of my team and our partners Öhlins and Kalex: we have done a great job, not only at the last Qatar test, but also in Jerez, where we tested many parts. I’m feeling good and I’m ready for the first race weekend: we have shown good pace so far and we will keep working during free practice at the GP to improve further. I can’t wait to start the season!”

Jonas Folger, Dynavolt Intact GP:
“I am very, very happy with my consistently strong performance during the Qatar test, and also with the great job we have made as a team. I was very fast in each session. This shows that our package is already on a very high level. Of course it would be nice to finish the last test as fastest ahead of the season opener, but our focus was mainly on our consistency. In this regard, we have really done a good job! This is the crucial factor in order to start the championship with confidence. I hope we will continue working like this during the first Grand Prix here this weekend.”

Honda Moto3 rider quotes

Niccolo Antonelli, Ongetta-Rivacold:
“We are all looking forward to racing once again after the winter and all he preseason testing. We were quick in the final tests after we went back to the set-up that we had used on the first day. The speed is important, but even more important is to have found a good feeling with the bike which we can work on further. I feel comfortable on the bike and of course I fully understand that what happens on Sunday is what counts.”

Livio Loi, RW Racing GP:
“I have never before felt so strong. During the last tests I set my fastest laps all on my own, without being bothered by anyone. Knowing that I can do it by myself gives me a lot of faith. I feel very confident for this weekend’s Grand Prix. I’m proud of the team and the team is proud of me. The pace is there, the rhythm is there, the feeling is great.”

Jorge Navarro, Estrella Galicia 0,0:
“I think we have a very good base coming into the first Grand Prix of the season in Qatar, because we have had a very good preseason. We were strong and amongst the top riders in Valencia, Jerez and Qatar, but I think the most important thing that we can take away from testing is that we have gathered all the data we wanted and we have drawn good conclusions from our work plan. That means we have both improved my riding style and also found a good setup to make the bike more effective. I ran a very good pace riding alone on the last day of the test here in Qatar, so I am facing the first round of the season eager and very motivated."
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.