Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Smith and CBR third fastest under Losail lights

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Smith and @CBR third fastest under @Losail lights

Kyle Smith set the third fastest time in this evening’s second free practice session for a provisional front row start in Sunday’s final World Supersport championship race of the season at Losail in Qatar.

With temperatures over 30ºC, the 24-year-old British rider left it until his final lap in the dying moments of the 45-minute session to fire his Honda CBR600RR around the 5.380km Losail circuit in a time of 2m02.837s, just a tenth of a second off the provisional pole position time of Lucas Mahias.

Smith has raced under the Losail lights once before during a spell in Moto2 but admitted to not remembering much about the fast-flowing track. He is confident of further improvement in tomorrow’s free practice and qualifying sessions as he aims for his third podium of the 2015 season on Sunday night.

Kyle Smith - P3 2m02.837s

The heat’s not too bad because the sun’s not beating down but you definitely get a sweat on here, where it’s really muggy, but I’m feeling pretty fit. I wanted to do two or three laps on the new tyre at the end but we ran out of time as we were trying to change a few things on set up prior to the new tyre going in. I knew the lap time would drop and the changes made the CBR a lot more comfortable. It’s a shame it didn’t get a second lap on the new tyre because I felt I could have pushed a little harder. I’m very happy for the first day here because, even though I’ve been here before, in the first session I couldn’t remember a thing about the track. It was like a brand new circuit tonight!

Weather
Night Race

Air
30°C

Track
34°C

Humidity
76%

Free Practice Results

1 Lucas Mahias 2m02.642s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
2 Kenan Sofuoglu 2m02.775s TUR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Puccetti Racing
3 Kyle Smith 2m02.837s GBR HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
4 Patrick Jacobson 2m02.984s USA HONDA CORE Motorsport Thailand
5 Nicolas Terol 2m03.036s ESP MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
6 Gino Rea 2m03.111s GBR HONDA CIA Landlords Insurance Honda
7 Marco Faccani 2m03.470s ITA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Puccetti Racing
8 Kevin Wahr 2m03.612s GER HONDA SMS Racing
9 Roberto Rolfo 2m03.693s ITA HONDA Team Lorini
10 Lorenzo Zanetti 2m03.852s ITA MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.