Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Guintoli Podium Tops Fine Day in France for Pata Honda

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Guintoli Podium Tops Fine Day in #France for @Pata @Honda

Sylvain Guintoli scored his first podium of the 2016 season today, taking his Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP to third place in the first of two 12th round World Superbike championship races at Magny-Cours in France.

Michael van der Mark, Sylvain GuintolizoomMichael van der Mark, Sylvain Guintoli Sylvain GuintolizoomSylvain Guintoli
His Pata Honda team-mate, Michael van der Mark, also put in two stunning performances, starting from 15th place on the grid and taking fourth place in each of today’s races, both of which were won by Jonathan Rea.

Guintoli was relishing the prospect of a wet race after yesterday’s rain failed to dry overnight and he was duly rewarded with a damp 4.411km track this morning. Starting from fifth place on the grid, the 33-year-old delighted the partisan crowd with a good start and kept in touch with the leaders, passing Chaz Davies for third and never looking back.

The French rider was not so confident with his dry set-up but those were the conditions as race two began. After another strong start, Guintoli settled into a relatively lonely sixth place and brought his CBR home for a solid points haul.

Van der Mark endured a difficult qualifying session yesterday at Magny-Cours and ended up on the outside of the fifth row of the grid. However, superb starts in both races allowed him to get close to the leading riders in both wet and dry conditions.

In race two particularly, the 22-year-old Dutch ace showed impressive pace by riding around the outside of Leon Haslam on to the back straight at Magny-Cours. Van der Mark’s times in the closing laps of the race matched those of the podium finishers and he takes renewed confidence into the final round of the season at Losail in Qatar in two weeks.

Honda Rider Comments
Sylvain Guintoli (Pata Honda World Superbike Team)
Race result: 3rd / 6th“It was good to grab the opportunity with the wet conditions in race one and bring home the first podium of the season. Race two was dry but it was OK – P6 was not too bad, and I would definitely have taken that yesterday morning. We made a few changes from the last dry session in FP4 yesterday to improve the pace and we used the SC0 tire. I thought the other tire would drop in performance but the guys in front seemed to be on that one. The important thing was that it was two solid races. To be on the podium at home was what I really wanted to do, so it’s been a good performance from the whole team. Now we’re looking forward to the final round in Qatar to finish the season on a high.”Michael van der Mark (Pata Honda World Superbike Team)
Race result: 4th / 4th“It’s been an awesome day because we’ve had some problems all weekend, not only on Friday and Saturday but also in Superpole yesterday. I wasn’t really happy and then the warm-up was wet this morning. It was OK though, and I had such a good start to race one. I took a lot of risks but the bike felt really good, even though I missed a bit of acceleration. I was really happy with fourth and happy for Sylvain to be on the podium because he also worked really hard. For race two we changed some settings on the front for the dry and it worked perfectly. I got a really good start again and fought my way round the outside and ended up in a nice battle with Sylvain. There was a gap to Leon [Haslam] and I had to make a bit of a move to get by him. Our bike is not quite as fast as his and I had to make so much speed going on to the back straight that I had no choice really. I was not really sure about making the move but I was quite happy with how it worked out! Then I saw the pace of Sykes in third was dropping a little so I kept pushing in case it dropped more. But I’m really happy with another fourth place and want to thank the guys in my crew who did a fantastic job today.”Pieter Breddels (Pata Honda World Superbike Team)“The conditions were strange today with a wet race and a dry race, but we know that Sylvain is strong in the wet. We’re very happy to finally get a podium with him at his home race, and it’s great for his team, too. Michael started from 15th on the grid and got a good start in race one. He caught Sylvain but then had a little problem and had to slow the pace a bit. He raced really well in race two and passed Haslam to secure another fourth with a fantastic maneuver and then was matching the lap times of the race winner, so well done to Mikey and his team.”
Michael van der MarkzoomMichael van der Mark Michael van der MarkzoomMichael van der Mark
Victory for Jacobsen And Honda After Tricky Raceday In France

PJ Jacobsen (Core” Motorsport Thailand Honda) left Magny-Cours with his second race victory of the season, having mastered what was a difficult day of racing for all the competitors at the penultimate round of the championship.

The race was eventually held over 11-laps, after the first attempted running was halted by a red flag brought out by an oil spill on the track at the Adelaide hairpin. The 4.411km circuit had not dried out after overnight rain, and was slow to dry, leaving tricky conditions for all in both the first and then the ‘real’ second race.

Despite winning the race and having been on the podium every time he has ridden for his Core” Motorsport Thailand Honda team Jacobsen lost his slender chance of the title itself as Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki) finished second and took the title. Sofuoglu has 213 points to Jacobsen’s 185, a differential of 28 with only 25 points available for the final race win in Qatar, two weeks from now. Jacobsen is guaranteed second place in the championship rankings.

Kyle Smith (Pata Honda) was the next highest finishing Honda rider in France, going fifth and improving his feel through the short race duration. He was just pipped at the end for fourth place and is sixth in the championship fight.

For the second weekend in succession Kevin Wahr (SMS Racing Honda) put on a strong display, finishing sixth in the race but looking like a podium contender in the first red flagged running.

A very heavy crash from Gino Rea (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda) on Friday broke his right index finger, and heavily bruised his face and shoulders but he gritted his teeth to finish sixth. He survived another slow fall in the process after what has been a tough weekend. He is still the second best placed Honda rider in the championship, in fifth place, six points ahead of Smith.

Roberto Rolfo (Team Lorini Honda) was in 11th place in the Magny-Cours race, but holds onto seventh place overall. He went with an intermediate tire choice on the rear in the second running and lost grip as the track slowly dried out.

Martin Cardenas (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda) hoped for more than eighth place but a small mistake saw dropped from the back of a small group of riders, and he rode to a lonely points scoring finish. He is 11th overall; only four points from a possible top ten.

Australian rider Aiden Wagner (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda) scored points for 13th, his equal best finish of the year.

The last point on offer went to Spanish teenager Xavier Pinsach (Team Lorini Honda). Wild card Janos Chrobak (Schmidt Racing Honda) was 17th, David Juhasz (Schmidt Racing Honda) one place behind and (Glenn Scott (AARK Racing Honda) was 19th. Nacho Calero (Orelac Racing Team Honda) placed 22nd. Kevin Manfredi (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda) had a technical issue and was unable to make the restarted race.

The next round of the championship is the final round, to be held at Losail in Qatar on 18th October.

Honda Rider Comments
PJ Jacobsen (Core” Motorsport Thailand Honda)
Race result: 1st“After the first attempted race I was really bummed because I was the only rider with full dry tires so I think there would have been a huge gap in the first race. In ‘race two’ Kenan was quite aggressive to I had to be aggressive back and we got the win. It was a difficult year in parts but since I got on the Core” Motorsport Thailand Honda the team has been really good and we have been on the podium every time I raced the bike. Consistency really wins the championship and I wish I had been on the bike from the start of the year. It possibly could have been a different outcome.” Kyle Smith (Pata Honda)
Race result: 5th“In the first race the track conditions were not very good – patchy, damp, dry, oil on the track in some parts. It was a bit like a motocross race. The second part was a bit drier but still similar. I enjoy track conditions like that and they usually favor me a lot but the bike felt twitchy under me and I really did not want to crash. I have crashed too much this season. Gino Rea is in front of me in the championship and he did not have the best of results. I wanted to finish the race and hopefully get a top five in the championship, which is better than sixth. It is just a shame that Zanetti passed me at the end. I struggled at the beginning of the restarted race and came strong later but it was only an 11- lap race. I felt the rear was going to come round on me at any time in the early laps and I could not push into corner entries. I did not want to crash.” Kevin Wahr (SMS Racing Honda)
Race result: 6th“Wets were just right at the beginning because Magny-Cours does not dry out quickly. It had not rained all morning, but it was always wet. I decided for a dry rear and an intermediate front, which was not optimal. At the end of the track was dry except for two spots and I struggled with the front tire. The Intermediate is close to the dry tires, but has a different performance. Maybe it would have gone better in the first ‘race’ as I was in a better position but I have to be satisfied with sixth in the second race.” Gino Rea (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda)
Race result: 7th“At the start of the first race I had a wet front and intermediate rear. I’ve never used intermediates before so I was learning them and coming on strong in the battle for third. I could've probably got through that group for third the way I was riding. On the restart I used an intermediate front and dry rear tire. With hindsight I probably should have gone dry/dry. As I got confidence in the front, I was pushed wide by Zanetti on to the oil at Adelaide and lost the front. I managed to get the bike up and myself back to pip Martin Cardenas for seventh. We’ll go to Qatar looking for a strong finish to the year.” Martin Cardenas (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda)
Race result: 8th“It was a race in difficult conditions. The final position was good but I wasn’t very comfortable because of the track conditions. I rode my pace and I was with a group in the beginning but I made a mistake, lost contact, and from then on it was difficult because I was alone for the rest of the race. We finished eighth and that was all we could do today.” Roberto Rolfo (Team Lorini Honda)
Race result: 11th“Not so bad in the beginning of the second start. I used an intermediate tire and it felt very good, so I could overtake other riders. I was in around ninth place and I had a good rhythm so it was possible to be eighth. Even though the race was short there was a drop from the rear tire and I started to slide quite a lot. The riders who were in front were on dry tires. So with so much spin I could not go forward. It was OK, and we got some points.”
Patrick JacobsenzoomPatrick Jacobsen

World Superbike and World Supersport 2015
Round 12: Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours – France

Superbike Race 1

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 J. REA (Kawasaki Racing Team)
2 T. SYKES (Kawasaki Racing Team)
3 S. GUINTOLI (PATA Honda World Superbike)
4 M. VD MARK (PATA Honda World Superbike)
5 L. CAMIER (MV Agusta Reparto Corse)
6 C. DAVIES (Aruba.it Racing-Ducati SBK)

Superbike Race 2

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 J. REA (Kawasaki Racing Team)
2 C. DAVIES (Aruba.it Racing-Ducati SBK Team)
3 T. SYKES (Kawasaki Racing Team)
4 M. VD MARK (PATA Honda World Superbike Team)
5 L. HASLAM (Aprilia Racing Team - Red Devils)
6 S. GUINTOLI (PATA Honda World Superbike Team)

Supersport

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 P. JACOBSEN (CORE'' Motorsport Thailand)
2 K. SOFUOGLU (Kawasaki Puccetti Racing)
3 L. MAHIAS (MG Competition)
4 L. ZANETTI (MV Agusta Reparto Corse)
5 K. SMITH (PATA Honda World Supersport Team)
6 K. WAHR (SMS Racing)
7 G. REA (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda)
8 M. CARDENAS (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda)
11 R. ROLFO (Team Lorini)
13 A. WAGNER (CIA Landlords Insurance Honda)
15 X. PINSACH (Team Lorini)
17 J. CHROBAK (Schmidt Racing)
18 D. JUHASZ (Schmidt Racing)
19 G. SCOTT (AARK Racing)
22 N. CALERO (Orelac Racing Team)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.