Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Guintoli podium tops fine day in France for Pata Honda

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Guintoli podium tops fine day in #France for @Pata @Honda

Sylvain Guintoli scored his first podium of the 2016 season today, taking his Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP to third place in the first of two 12th round World Superbike championship races at Magny-Cours in France.

His Pata Honda team-mate, Michael van der Mark, also put in two stunning performances, starting from 15th place on the grid and taking fourth place in each of today’s races, both of which were won by Jonathan Rea.

Guintoli was relishing the prospect of a wet race after yesterday’s rain failed to dry overnight and he was duly rewarded with a damp 4.411km track this morning. Starting from fifth place on the grid, the 33-year-old delighted the partisan crowd with a good start and kept in touch with the leaders, passing Chaz Davies for third and never looking back.

The French rider was not so confident with his dry set-up but those were the conditions as race two began. After another strong start, Guintoli settled into a relatively lonely sixth place and brought his CBR home for a solid points haul.

Van der Mark endured a difficult qualifying session yesterday at Magny-Cours and ended up on the outside of the fifth row of the grid. However, superb starts in both races allowed him to get close to the leading riders in both wet and dry conditions.

In race two particularly, the 22-year-old Dutch ace showed impressive pace by riding around the outside of Leon Haslam on to the back straight at Magny-Cours. Van der Mark’s times in the closing laps of the race matched those of the podium finishers and he takes renewed confidence into the final round of the season at Losail in Qatar in two weeks.

Sylvain Guintoli - 3rd and 6th

It was good to grab the opportunity with the wet conditions in race one and bring home the first podium of the season. Race two was dry but it was OK – P6 was not too bad, and I would definitely have taken that yesterday morning. We made a few changes from the last dry session in FP4 yesterday to improve the pace and we used the SC0 tyre. I thought the other tyre would drop in performance but the guys in front seemed to be on that one. The important thing was that it was two solid races. To be on the podium at home was what I really wanted to do, so it’s been a good performance from the whole team. Now we’re looking forward to the final round in Qatar to finish the season on a high.

Michael van der Mark - 4th and 4th

It’s been an awesome day because we’ve had some problems all weekend, not only on Friday and Saturday but also in Superpole yesterday. I wasn’t really happy and then the warm-up was wet this morning. It was OK though, and I had such a good start to race one. I took a lot of risks but the bike felt really good, even though I missed a bit of acceleration. I was really happy with fourth and happy for Sylvain to be on the podium because he also worked really hard. For race two we changed some settings on the front for the dry and it worked perfectly. I got a really good start again and fought my way round the outside and ended up in a nice battle with Sylvain. There was a gap to Leon [Haslam] and I had to make a bit of a move to get by him. Our bike is not quite as fast as his and I had to make so much spee d going on to the back straight that I had no choice really. I was not really sure about making the move but I was quite happy with how it worked out! Then I saw the pace of Sykes in third was dropping a little so I kept pushing in case it dropped more. But I’m really happy with another fourth place and want to thank the guys in my crew who did a fantastic job today.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

The conditions were strange today with a wet race and a dry race, but we know that Sylvain is strong in the wet. We’re very happy to finally get a podium with him at his home race, and it’s great for his team, too. Michael started from 15th on the grid and got a good start in race one. He caught Sylvain but then had a little problem and had to slow the pace a bit. He raced really well in race two and passed Haslam to secure another fourth with a fantastic manoeuvre and then was matching the lap times of the race winner, so well done to Mikey and his team.

Weather
Wet

Air
11°C

Track
15°C

Humidity
85%

Race 1 Results

1 Jonathan Rea 36m29.856s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
2 Tom Sykes +4.711s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
3 Sylvain Guintoli +14.683s FRA HONDA Pata Honda World Superbike Team
4 Michael van der Mark +22.772s NED HONDA Pata Honda World Superbike Team
5 Leon Camier +30.136s GBR MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
6 Chaz Davies +31.528s GBR DUCATI Aruba.it Racing-Ducati Superbike Team
7 Matteo Baiocco +32.129s ITA DUCATI Althea Racing
8 Alex Lowes +39.034s GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
9 Leandro Mercado 1m01.396s ARG DUCATI BARNI Racing Team
10 Niccolo Canepa 1m07.845s ITA DUCATI Althea Racing

Weather
Sunny Intervals

Air
14°C

Track
19°C

Humidity
79%

Race 2 Results

1 Jonathan Rea 34m40.147s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
2 Chaz Davies +2.848s GBR DUCATI Aruba.it Racing-Ducati Superbike Team
3 Tom Sykes +6.551s GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
4 Michael van der Mark +10.202s NED HONDA Pata Honda World Superbike Team
5 Leon Haslam +12.921s GBR APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team - Red Devils
6 Sylvain Guintoli +19.885s FRA HONDA Pata Honda World Superbike Team
7 Niccolo Canepa +24.248s ITA DUCATI Althea Racing
8 Jordi Torres +27.248s ESP APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team - Red Devils
9 Luca Scassa +29.220s ITA DUCATI Aruba.it Racing-Ducati Superbike Team
10 Alex Lowes +32.799s GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki

Championship Standings

1 Jonathan Rea 528 pts GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
2 Chaz Davies 383 pts GBR DUCATI Aruba.it Racing-Ducati Superbike Team
3 Tom Sykes 367 pts GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
4 Leon Haslam 297 pts GBR APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team - Red Devils
5 Jordi Torres 222 pts ESP APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team - Red Devils
6 Sylvain Guintoli 201 pts FRA HONDA Pata Honda World Superbike Team
7 Michael van der Mark 170 pts NED HONDA Pata Honda World Superbike Team
8 Matteo Baiocco 139 pts ITA DUCATI Althea Racing
9 Alex Lowes 135 pts GBR SUZUKI Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
10 Leandro Mercado 125 pts ARG DUCATI BARNI Racing Team
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.