Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Gomez ready to battle at Red Bull Sea to Sky

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Gomez ready to battle at @RedBull Sea to Sky

@Husqvarna Motorcycles’ Alfredo Gomez has enjoyed an impressive extreme enduro season in 2015. Recently securing victory at Extreme XL Lagares in Portugal to go with his podium results at Erzberg, Romaniacs and The Tough One, the Bel-Ray Husqvarna Factory Racing rider is on top form.

With just the final Red Bull Hard Enduro of the year remaining, Gomez, who will race alongside team mate and 2014 Sea to Sky winner Graham Jarvis, is eyeing up a strong season finish at the Red Bull Sea to Sky in Turkey…

Firstly, congratulations Alfredo on your win at the Extreme XL Lagares in Portugal!
Alfredo Gomez: “Thanks, it was fantastic to win that race again. I won my first extreme enduro there last year so to do it again has been great. Extreme Lagares is a very technical race so I’m happy to know that my riding is strong leading into Red Bull Sea to Sky.”

Red Bull Sea to Sky marks the final race on the Red Bull Hard Enduro calendar. How important is it for you to get a good result there?
Alfredo Gomez: “My focus is for a top three result at the very least. I’ve been on the podium at Erzberg, Red Bull Romaniacs and The Tough One so it would be great to finish off a strong year with a good result. Unfortunately, Red Bull 111 Megawatt wasn’t my kind of race, but I enjoy racing in Turkey and I feel like I want to prove myself and make up for what happened last year.”

Despite some technical issues last year you delivered one of the strongest rides of the race to claim a top 10 result. Does that give you confidence ahead of this year’s event?
Alfredo Gomez: “Yes, definitely. My race got off to a bad start when I had some problems on the start line. About 40 riders passed me before I even got going so I spent the entire race in traffic. It wasn’t ideal but I dealt with the situation well and kept fighting to the finish. Somehow I managed to pass over 30 riders and still finish about 15 minutes behind third. I feel that with some better luck and a clear track ahead of me I can show what I’m capable of.”

Red Bull Sea to Sky is a unique three-part race. What makes it so special?
Alfredo Gomez: “I really enjoy the technical riding in the Mountain Race. I like the way you are constantly climbing all the time. It makes it quite physical because you must fight your way up a mountain. The higher you get, the more the terrain changes too. You start on the beach and then go into the forest. When you enter the mountain sections it gets much colder and you are surrounded by so many rocks. Having the chequered flag on the summit of the mountain is one of the coolest places to finish a race.”

As a former trials rider, how do you find the crazy Beach Race on day one?
Alfredo Gomez: “The Beach Race is always fun. It’s crazy but I enjoy it even though the motocross format is not my style of racing. There’s plenty of action and the beach is full of spectators – it’s a cool way to start off the event.”

What’s been the highlight of your year so far?
Alfredo Gomez: “Of course my win at Lagares but I’m really happy with how I rode at Erzberg. It was great to share the win there but I also proved that my speed was good too. I crashed on the first hill after the start and lost so many places. But my riding from there until Carl’s Dinner was strong. I came from a long way back to catch up to Graham Jarvis and Jonny Walker. I passed Andreas Lettenbichler just before Carl’s Dinner and managed to pull 15 minutes on him on that section alone.”

Finally, what would it mean to end your extreme enduro season with a strong result at Sea to Sky?
Alfredo Gomez: “Winning is the goal, it’s what we all work towards. Everyone wants to win the final race of the season. I believe that if everything comes together then I can do it. Like I said, my riding is great right now and that gives me a lot of confidence. I’ll give it everything I have to put my Husqvarna on the top step of the podium.”

The Red Bull Sea to Sky takes place in Kemer, Turkey from October 2-4
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.