Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Febvre marks a milestone with FIM World Championship success at Assen

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Febvre marks a milestone with #FIM World Championship success at @Assen

The Grand Prix of the Netherlands and round sixteen of eighteen in MXGP at Assen will live long in the memory for Romain Febvre and Yamaha Factory Racing Yamalube. Second position overall meant an eleventh consecutive podium and confirmed the 23 year old Frenchman's first MXGP FIM Motocross World Championship and the first for Yamaha since 2009 in the premier class.
A huge amount of work and sand had been poured into the renowned road racing facility in less than a week to construct a short, narrow and extremely rough layout. The hard base of the track meant it was difficult to judge at times.
On Saturday it was Jeremy Van Horebeek who was on the gas. The Belgian was quick through Free practice and even a heavy crash in Timed Practice could not shake his rhythm or confidence. He drilled his YZ450FM to second place in the Qualification Heat and was set for Sunday's two thirty minute and two lap motos. Febvre rued a bad start in the sprint but was happy with his riding and speed to pull through to fourth.
The big day dawned sunny and warm and with 37,000 spectators (weekend figure) finding a spot in the enormous grandstand that lines the western section of the course and lining almost all one side of the motocross layout.
In the first race neither Febvre nor Van Horebeek could head the field around the opening corner. Febvre went on the attack but found a large 'obstacle' in the form of home favourite Glenn Coldenhoff. Both riders overtook Max Nagl but Febvre could not relegate the Dutchman and crossed the line in fifth with title rival Gautier Paulin finishing second. Van Horebeek had a tougher time coming through the pack and eventually worked from eleventh on the first lap to finish seventh.
Febvre had to finish in front of Paulin to finish the series with two rounds to spare in the second moto. A much better start into second position and then a chase to catch breakaway leader Evgeny Bobryshev saw '461' at the front and in control. Paulin was buried in the top ten and could only come through to fourth. Febvre started celebrations after crossing the line for his twelfth chequered flag by virtue of his new gap in the standings of 102 points with just 100 left to win in 2015. Jeremy was pushing eventual overall winner Shaun Simpson for third place at one stage but two small falls dropped him down to another seventh position where he finished the day in the overall standing.
With the MXGP competition for the No.1 plate now over Febvre can ease through the remaining Grands Prix this year. Van Horebeek is seventh and twenty points behind Max Nagl. DP19 Yamaha Racing's David Philippaerts attempted to compete in Holland but was still not fully fit after his left arm injury, aggravated last weekend at Mantova.
MXGP now has two more stops and will fly over the Atlantic to tackle the hard-pack of Leon in Mexico and then the loamy hills of Glen Helen in California to bring the eighteen rounds of the 2015 campaign to a close.

Romain Febvre

5th and 1st for 2nd overall. Championship Position: World Champion

"I started slowly on Saturday and showed good speed in qualifying already. I knew with some good starts I could be on the podium again and that was the goal. I knew also if I finished in front of [Gautier] Paulin then the championship would be done. It didn't happen in the first moto but my start was a lot better in the second and I could pass everybody to win…and the 2015 world championship! I cannot thank everybody enough. The team did such a good job and gave me a chance last winter…I'm so happy."

Jeremy Van Horebeek

7th and 7th for 7th overall. Championship Position: 7th

"First of all I'm happy for this team. We've had success for two years; with me last year and now Romain. This season was bad for me but it doesn't matter. Everybody has it at some stage. Today was so-so. In the first moto I was not good at all and the second was better. I was fighting with Shaun for third and I felt smooth on the bike but then the berm washed away around the back of the track and I slid away. I picked up the bike and lost energy trying to find my rhythm, I then went down again. I was seventh and catching Nagl and Paulin but didn't have any more to give. On tracks like this it was hard with my back injury and the pain in the muscles but that is not an excuse. I'm just happy for this team. It is a wonderful day for them."

2015 MXGP Netherlands

Assen MXGP 30/08/2015

race I
1 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 34'06.986
2 Gautier Paulin Honda FRA 0'07.820
3 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 0'17.408
4 Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NLD 0'21.124
5 Romain Febvre
Yamaha
FRA 0'27.726
6 Maximilian Nagl Husqvarna DE 0'33.041
7 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'50.954
8 Dean Ferris Husqvarna AUS 0'56.817
9 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'04.682
10 Tyla Rattray Kawasaki ZAF 1'27.079
11 Filip Bengtsson Honda SWE 1'30.722
12 Nathan Watson Husqvarna GBR 1'32.619
13 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'35.252
14 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 1'36.739
15 Jeffrey DeWulf Yamaha BEL -1Laps
race II
1 Romain Febvre
Yamaha
FRA 33'54.650
2 Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NLD 0'08.684
3 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'15.773
4 Gautier Paulin Honda FRA 0'20.569
5 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 0'24.983
6 Maximilian Nagl Husqvarna DE 0'26.774
7 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'41.941
8 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 1'21.248
9 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'25.816
10 Jeffrey DeWulf Yamaha BEL 1'30.051
11 Dean Ferris Husqvarna AUS 1'35.858
12 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'44.424
13 Angus Heidecke KTM DE -1Laps
14 Kevin Wouts KTM BEL -1Laps
15 Davide Guarneri TM ITA -1Laps

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 16 of 19

1. Romain Febvre
Yamaha
FRA 638
2. Gautier Paulin Honda FRA 536
3. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 499
4. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 437
5. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 416
6. Maximilian Nagl Husqvarna DE 414
7. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 394
8. Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NLD 361
9. Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 333
10. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 331
11. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 287
12. Dean Ferris Husqvarna AUS 258
13. Tyla Rattray Kawasaki ZAF 238
14. Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 192
15. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 185
16. Christophe Charlier Honda FRA 183
33. Jeffrey DeWulf Yamaha BEL 21
35. Cedric Soubeyras Yamaha FRA 15
37. Matevz Irt Yamaha SVN 13
40. Pier Bertuzzo Yamaha ITA 12
45. Mike Vanderstraeten Yamaha BEL 9
47. Paul Coates Yamaha GBR 7
56. Alfie Smith Yamaha GBR 1
62. Lewis Gregory Yamaha GBR 0

Circuit Length:
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.