Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Defensive Riding Recommended as Motorcycle Deaths Rise Again

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Defensive #Riding Recommended as Motorcycle Deaths Rise Again

ORILLIA, ON, Aug. 14, 2015 /CNW/ - So far this year 25 motorcycle fatalities have been recorded on OPP-patrolled roads and police are appealing to riders to use their defensive driving skills to keep themselves safe.

One of the important things that riders learn when they take a motorcycle training course is to 'drive as if you are invisible', which addresses the fact that car drivers who are looking for bigger vehicles sometimes don't notice motorcyclists in their path, especially at intersections. "I never saw him" is something heard all too often at the scene of a motorcycle crash.

Defensive riding is the most important key to safe motorcycle driving; ride to expect the unexpected. Riders are reminded to be aware of other motorists at all times and be ready with a counter maneuver to avoid their mistakes.

This year twenty-two operators and three passengers have died in motorcycle crashes. Fifteen of those deaths involved persons between the ages of 45 – 65 years of age. Four people died while on a motorcycle in West Region alone within the first week of August. The OPP is reminding all drivers to always have a watchful eye for motorcycles; the safety of motorcyclists is the responsibility of everyone.
Motorcycle riders should be aware of where a motorist's blind spots lie and spend as little time in them as possible. If you can see driver's eyes in their mirrors, then they have the ability to see you too.

SOURCE Ontario Provincial Police
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Defensive Riding Recommended as Motorcycle Deaths Rise Again

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

As bad as those SMIDSYT (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You There) drivers are and they are inexcusably bad, the very worse are those drivers who will look you straight in the eye and try to merge into your lane, or follow behind you right up to your rear tyre and other such potentially homicidal maneuvers. I personally think they hate bikers to the point where they are are actually trying to kill us.
Always ask why.