Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

HAYDEN PODIUMS IN 30TH ANNIVERSARY GSX-R COLOURS

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@HAYDEN PODIUMS IN 30TH ANNIVERSARY #GSX-R COLOURS

Team #Suzuki Press Office – August 11.

Roger Hayden led many laps of the weekend’s MotoAmerica AMA Superbike races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on his Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing GSX-R1000 and scored two close runner-up finishes in both legs of the combined MotoGP/ MotoAmerica event.

It marked the first Superbike races ever at the fabled 106-year-old racing facility and Hayden, team-mate Jake Lewis and the entire Yoshimura Suzuki squad were major players in the momentous occasion.

In addition to the great racing on the track, fans had their phones and cameras out in force all weekend taking photos of the special red and black 30th Anniversary colour scheme used on Hayden’s Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superbike. The colour scheme was nearly identical to the one used by Kevin Schwantz when he first introduced the Suzuki GSX-R750 to AMA Superbike racing in 1986 with Yoshimura Suzuki.

Hayden opened the weekend strong with a special Thursday practice session where he topped the charts. In Friday’s qualifying he finished second with a time of 1:37.949. Lewis was a bit off in the session, only managing sixth in the combined Superbike/ Superstock 1000 qualifying, but he found speed later in the weekend.

“We were excited to qualify on the front row,” Hayden said. “We need to make a few changes and hopefully get the bike better for the race, but so far everything’s going good here in Indianapolis.”

In Saturday’s race one it was Hayden leading the way for many laps on his Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000 and battling back and forth with Cameron Beaubier. On the last lap Hayden was trying to get a great drive out of the final turn to attempt to set-up a draft move, but he spun up just a little bit and lost drive. He gathered it back and mounted a last gasp charge and came up just .040-of-a-second short at the finish line. Lewis meanwhile had an excellent race and caught and then battled defending champion Josh Hayes for much of the race, ending up fourth.

Sunday’s race, held in front of an estimated 67,648 fans, was another great scrap between Hayden and his two rivals Beaubier and Hayes. Unfortunately an epic finish was somewhat diminished when rain began falling and the race was red flagged two laps early. Scoring reverted back a lap and that again placed Hayden second behind Beaubier, just .015 of a second from the win.

“It’s a little disappointing to keep getting second by point-zero-something,” Hayden said. “But the whole Yoshimura Suzuki team has given me a great bike. It’s fun fighting with the two leaders. We want to win and we only have two races left to try to get one. I’m looking forward to New Jersey already and we’ll try to get a win there.”

For Lewis, Indianapolis was especially sweet, not only because he battled Hayes for so long in Saturday’s race, but like Hayden he had many friends and family on hand to watch him at Indy since he lives in neighboring Kentucky.

“This was probably my best week on a Superbike so far even though it was two fourth places,” said Lewis, the outstanding series rookie. “On Saturday I got a bad start, but was able to reel Josh (Hayes) in and had a great battle with him. In race one I was about six seconds back from the winner and today only five seconds. I really wanted to get a podium, especially here at Indy, and I came up just short, but I’m still pretty happy with the weekend. I’m looking forward to New Jersey.”

Next up for Yoshimura Suzuki is the MotoAmerica season finale event at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville on September 11-13th.

Indianapolis Superbike Race 1:

1. Cameron Beaubier (Yam)
2. Roger Hayden (Yoshimura Suzuki)
3. Josh Hayes (Yam)
4. Jake Lewis (Yoshimura Suzuki)
5. Elena Myers (Suzuki)
6. Chris Ulrich (Suzuki)

Indianapolis Superbike Race 2:

1. Cameron Beaubier (Yam)
2. Roger Hayden (Yoshimura Suzuki)
3. Josh Hayes (Yam)
4. Jake Lewis (Yoshimura Suzuki)
5. Chris Ulrich (Suzuki)
6. Elena Myers (Suzuki)

2015 Superbike Championship Points:

1. Cameron Beaubier (Yam), 336
2. Josh Hayes (Yam), 318
3. Roger Hayden (Yoshimura Suzuki), 245
4. Jake Lewis (Yoshimura Suzuki), 223
5. Elena Myers (Suzuki), 133
6. Bernat Martinez (Yam), 127
7. Chris Ulrich (Suzuki), 124
8. Danny Eslick (Hon), 92
9. Chris Fillmore (KTM), 82
10. Mathew Orange (Hon), 40
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.