Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Smith in good form on Sepang debut

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Smith in good form on #Sepang debut

Kyle Smith set the fourth fastest time on his Pata Honda CBR600RR in this morning's opening free practice session for Sunday’s ninth-round World Supersport race at Sepang in Malaysia. Provisional pole position was taken by Italian rider Lorenzo Zanetti as the World Supersport series returned to action following a six-week break.

After a heavy rain shower during the lunch interval, the 5.543km Sepang circuit was fully wet for the start of this afternoon’s second free practice session when Smith, 23, went third quickest.

Smith has not ridden at Sepang before and, as well as familiarizing himself with the demanding circuit, the British rider also had to become reacquainted with his CBR600RR, having ridden a larger 1000cc CBR at last weekend’s Suzuka 8 Hours race in Japan where his FCC TSR Honda team finished second.

Kyle Smith - P4, 2m09.993s

I’m really enjoying the track here and this morning, when it was completely dry, I ended up P4, so I was quite happy with that. It was completely wet this afternoon and I went P3, having been fastest with about 10 minutes to go. I wasn’t riding then because the track was starting to dry out and the conditions weren’t perfect, so I just sat it out but a couple of guys went faster. It’s OK though because I really enjoy riding in the wet! We’ll work a little more on the dry settings, but otherwise it’s all good. The CBR felt pretty good even though it’s a new track for me and I wasn’t really up to speed but it’s not bad for the first day.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Kyle has never been here but he spent some time on a scooter yesterday getting a feel for it. The first session was dry and he went P4 which was a really good start. He’s spent a long time off the bike since Misano and, even in the wet this afternoon, he went very well. It dried up at the end but he was quite confident and comfortable in the wet and he had a good, positive opening day here.

Weather
Dry / Wet

Air
29°C

Track
34°C

Humidity
73%

Free Practice Results

1 Lorenzo Zanetti 2m09.235s ITA MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
2 Jules Cluzel 2m09.338s FRA MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
3 Patrick Jacobson 2m09.710s USA HONDA CORE Motorsport Thailand
4 Kyle Smith 2m09.993s GBR HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
5 Kenan Sofuoglu 2m10.250s TUR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Puccetti Racing
6 Roberto Rolfo 2m10.500s ITA HONDA Team Lorini
7 Marco Faccani 2m10.598s ITA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Puccetti Racing
8 Gino Rea 2m10.893s GBR HONDA CIA Landlords Insurance Honda
9 Martin Cardenas 2m10.988s COL HONDA CIA Landlords Insurance Honda
10 Alex Baldolini 2m11.159s ITA MV Race Department ATK#25
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.