Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Fontanesi relishing FIM WMX title decider

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Fontanesi relishing #FIM #WMX title decider

In forty-eight hours time Kiara Fontanesi could be celebrating her fourth straight FIM Women's World Championship with her YZ250F with a tense finale to the 2015 campaign set to take place at the Grand Prix of Czech Republic at Loket. In a repeat of the title-decider from 2014 - at the same venue - 'Fonta' goes up against season-long rival Livia Lancelot with just two points separating the racers and only two motos left to run. We spoke to the twenty-one year old ahead of another intense and exciting weekend.

Kiara, it is a case of 'same time, same place' for the championship. As a racer do you look forward to situations like this where the winner takes all or is it a pressure cooker?
I'm really happy at the moment because I don't feel the pressure. I have been thinking a lot this month and training a lot. I have won three titles in a row and I was thinking about the journey from where I began and what I have done; it gave me a lot of power to train better and get here fit enough to fight for the title. I cannot wait to ride and I think it is really nice to have a weekend like this because it does not happen that many times in life. When you have the chance in life you have to take it.

So your confidence is there for the motos on Saturday and Sunday…
In almost every race this year I have been almost two seconds faster in every qualification, so I know I am faster. I am strong in my head at the moment and I have never come to a race before with so much feeling of wanting to race. I cannot wait to ride and I think it is really nice to have a weekend like this because it does not happen that many times in life. When you have the chance in life you have to take it. I have learnt a lot over the last year in life generally and I have grown up a lot and that is probably where I am here relaxed and not feeling the pressure. In the end I am doing what I love to do. I have to go out on the track and have fun like I've always done and see what happens. I know if I do my best I will win.

You have two Grand Prix wins from the five so far. Have you adjusted the YZ250F much throughout the season?
I wasn't fit like this in Qatar and I lost six kilos in two months and this helps a lot on the bike! We had some struggles last year because the bike was new but this time we had the chance to get to Qatar [for the opening round] with the perfect bike. We had a couple of suspension changes and I have matured and changed my rhythm a little bit. We have the same setting now as we had last year.

You came to Loket in 2014 after an intense month of preparation and it paid off as you came out victorious in a three-way battle for the crown. Did you do the same this time?
I did the same! I raced a lot at home and was actually supposed to do some more but I had a crash and landed on my back. We had to change the plan a bit but not the preparation. We have pushed really hard and it has been a tough month. I could see last week that the work has made me 'a different story'. We might be in the same situation as last season but I have one more year of experience and the bike is better. I'm better in my mind and fitter; everything can only go better than 2014.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.