Febvre extends championship lead with Latvian MXGP podiumFebvre extends championship lead with Latvian MXGP podium

Daily Motorcycle News has moved Here
totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Febvre extends championship lead with Latvian MXGP podiumFebvre extends championship lead with Latvian MXGP podium

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Febvre extends championship lead with #Latvian #MXGP podium

@Yamaha Factory #Racing Yamalube’s Romain Febvre raced his way to third overall and his seventh consecutive podium finish (the highest tally of any rider this season) at a temperate Kegums for the Grand Prix of Latvia and the twelfth outing of eighteen in the 2015 MXGP FIM Motocross World Championship. Team-mate and also on the YZ450FM, Jeremy Van Horebeek, was seventh overall in front of 23,000 spectators.

After two Grands Prix across hard-pack the loose terrain and sandy texture of the Kegums soil was a welcome change and heavy showers on Saturday night and through Sunday morning helped create a rough, bumpy and technical course. The hard areas of the track still caught out many for grip. On a drier Saturday afternoon Febvre chased Gautier Paulin closely to finish second in the qualification heat and earn the same pick in the gate for Sunday. Van Horebeek could not make the best of starts and also had a small crash to finish seventh; unfortunately for the Belgian it would set a trend on Sunday.

Sunday dawned wet and cool and Kegums was a different prospect. The layout dried quickly but only narrowed the principal racing lines. Febvre tangled with Tommy Searle at the beginning of the first moto and went down. The championship leader then had to embark on a race-long fight back through the pack and his progress was fantastic. He reached eighth position after the thirty minutes and two laps distance. Van Horebeek had Steven Frossard for company for most of the sprint but comfortably kept the French Motocross of Nations winner at bay to make sure of fifth place.

Belated sunshine had arrived by the time of the second motos but the stiff breeze kept a moody sky blowing across the venue. In the next launch Febvre was superb and seized the lead on the second corner to open a seven second margin towards his seventh moto win from the last seven Grands Prix (he is now the most successful MXGP racer this term). Van Horebeek was again frustrated out of the sandy gate and while straining for ground and positions in the top ten suffered a fall that dropped him to thirteenth. ‘89’ rode hard to recover to ninth.

The MXGP classification in Latvia means that Febvre has increased his cushion behind possession of the red plate to 41 points with trips to Czech Republic, Belgium, Italy, Holland, Mexico and the USA still to go. Van Horebeek is eighth and closing on Shaun Simpson in seventh spot.

DP19 Racing Yamaha’s David Philippaerts could only take fifteenth place overall after encountering a recurring problem with his exhaust silencers that restricted the performance of the YZ450F and permitted no better than a 17-16. The former world champion is twelfth in the MXGP table.

With back-to-back events in the bag Yamaha’s MXGP athletes will now be able to take a week to recover and prepare for the sand with three races in August set to take place at Lommel, Mantova and Assen. First up is the slick, hard surface of Loket for the Grand Prix of Czech Republic on July 25-26.

Romain Febvre

8th and 1st for 3rd overall. Championship Position: 1st

“I was maybe second or third on the straight but going into the turn somebody hit me and some of us crashed together. I lost some time restarting the bike and when I was looking at the pack going over one of the jumps I could see that they were really far! I knew it would be difficult to come back but I managed it to eighth. I was really happy with my riding – but not with the result – and I knew with a good start in the second moto I had the speed to lead and made it happen.”

Jeremy Van Horebeek

5th and 9th for 7th overall. Championship Position: 8th

“I have the speed to be in the top three, easily, but if you don't get the start then you need to take risks on the first laps. I rode good today – except for that small crash in the second moto – but I’m always having to come through from the back. Like I said, my pace is good, but something is not clicking at the moment. I’m feeling good and fit. We’ll work hard and make some changes.”

2015 MXGP Latvia

Kegums 13/07/2015

race I
1 Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NLD 34'26.145
2 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'05.257
3 Gautier Paulin Honda FRA 0'45.698
4 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 1'00.847
5 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 1'08.496
6 Steven Frossard KTM FRA 1'12.170
7 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 1'18.466
8 Romain Febvre
Yamaha
FRA 1'19.095
9 Filip Bengtsson Honda SWE 1'24.412
10 Dean Ferris Husqvarna AUS 1'27.896
11 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 1'31.278
12 Christophe Charlier Honda FRA 1'34.136
13 Nathan Watson Husqvarna GBR 1'35.471
14 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'36.755
15 Tanel Leok Kawasaki EST 1'40.702
17 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'54.384
race II
1 Romain Febvre
Yamaha
FRA 35'49.255
2 Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NLD 0'02.389
3 Gautier Paulin Honda FRA 0'03.218
4 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'24.352
5 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 0'31.334
6 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'42.152
7 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'44.601
8 Steven Frossard KTM FRA 0'46.418
9 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'48.018
10 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 0'49.190
11 Filip Bengtsson Honda SWE 1'05.120
12 Dean Ferris Husqvarna AUS 1'08.173
13 Tommy Searle KTM GBR 1'11.166
14 Christophe Charlier Honda FRA 1'12.688
15 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'46.058
16 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'52.087

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 12 of 19

1. Romain Febvre
Yamaha
FRA 457
2. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 416
3. Gautier Paulin Honda FRA 391
4. Maximilian Nagl Husqvarna DE 360
5. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 345
6. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 291
7. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 276
8. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 260
9. Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NLD 243
10. Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 242
11. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 223
12. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 185
13. Dean Ferris Husqvarna AUS 184
14. Tyla Rattray Kawasaki ZAF 159
15. Ken De Dycker KTM BEL 155
16. Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 130
31. Cedric Soubeyras Yamaha FRA 15
37. Matevz Irt Yamaha SVN 9
39. Paul Coates Yamaha GBR 7
41. Pier Bertuzzo Yamaha ITA 6
44. Jeffrey DeWulf Yamaha BEL 3
51. Lewis Gregory Yamaha GBR 0

Circuit Length:
NA

Graulus lights up a hard day for MX2 crew at Latvian MXGP
The Grand Prix of Latvia brought the FIM Motocross World Championship up to round twelve of eighteen of the 2015 campaign and Standing Construct Yamaha’s Valentin Guillod managed to keep third place in the MX2 standings despite a hard day at Kegums and twelfth position overall. Yamaha were able to enjoy some success thanks to Kemea Yamaha’s Damon Graulus taking overall victory in the seventh appointment of nine in the EMX250 European Championship.

Periods of heavy rainfall on Sunday morning and then changeable conditions during the programme meant that the loose terrain at Kegums – with a hard base of rippling bumps – was rough, technical and difficult. Not a traditional sand track by any means (although many riders opted for sand scoop tyre profiles) Kegums provided a mix of demands from mud, soft berms and long ruts as well as areas of hard-pack.

The first moto was a difficult one for the Standing Construct duo with Guillod and Lieber both hitting the deck. It was left to Kemea’s Benoit Paturel to earn the highest classification in eleventh with Guillod twelfth and followed by Lieber. Brent Van Doninck was fifteenth and couldn't find the best feeling around the fast layout.

In the second race British Grand Prix winner Guillod made a great start and was almost first coming down the hill into the third turn when he lost control of the front end of the bike and crashed. The Swiss picked up, but was luckless after being hit by Jordi Tixier while regaining positions later in the moto. It meant another trawl from deep regions of the pack. He managed to claw back some points by taking thirteenth spot. Julien Lieber was frustrated by his start and another mistake but with tenth place was the best YZ250F runner in the moto. A crash for Paturel and slightly improved speed for Van Doninck meant the Kemea boys were reduced to twenty-second and twelfth positions respectively.

The MX2 championship points table shows that Guillod is only ten points from Tim Gajser in second position. Lieber is eighth, Paturel twelfth and Van Doninck sixteenth, although the rookie has missed two Grands Prix due to his knee injury.

In EMX250 Damon Graulus conquered motos in contrasting conditions. The fast, dry ground of Saturday was a happy hunting ground for the Belgian as he escaped to post his fourth moto victory of the campaign (and fourth from the last four meetings). Sunday morning and the second race was a wetter and bumpier test – one hour before the first MX2 moto exited the gate – and Graulus was still carrying good speed. He chased Lars Van Berkel for much of the race before Brian Hsu closed up and started a three man dispute for first position. In a chaotic final two laps Damon managed to reach the flag with fourth, which was still enough for the top step of the podium. He is now fifteen points from Nick Kouwenberg and the red plate with races in Lommel and Assen left to go.

The Grand Prix of Czech Republic will make its traditional stop at the hillside circuit of Loket towards the end of the month for round thirteen.

Valentin Guillod

12th and 13th for 12th overall. Championship Position: 3rd

“Yesterday was OK. My riding was not perfect but today I had a lot of problems. To ride here and in those conditions you have to clutch-it a lot and ride on high rpm and that's not really my style. In the first moto I was tenth and a rider crashed right in front of me in a corner. I had nowhere to go. I was really motivated for the second race because I wanted to do much better and I made the start I needed but in the third corner I came alongside Anstie and lost the front wheel; I really don't know why that happened. My riding after that was not so bad but Tixier hit my rear wheel coming out of a corner and I crashed again. A weekend to forget really.”

Julien Lieber

13th and 10th for 11th overall. Championship Position: 8th

“I crashed in each race…so at least I was consistent with those. We struggled a lot with the start again and we need to find a solution so I am not always stuck in the top fifteen. I need to push too much on tracks that are difficult for overtaking. Not a good weekend but at least I’m healthy. Now we need to work more on the starts…”

Brent Van Doninck

15th and 12th for 15th overall. Championship Position: 16th

“I had an off weekend… I had the same feeling as in Germany, the pace and speed weren’t there and only in the last 15 minutes of the final moto I felt alright. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself. When you get top six finishes you want to be there every weekend but when it already went wrong on Saturday I started riding too tense. It makes me realize I still need to learn a lot and although bad days do not feel good you still have take something from them.”

Benoit Paturel

11th and 22nd for 16th overall. Championship Position: 12th

“I had a really bad weekend. The starts were bad and I could not find a good pace. In the second moto I crashed twice and lost a lot of time to get started again. I already want to forget this weekend but in another way it motivates me to work harder for the next one...”

Damon Graulus

1st and 4th for 1st overall. Championship Position: 2nd

“Yesterday was good and I liked the track. It was a good win. Today was difficult with the mud and the rain and it was hard to pass. I made a couple of mistakes and ended up fourth; I wasn't happy with that but still took the overall after two difficult races in Germany and Sweden. Now we’ll look to Lommel and one of my practice tracks…so I’m really excited.”

2015 MX2 Latvia

Kegums 13/07/2015

race I
1 Max Anstie Kawasaki GBR 35'51.424
2 Pauls Jonass KTM LVA 0'07.869
3 Davy Pootjes KTM NLD 0'13.274
4 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 0'14.611
5 Harri Kullas Suzuki FIN 0'23.594
6 Jordi Tixier Kawasaki FRA 0'29.166
7 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'55.725
8 Ben Watson KTM GBR 0'57.750
9 Roberts Justs KTM LVA 0'58.728
10 Brian Bogers KTM NLD 0'59.584
11 Benoit Paturel
Yamaha
FRA 1'04.767
12 Valentin Guillod
Yamaha
CHE 1'05.192
13 Julien Lieber
Yamaha
BEL 1'12.809
14 Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 1'13.535
15 Brent Vandoninck Yamaha BEL 1'26.810
26 Kevin Fors Yamaha BEL -14Laps
race II
1 Max Anstie Kawasaki GBR 34'44.364
2 Pauls Jonass KTM LVA 0'13.123
3 Harri Kullas Suzuki FIN 0'21.819
4 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'24.819
5 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 0'28.107
6 Brian Bogers KTM NLD 0'30.405
7 Jens Getteman Honda BEL 0'33.825
8 Jordi Tixier Kawasaki FRA 0'36.567
9 Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 0'44.559
10 Julien Lieber
Yamaha
BEL 0'47.071
11 Davy Pootjes KTM NLD 0'53.525
12 Brent Vandoninck Yamaha BEL 0'58.362
13 Valentin Guillod
Yamaha
CHE 1'11.293
14 Ben Watson KTM GBR 1'12.307
15 Samuele Bernardini TM ITA 1'16.382
22 Benoit Paturel
Yamaha
FRA -1Laps
26 Kevin Fors Yamaha BEL -4Laps

MX2 World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 12 of 19

1. Jeffrey Herlings KTM NLD 423
2. Tim Gajser Honda SVN 377
3. Valentin Guillod
Yamaha
CHE 352
4. Pauls Jonass KTM LVA 351
5. Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 345
6. Jordi Tixier Kawasaki FRA 334
7. Max Anstie Kawasaki GBR 312
8. Julien Lieber
Yamaha
BEL 278
9. Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 256
10. Brian Bogers KTM NLD 205
11. Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 205
12. Benoit Paturel
Yamaha
FRA 202
13. Petar Petrov KTM BGR 194
14. Thomas Covington Kawasaki USA 172
15. Roberts Justs KTM LVA 162
16. Brent Vandoninck Yamaha BEL 153
29. Kevin Fors Yamaha BEL 27
32. Damon Graulus
Yamaha
BEL 13
50. Yannis Irsuti Yamaha FRA 0

Circuit Length:
NA
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.