Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Tough weekend for Yamaha at Enduro World Championship’s GP of Portugal

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Tough weekend for @Yamaha at #Enduro World Championship’s GP of #Portugal

Round three of the 2015 EWC series proved challenging for Team Yamaha Miglio.

Despite high hopes of returning to the Enduro 1 class podium following his two third place results at the recent GP of Spain, Team Miglio Yamaha's lead rider Cristobal Guerrero endured a tough GP of Portugal. Performing well during the opening laps on day one, Cristobal was sidelined with a technical issue. Soon up to speed on day two the Spaniard then overcame a handful of small mistakes to take a hard fought fifth place result.

Leading Team Miglio Yamaha home on day one was Italian Gianluca Martini, despite falling during the event's Friday night super test and losing precious time. Fifteenth in class at the beginning of day one, Gianluca's hopes of making a strong start were soon dashed as he crashed twice during the opening lap. Losing more time he continued to push hard, ending the day with his best result of the championship to date.

Finishing seventh, having placed as high as second in class on one of the day's 11 special tests, Gianluca placed just over two-minutes behind eventual winner Eero Remes. On day two Martini performed well, despite a few small mistakes, to claim eight in the Enduro 1 class.

Yamaha France supported rider Marc Bourgeois endured a tough GP of Portugal. Struggling to hold on properly due to picking up a hand injury during day one, he battled his way to eighth on day one and ninth on day two.

After three rounds of the FIM Enduro World Championship Marc Bourgeois, Cristobal Guerrero and Gianluca Martini are placed fifth, sixth and eighth respectively in the Enduro 1 championship standings.

The GP of Portugal proved to be very much a true and tough enduro. With conditions hot and dry during both days of competition, the technical nature of all special tests and the unforgiving terrain ridden during the time controls ensured all that reached the finish did so tired and weary.

The FIM Maxxis Enduro World Championship continues with round four in Serres, Greece on June 6/7.

Cristobal Guerrero

"It's not been the weekend we were hoping for, especially after strong results on day one. Day one was going ok, but then I had a small problem with my bike and I had to stop in one of the motocross tests. It's disappointing, but it can happen in racing. My bike was perfect on day two and I felt quite good. I made some mistakes on the opening lap with some small crashes in the extreme test. Things improved then and I was putting in some good special test times."

Gianluca Martini

"I'm pleased with my results, especially on day one. I had to push hard because I crashed twice on the opening lap and lost 30 seconds. So to finish seventh was really good for me. The competition is tough so I am just trying to push as hard as I can, I feel like I am improving all the time. Day two was a really, really hard day. It was hot and the track was very rough and there was nowhere that you could rest. I finished eighth with a few small mistakes."

Marc Bourgeois
"It's not been a good weekend for me. I hurt my hand during day one so it was very difficult, especially with this race being very rough and technical. I hope that there is no serious damage and it will be ok for the next world championship race in Greece. I pushed hard to get the best result that I could but I lost a lot of points in the championship."

Results – FIM Enduro World Championship, Round 3
Day 1 - Enduro 1
1. Eero Remes (TM) 1:18:20.53
2. Christophe Nambotin (KTM) 1:18:36.59
3. Lorenzo Santolino (Sherco) 1:19:02.02

7. Gianluca Martini (Yamaha) 1:20:32.36;
8. Marc Bourgeois (Yamaha) 1:20:53.08

Day 2 - Enduro 1
1. Christophe Nambotin (KTM) 1:18:37.23
2. Eero Remes (TM) 1:19:27.85
3. Daniel McCanney (Husqvarna) 1:20:31.11

5. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 1:21:13.16
8. Gianluca Martini (Yamaha) 1:22:26.78
9. Marc Bourgeois (Yamaha) 1:22:47.50

Championship Standings (After Round Three)
Enduro 1
1. Christophe Nambotin (KTM) 114pts
2. Eero Remes (TM) 104pts
3. Daniel McCanney (Husqvarna) 79pts

5. Marc Bourgeois (Yamaha) 66pts
6. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 63pts
8. Gianluca Martini (Yamaha) 45pts
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.