Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Honda Racing takes positives from the North West 200

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Honda #Racing takes positives from the North West 200

It’s been a positive outing for Honda Racing in challenging conditions at the North West 200 this week. Practice, qualifying and racing at the 8.9-mile Northern Ireland circuit has been plagued with tricky weather conditions, delays and cancellations to the schedule throughout.

John McGuinness and Conor Cummins had good runs on the Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP in all Superbike sessions, qualifying third and ninth respectively on the grid. Due to the different weather conditions in both practice and qualifying the original starting positions were amended and decided on an alternate grid pattern, which saw McGuinness move back to fifth and Cummins 11th.

The first Superbike race of the day was red flagged on the first lap and the restart took place just after 4pm, which saw the race shortened from seven to five laps. On the restart McGuinness got a good start off the line and was running in sixth place after the first lap, which is the position he held for most of the race and crossed the line in.

Meanwhile team-mate Cummins was running in eighth place when on the third lap he had a moment and wasn’t sure if it was to do with the high winds or a mechanical issue so returned to the pits, where the mechanics had a look over the bike. With no problems found the Manxman returned to the track and completed the final lap of the race, after being in the pits for one lap.

The second Superbike race of the day was called off by the organisers due to high winds around the circuit and the concern for all riders’ safety.

The Honda Racing squad will now turn its full focus to the Isle of Man TT races, which begin on Monday 1 June where both McGuinness and Cummins will compete in the two Superbike races for Honda Racing.

John McGuinness

We qualified in a good place in P3 before the positions were changed, but at the end of the day we were third and I was happy with that. I felt strong throughout the race and got a good start, I was running in sixth for most of the race and was riding strong and probably the best I have since I broke my wrist last year. It was tricky out there with the wind but I enjoyed myself, the bike’s feeling great and although it’s not been the easiest of weeks with the conditions, we have a race under our belt. The second race was a shame as we were all ready on the grid, but safety is the main thing and someone has to make the decision – I’m just glad it’s not me! I’m looking forward now to the TT, we’re in good shape and I can’t wait to get going.

Conor Cummins

We were flying in the race and I was really happy with the bike and how I was going, although the wind was causing some problems but that was the same for everyone. I had a slide going into one of the fast corners and wasn’t too sure what it was so came into the pits for the mechanics to have a look over the bike, but all was fine and I headed back out for the final lap. It was a shame as I was in the leading pack but it just wasn’t meant to be today. It’s onwards and upwards now to the TT where I can hopefully make amends.

Neil Tuxworth

We’re very pleased with both riders and the Superbike results today, until Conor had his slight problem in the race they were both running within two-seconds of the leaders for the duration. John finished sixth and was only 4.5 seconds behind the winner. Both John and Conor are happy with their bikes and we feel that all the tests we completed over the winter have worked out for us and we’re in a really strong position now for the upcoming Isle of Man TT races.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.