Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Smith on second row for Supersport debut

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Smith on second row for #Supersport debut

Kyle Smith will start his first World Supersport championship race from the second row of the grid after setting the fifth fastest time in the final qualifying session for tomorrow’s first round of the 2015 season at Phillip Island in Australia.

The 23-year-old British rider continued to make progress with his Pata Honda CBR600RR machine and was well-placed in the qualifying session this afternoon before crashing unhurt on the exit of turn six at the 4.445km Phillip Island circuit.

Smith managed to bring his machine back to the box with enough time remaining in the session for his Pata Honda crew to fix the bike and send him out with 10 minutes remaining on the clock.

He was able to put thoughts of the crash behind him and improve his time but not his position, setting a time of 1m33.977s, 0.5s behind the pole time of French rider Jules Cluzel.

Kyle Smith - P5, 1m33.977s

I’m really, really happy to take a second row start in my first World Supersport qualifying session. I’ve had some pretty good results in the past from the second row but I think this morning actually went better than this afternoon. I pushed a little bit too hard in qualifying and had a crash. I managed to get back on and went a bit better when the guys fixed the bike, but I think I was trying a bit too hard. But, that happens sometimes and all in all I’m feeling really good. We’ve got a little trouble with tyre life which we’ll work on some more tomorrow, but this track has always thrown up tyre problems. I’m quite aggressive on the throttle and like to spin the rear but that really doesn’t help here, so I need to work on that. I’ll try to get a good start and be smooth a nd concentrate on not wearing that tyre out before the end of the race.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Kyle continued with his good pace today and did a good run this morning. We still need to work to get more life out of the tyres, but he did a 33.6 this morning. This afternoon he had a small crash but was OK and did a 33.9 for fifth on the grid. Considering this his is very first weekend at Phillip Island and his first on the World Supersport CBR, I think he’s done a really good job and he can be battling for a podium position tomorrow.

Weather
Sunny

Air
33°C

Track
59°C

Humidity
42%

Qualifying Results

1 Jules Cluzel 1m33.379 FRA MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
2 Kenan Sofuoglu 1m33.521 TUR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Puccetti Racing
3 Lorenzo Zanetti 1m33.551 ITA MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
4 Gino Rea 1m33.637 GBR HONDA CIA Landlords Insurance Honda
5 Kyle Smith 1m33.977 GBR HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
6 Ratthapark Wilairot 1m33.988 THA HONDA CORE Motorsport Thailand
7 Lucas Mahias 1m34.307 FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
8 Roberto Rolfo 1m34.332 ITA HONDA Team Lorini
9 Dominic Schmitter 1m34.332 SUI KAWASAKI Team GO Eleven
10 Riccardo Russo 1m34.520 ITA HONDA CIA Landlords Insurance Honda
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.