Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

World champion on top again in France

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

World champion on top again in #France

Recently-crowned World Supersport champion Michael van der Mark was in imperious form at Magny-Cours in France today in round 10 of the 2014 series that he wrapped up one month ago.

The Pata Honda rider dominated both of today’s free practice sessions on his Honda CBR600RR to finish the day in provisional pole position with a time of 1m41.744s ahead of another free practice tomorrow morning and qualifying in the afternoon.

Van der Mark was almost 0.7s ahead of his nearest rival after this morning’s 45-minute opening session and, despite only marginally improving his time this afternoon, still ended the day 0.2s ahead of Italian Roberto Tamburini.

His Pata Honda team-mate Lorenzo Zanetti set the ninth fastest time today, improving his time by 0.5s between morning and afternoon sessions. However, the Italian is clear where improvements are required in order to secure a strong qualifying position for Sunday’s 19-lap race at the 4.411km Magny-Cours circuit.

Michael van der Mark - P1, 1m41.744s

The first day has been really good. We started step-by-step this morning and in the end I could do a really fast lap time – faster than I’ve ever been here. This afternoon we tried some different things but they didn’t really work. I improved my lap time a little bit but I wasn’t really comfortable. I was going for another really big step so for tomorrow we will change things back. I have a good feeling for the weekend.

Lorenzo Zanetti - P9, 1m42.496s

It’s been a strange day because I haven’t really been able to get a good feeling. I am seven tenths from Mikey in ninth place but I have been trying to work for the race. I don’t know why but I don’t really have a good sensation on the bike and I have been trying to find out why with my chief mechanic. It is mostly in the long right-hander at the beginning of the lap and in the two chicanes where the bike is heavy to change direction. The rest of the lap is OK so I’ll work hard tomorrow to try and improve.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

The pressure is off Michael this weekend and his performance today has shown that. He was leading the pack in the opening session this morning. The other guys closed a little this afternoon but he didn’t really change much on the bike. Lorenzo found things a little more difficult and wasn’t comfortable in finding a lap time. His position isn’t too bad but consistency is not there yet, and he’s not completely happy with the bike. So we’ll see how we can help him with this for tomorrow.

Weather
Sunny Intervals

Air
26°C

Track
42°C

Humidity
45%

Free Practice Results - Results

1 Michael van der Mark 1m41.744s NED HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
2 Roberto Tamburini 1m41.947s ITA KAWASAKI San Carlo Puccetti Racing
3 Lucas Mahias 1m42.115s FRA YAMAHA MG Competition
4 Florian Marino 1m42.230s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
5 Kev Coghlan 1m42.277s GBR YAMAHA DMC Panavto-Yamaha
6 Massimo Roccoli 1m42.305s ITA MV MV Agusta Reparto Corse
7 Kenan Sofuoglu 1m42.412s TUR KAWASAKI MAHI Racing Team India
8 Jack Kennedy 1m42.422s IRL HONDA CIA Insurance Honda
9 Lorenzo Zanetti 1m42.496s ITA HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
10 David Schmitter 1m42.560s SUI YAMAHA HAGN-SKM Racing
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.