Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

TONKOV CLAIMS THIRD IN MXGP CLASS AT MXON

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#TONKOV CLAIMS THIRD IN #MXGP CLASS AT #MXON

Wilvo Nestaan Husqvarna Factory Racing team rider Aleksandr Tonkov claimed third overall in the MXGP class at this year’s Motocross of Nations in Kegums, Latvia. Representing Russia, Tonkov’s debut ride aboard a 350F machine saw the youngster deliver impressive fifth and sixth place results, having lead the event’s opening moto.

Unsure if he would be able to compete due to the burns he sustained to his shoulder and arm at the final round of the 2014 Motocross World Championship, Aleksandr delivered two incredible rookie MXGP performance in Latvia, in doing so he played an important role in helping Russia finish eighth overall.

Showing that he would figure prominently come Sunday’s main race programme, Tonkov recorded the fastest MXGP time during Saturday’s Free Practice session before going on to perform well in his qualifying heat. Leader for much of the race, Aleksandr eventually finished seventh following a clash with Jeremy van Horebeek.

Securing the holeshot in the opening MXGP and MX2 moto, Tonkov set the pace for four laps before holding the runner-up position until lap 13. A small mistake at the end of the pit-lane straight saw Aleksandr drop one further position to Ryan Dungey, before eventually placing an impressive fifth.

Competing in the event’s closing race – the MXGP and Open class – Aleksandr again started well, ending the opening lap in fourth. Moving forward to third on lap three the Wilvo Nestaan Husqvarna Factory Racing team rider once again found himself surrounded by considerably more experienced MXGP riders, yet ended the race a strong sixth. In doing so he earned third overall in the MXGP class behind Gauthier Paulin and Jeremy van Horebeek.

Aleksandr Tonkov: “It has been a really amazing event, and I’m very pleased with the way I rode. After my shoulder and arm got burned when I crashed at the last GP I wasn’t sure if I would be able to race here, but I am so pleased that I did. The Motocross of Nations is such a great race and racing Husqvarna’s 350F was incredible. I loved the track and felt good all weekend. To finish as well as I did on both motos is incredible. The first race was amazing – I got the holeshot and lead the race for many laps. I made one or two small mistakes, which cost me some positions, but it was still a great result to finish fifth. The second moto was also really good. Finishing sixth and getting third overall first time out on a 350F in a major event is incredible.”

Results – 2014 Motocross of Nations, MXGP class

Moto 1 - MXGP-MX2
1 Gautier Paulin
2 Ryan Dungey
3 Max Nagl
4 Jeremy van Horebeek
5 Aleksandr Tonkov (Wilvo Nestaan Husqvarna Factory Racing)

Moto 3 - MXGP-Open
1 Gautier Paulin
2 Jeremy van Horebeek
3 Eli Tomac
4 Steven Frossard
5 Dean Wilson
6 Aleksandr Tonkov (Wilvo Nestaan Husqvarna Factory Racing)

Overall MXGP class:
1 Gautier Paulin
2 Jeremy van Horebeek
3 Aleksandr Tonkov (Wilvo Nestaan Husqvarna Factory Racing)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.