Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

JORGE MARTIN WRAPS UP FINAL 2014 RED BULL MOTOGP ROOKIES RAC

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JORGE MARTIN WRAPS UP FINAL 2014 @REDBULL @MOTOGP ROOKIES #RACE

The fact that he had already been declared series winner of the 2014 Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup on Saturday did not deter Spanish rider Jorge Martin from attacking a wet and slippery track for the final race of the season at home in Aragon.

And while the newly crowned Cup winner did take the race by some seven seconds, he still had to work for it by chasing down fellow Spaniard Marc Garcia who was out in front for ten of the 15-laps before settling what was his sixth race win. Garcia finished second and Britain’s Bradley Ray took the final podium place.

Martin can be well pleased to leave this weekend with the title in his pocket, knowing he took the prize by a substantial 57-points margin. His win also opens the way for him to move up to the Moto3 World Championship in 2014.

But in the final race it was the 14-year-old Garcia who seized the initiative at the start. He got away well from the third row and immediately went after Saturday’s race winner, Spaniard Joan Mir. Martin. The outcome was better for Garcia, who took the lead, than for Mir who fell victim to the wet track and slid off into the gravel after the opening laps.

Martin: “There was a lot happening the guys were sliding about a bit and we got a bit close early on. Then I managed to find some space and chase after Garcia. He was riding well though and I made a couple of mistakes but managed to get away with it. He didn't make it easy for me, he fought back but in the end I could get away.”
Martin a worthy champion
The victory in the final race wrapped up a near perfect season for Jorge Martin, who was happy to round it off with a victory in the last race. “For me though my best win was in Mugello, to win that one so convincingly I think said something to the Moto3 teams and of course that is where I hope to be next year. But all of the wins have been great and I have loved being in the Rookies Cup,” Martin said.

Garcia was a well-deserved runner up in Sunday’s race. “I got a good start and managed to get into the lead with a good rhythm. I realized that Jorge was catching me and pushed as much as I could but he did a great job. I am so happy to finish my first year like this.”

Brad Ray fought back after a difficult start and said it had taken him a while to get past the pack in the early stages. “Once I did get into third I could see the leaders ahead and I was closing the gap a bit but I realized that it just wasn't happening quick enough. I knew I had to settle for third,” he said.

Fourth place went to French rider Corentin Perolari, his best result for the season and popular Turkish rider Toprak Razgatlıoğlu took fifth.

The next Rookies action event is the Selection Event on October 14-16 at Guadix in Spain where young riders get the chance to show their skills in the hope of being invited to join the 2015 Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup.
Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup
Final round results at Aragon, Spain
All riders on KTM RC 250 R bikes
1, Jorge Martin, ESP, 34.27.764
2, Marc Garcia, ESP, 34.35.098
3, Bradley Ray, GBR, 34:44.1442
4, Corentin Perolari, FRA, 24:46.436
5, Toprak Razgatlioglu, TUR, 34:56.821
6, Aris Michail, GER, 35:06.865
7, Bo Bendsneyder, NED, 35:08.374
8, Stefano Manzi, ITA, 35:16.983
9, Darryn Binder, RSA, 35:46.562
10, Soushi Mihara, JPN, 35:51.970
Final Championship Standings
1, Martin 254 (2014 Cup Champion)
2, joan Mir, ESP, 197
3, Manzi, 193
4, Ray 152
5, Manuel Pagliani, ITA, 134
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.