Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Yamaha Take 2014 World Endurance Championship Victory

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Yamaha Take 2014 World #Endurance Championship Victory

The Yamaha Racing GMT94 Michelin Yamalube team has taken title victory in the 2014 FIM World Endurance Championship with the Yamaha YZF-R1. Riders David Checa, Kenny Foray and Mathieu Gines made the last race of the season count yesterday, working tirelessly through the night to score second on the podium in the gruelling 24Heures du Moto at Le Mans.

With several teams in the running for the title in the run up to last weekend’s race everything was to play for in the toughest road race in the world. The French team employed a brilliant strategy, working carefully through the practice and qualifying sessions to focus on their overall set up.

Having qualified in fifth position the team then dropped over 40 places in the first lap of the race when a crashing rider collided with David Checa. Luckily he was uninjured and the following incredible team effort then saw an unstoppable climb up the ranks. As the team rode through the night their skills and the abilities of the Yamaha YZF-R1 where put to the test as they swapped between rain and slick tyres to battle the changing elements. As dawn broke the team were securely in second place and held it to the race finish, closing the distance to the lead bike with every lap.

The podium finish delivered an impressive point score of 50 to take the team’s total to 141 points in the final standings, 37 ahead of their closest rivals.

GMT94 were not the only Yamaha team to put the R1 on the podium as the Yamaha Austria Racing team also put in an incredible ride to take third on the Le Mans podium. Riders Broc Parkes, Sheridan Morais and Michael Laverty started the weekend in style, securing third on qualifying with their R1.

Despite a small crash by Broc Parkes the team were consistently one of the fastest on track, quickly rising to third position and holding it to the line through the wet and dry circuit challenges for their hard earned podium finish.

YART’s third place gives them 43 points, taking their total to 70 in the final standings and placing them in sixth overall for the 2014 Championship.

David Checa

Yamaha Racing GMT94
"To be on the gravel after 24 seconds of race and to be world champion after 24 hours really demonstrates how difficult the competition was! But I feel lucky to be here. That was a near miss - things could have changed dramatically! We made a very regular season. Even if we did not manage to get it, we were always aiming for victory and this world champion title is a great reward."

Kenny Foray

Yamaha Racing GMT94
"It is my fifth season with the GMT94 team and we've been expecting this moment from a very long time! It is the result of hard work and a close team with whom I feel really great. I will be happy to share this title with each member of the team, my family, my friends and all the people who were supporting us in the good moments and in the difficult ones during all those years."

Mathieu Ginès

Yamaha Racing GMT94
"My first season with the GMT94 ends on a high note. I knew that the team had a strong potential, I knew my teammates and Michelin before joining the team. I certainly do not regret my choice because it was an extraordinary human adventure with a fantastic technical staff."

Christophe Guyot

Yamaha Racing GMT94 Team Manager
“I would just like to say that I am very happy for the riders, David Checa Kenny Foray and Mathieu Gines are top riders. The bike is really good and the team worked really hard every day since the beginning of the season to get this title. Many people are behind us, it is so important that everybody believes in the team, bike and riders. This is especially true in endurance, when you are in difficulties and you start from last position and three laps behind everybody else. You can’t do anything without top riders. For me all three 100% deserve the title, they are the best Endurance riders in the world, I am very proud of them for this achievement. I also need to say thank you to all at Yamaha for their support in helping us achieve this amazing result.”

Eric De Seynes

Operational Director, Yamaha Motor Europe
"This title rewards the quality of the involvement of a team, a spirit and professionalism that merged with the special features of Endurance. Yamaha was able to evolve in this championship thanks to a common motivation, to a bike, the R1, that has been significantly developed during the last three years. World Endurance is a production road-racing championship that allows us to operate our bikes in the hardest conditions and also to get closer to our customers. It is a beautiful image for the motorsport."

FIM World Endurance Championship Final Standings
1 Yamaha Racing - GMT 94 - Michelin 141
2 Suzuki Endurance Racing Team 104
3 Team Bolliger Switzerland #8 100
4 National Motos 80
5 SRC Kawasaki 72
6 Monster Energy Yamaha - YART 70
7 Honda Racing 63
8 Team Motors Events April Moto 60
9 Team R2CL 54
10 Flembbo Leader Team 47
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.