Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Dominant Spanish pole position for van der Mark

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Dominant #Spanish pole position for van der Mark

Pata #Honda #rider Michael van der Mark will start tomorrow’s ninth-round World Supersport championship race from pole position after setting the fastest time in this afternoon’s qualifying session at the Jerez circuit in southern Spain.

The 21-year-old Dutch rider, who can secure the 2014 World Supersport title tomorrow if he takes three points more than series rival Jules Cluzel, has been fastest in every session at the 4.423km Jerez circuit and extended that domination with a 1m44.293s lap this afternoon.

Van der Mark’s Pata Honda team-mate Lorenzo Zanetti will start alongside him on the front row of the grid for tomorrow’s 19-lap race after setting the third fastest time this afternoon.

Kena Sofuoglu was second fastest today but must begin the race from pitlane after contravening engine durability regulations during the season. Zanetti consequently moves up one place for a Pata Honda 1-2 on the grid.

Michael van der Mark - P1, 1m44.293s

Today was a really good day! We started fast again this morning and I did quite a long run on a really good pace which was really good for confidence in the set-up. This afternoon we decided to try some little things which worked OK but the track was warming up a lot, which reduced the grip. At the end Lorenzo and I worked together and we have a 1-2 on the grid which is amazing for the team and the race tomorrow.

Lorenzo Zanetti - P3, 1m44.489s

In the end, I think this is a great result for the team after some great teamwork this afternoon. Mikey [van der Mark] and me helped each other today which is good for tomorrow and for the first time this season we will start first and second on the grid. Tomorrow is important for me – I want to try to win but, of course, I understand the situation with Mikey, who can win the championship here. If I can stay fighting for the victory I think maybe I can help Mikey but I will try my best and see what happens.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Michael has been strong and leading all sessions here at Jerez. Today he just finished it off with pole position which is a fantastic way to start tomorrow’s race. What’s also great to see is that, after quite a bad morning session today, Lorenzo drastically picked up the pace this afternoon. After working together with Michael he will start from second position on the grid which is a fantastic team effort, so it was a really good day in the office. Tomorrow is an important day when we could win a championship but we have to keep things together, get a good start and, hopefully, have an exciting race.

Weather
Sunny

Air
30°C

Track
50°C

Humidity
49%

Qualifying Results

1 Michael van der Mark 1m44.293s NED HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
2 Kenan Sofuoglu 1m44.433s TUR KAWASAKI MAHI Racing Team India
3 Lorenzo Zanetti 1m44.489s ITA HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
4 Florian Marino 1m44.699s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
5 Patrick Jacobson 1m44.745s USA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
6 Ratthapark Wilairot 1m44.745s THA HONDA Core PTR Honda
7 Jack Kennedy 1m44.788s IRL HONDA CIA Insurance Honda
8 Raffaele De Rosa 1m44.838s ITA HONDA Core PTR Honda
9 Roberto Rolfo 1m44.986s ITA KAWASAKI Team GO Eleven
10 Jules Cluzel 1m44.996s FRA MV MV Agusta RC
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.