Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Van der Mark in control at Jerez

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Van der Mark in control at #Jerez

Despite two months away from his @Pata @Honda #CBR600RR, Michael van der Mark began round nine of the World Supersport championship at Jerez in Spain in sparkling form today.

The 21-year-old Dutch rider and current series leader finished on top of the time sheets in both free practice sessions despite, like many other top riders, being unable to improve on his morning time as track temperatures soared to 55 degrees.

Van der Mark’s Pata Honda team-mate, Lorenzo Zanetti, 27, was fifth fastest in this morning’s cooler conditions but finished Free Practice 2 in second place, only fractionally slower than his team-mate this afternoon.

With similar weather conditions expected at the 4.423km Jerez circuit tomorrow, the afternoon qualifying session to determine grid positions for Sunday’s race, in which the destination of this year’s world title could be decided, will be as important as ever.

Michael van der Mark - P1

I’ve got to be quite happy with that after such a long break. I haven’t ridden the CBR for eight weeks so it took some getting used to again but we were fast from the first session. I had a good feeling with the bike and we tried some other things this afternoon, but the track temperature was a little bit too high. We lost a bit of grip but the overall feeling is good and, after the long summer break, we are up to speed again.

Lorenzo Zanetti - P5

Finally we’re back! This morning was a little strange after two months off the bike but at the end of the session I was able to get into the top five, which was good. Today I had a good motivation because I want to fight for the podium here and I need to work a lot on race distance. I tried a few tyre options today on the front and the rear and I was second fastest this afternoon. OK, Mikey [van der Mark] and me had some problems because the track temperature was so high but at the moment the base setting is really good.

Pieter Breddels - technical co-ordinator

Lorenzo knew what he had to do here and that’s to get back to the top three. In the morning when it was cooler he improved his time at the end of the session. Even when it was really hot this afternoon he managed to go second. From the first lap this morning to the last lap this afternoon Michael has been really fast. He has one or two things to sort but he’s calm and in control, so it’s been a good start to the weekend.

Weather
Sunny

Air
31°C

Track
55°C

Free Practice Results - combined times

1 Michael van der Mark 1m44.344s NED HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
2 Kenan Sofuoglu 1m44.871s TUR KAWASAKI MAHI Racing Team India
3 Kev Coghlan 1m44.885s GBR YAMAHA DMC Panavto-Yamaha
4 Florian Marino 1m45.027s FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
5 Lorenzo Zanetti 1m45.179s ITA HONDA Pata Honda World Supersport Team
6 Patrick Jacobson 1m45.377s USA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres
7 Jack Kennedy 1m45.415s IRL HONDA CIA Insurance Honda
8 Jules Cluzel 1m45.451s FRA MV MV Agusta RC
9 Roberto Tamburini 1m45.488s ITA KAWASAKI San Carlo Puccetti Racing
10 Roberto Rolfo 1m45.674s ITA KAWASAKI Team GO Eleven
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.